Hard Way

What changes should be made to Reach's competitive settings going forward?

Just now, flawlesscowboy said:

?

Construct has never been fun to actually play, and Guardian's a variable festival of fuckery. Maybe fun in social. Preeeeeeeeeeetty meh and lopsided for any competitive game.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

32 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Construct has never been fun to actually play, and Guardian's a variable festival of fuckery. Maybe fun in social. Preeeeeeeeeeetty meh and lopsided for any competitive game.

Alright. I don't agree, especially about construct. Haven't had a bad game on it yet even in losses

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Construct is great, but to each his own.

6 minutes ago, flawlesscowboy said:

Alright. I don't agree, especially about construct. Haven't had a bad game on it yet even in losses

That's fine. It's not about having bad games, though, lol. The map in general is meh. Poor layout. Gametypes suck for it. And in general it's snowbally.

1 minute ago, TheIcePrincess said:

That's fine. It's not about having bad games, though, lol. The map in general is meh. Poor layout. Gametypes suck for it. And in general it's snowbally.

That's not what I meant. The gameplay has been up to par with the rest of the rotation. Portals instead of lifts in the purples make a big difference, and it was already better in H3 than you are making out in my opinion. Hill is the best gametype for it and forces players to use the whole map. I enjoy it much more than BC Hill for example

1 minute ago, flawlesscowboy said:

That's not what I meant. The gameplay has been up to par with the rest of the rotation. Portals instead of lifts in the purples make a big difference, and it was already better in H3 than you are making out in my opinion. Hill is the best gametype for it and forces players to use the whole map. I enjoy it much more than BC Hill for example

It's also top-heavy. Making setups supremely snowbally at higher levels. And power weapons spawn in power positions, even regardless of hill position. Likewise, Hill could be done better on other maps. It's subpar at the "most" if you're generous on Construct. Map's one of the worst in comp Halo 3, only rivaled by Narrows. Because Narrows is that bad. 

29 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

And power weapons spawn in power positions

sniper spawn is a power position? idk...

2 minutes ago, znot said:

sniper spawn is a power position? idk...

More so referring to our pleasant boi, rockies. Sniper's problem is, teehee. The map's design. So you can camp a wide ramp with long lines of sight. With enemies possessing a BR that doesn't work at range.

im sure construct plays better on reach than h3 but i'd rather play a non-remake than play just remakes. we got pit and sanc. and if u watch any pros play the most complained about gametype is construct in general and guaridan ball, mainly because they always go to time though that's not the sole reason. 

same goes for a wizard remake. 

enjoyment doesnt make a gametype good. many people enjoy no shields shotty chiron. that doesn't make it a fit for competitive play. Just because one enjoys a bad map, doesn't give it merit. 

We don't have any DMR domes like we had in ce/h2/h3/h2a so there's room there. 

Bomb and oddball are amazing gametypes that should be utilized. 

42 minutes ago, Riddler said:

im sure construct plays better on reach than h3 but i'd rather play a non-remake than play just remakes. we got pit and sanc. and if u watch any pros play the most complained about gametype is construct in general and guaridan ball, mainly because they always go to time though that's not the sole reason. 

same goes for a wizard remake. 

enjoyment doesnt make a gametype good. many people enjoy no shields shotty chiron. that doesn't make it a fit for competitive play. Just because one enjoys a bad map, doesn't give it merit. 

We don't have any DMR domes like we had in ce/h2/h3/h2a so there's room there. 

Bomb and oddball are amazing gametypes that should be utilized. 

Honestly I'd say the ONLY reason some h3 maps works was because the BR just didn't work half the time. In reach it's a bit different since the DMR has more range. Meaning a map like narrows is a bit harder to play when ppl can basically 5 you from their spawn. Unlike h3 where it's literally impossible to even hit someone from spawn basically.

But I'm not against making the game faster, if anything this should just increase the pace like H2 hopefully. Meaning less dumb plays like H3

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

It's also top-heavy. Making setups supremely snowbally at higher levels. And power weapons spawn in power positions, even regardless of hill position. Likewise, Hill could be done better on other maps. It's subpar at the "most" if you're generous on Construct. Map's one of the worst in comp Halo 3, only rivaled by Narrows. Because Narrows is that bad. 

You think Narrows flag is bad? Or TS. Because I think Narrows CTF is one of the most solid experiences in Halo as a franchise. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

You think Narrows flag is bad? Or TS. Because I think Narrows CTF is one of the most solid experiences in Halo as a franchise

Anything Narrows. How do you think Narrows CTF is solid? It has snipe, the entire map is free snipe range, rockets spawn in the one area that is the rocket's range, with a BR that doesn't work fully. On top of the infamous spawns where you can predictably spawn into someone's reticle. It's far from it.

Please no more remakes. We don't need them. We have a chance to be creative and we should use it.

Edit:  Pretend for a second that we could institute normal gravity outside on Anchor 9. How would you forge that area?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, znot said:

Had to show you. Got some time for the Reach flinch stuff. It's bad. The example here's a tad extreme, but it's mostly just showing how far out you can be and your reticle will still level out with someone's head, and get closer if they fire to you. Flinch affects you when you're 180'ed, so, you know, could very well 180 level out on you, too. Obviously it's unrealistic, here. But what I'm saying is, you could literally stand still and have a person strafe and fire bullets to you to push your reticle to them without aiming. EVEN if it's not a killshot, the sniper is sooooo bad, lmao.

Beep.

Boop.

2 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

You think Narrows flag is bad? Or TS. Because I think Narrows CTF is one of the most solid experiences in Halo as a franchise. 

Have forgers gotten over their collective distaste for “linear aggression” maps like Narrows?  I just see it as one design style among many.  

2 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Anything Narrows. How do you think Narrows CTF is solid? It has snipe, the entire map is free snipe range, rockets spawn in the one area that is the rocket's range, with a BR that doesn't work fully. On top of the infamous spawns where you can predictably spawn into someone's reticle. It's far from it.

you seem to think only on paper and not in practice. in practice it's fine.

though I agree on paper it's a pretty dumb map. It's just a line... Idk how they expected anyone to be able to push up. Oh wait, h3 BR. Solved that issue.

48 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Have forgers gotten over their collective distaste for “linear aggression” maps like Narrows?  I just see it as one design style among many.  

No, same for midship style 2 base 2 tower maps. They despise how overused it is! Too bad it works!

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Had to show you. Got some time for the Reach flinch stuff. It's bad. The example here's a tad extreme, but it's mostly just showing how far out you can be and your reticle will still level out with someone's head, and get closer if they fire to you. Flinch affects you when you're 180'ed, so, you know, could very well 180 level out on you, too. Obviously it's unrealistic, here. But what I'm saying is, you could literally stand still and have a person strafe and fire bullets to you to push your reticle to them without aiming. EVEN if it's not a killshot, the sniper is sooooo bad, lmao.

Beep.

Boop.

Ahh seems like it reacts to the damage indicator. A noob friendly way of showing the player where they're getting shot from and helping them in that direction. So now all those times those kids stand still before they blained me makes sense. /s

Awesome more reasons to hate reach

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Please no more remakes. We don't need them. We have a chance to be creative and we should use it.

Edit:  Pretend for a second that we could institute normal gravity outside on Anchor 9. How would you forge that area?

Ramps to get up to "sword". Maybe block off that ledge outside so people don't hide behind the glass, I always hated glass you can't shoot through. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I agree with no additional remakes, but I am not sure why A9 is such a big topic still. Even if the space area was normal gravity the map just doesn't have a good layout and Pit would probably be way better for CTF which would be A9's strongest gametype while Bomb would just be broken on it.

1 hour ago, Basu said:

Ramps to get up to "sword". Maybe block off that ledge outside so people don't hide behind the glass, I always hated glass you can't shoot through. 

Just remember how the bases look on that map, there is no way you can magically make the map work for Bomb with a few ramps or bridges, we would have to cut the bases into pieces and redesign them to even think about Bomb.

Pretty sure on paper Zealot is the strongest Bomb map in our hands, it makes the closed side of the map more useful, the grenade launcher is better if you have to push into their base and defend it and most spawns have good potential to contest the bomb - even the basement spawns have the potential to jump right up to the flag area.

8 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

I agree with no additional remakes, but I am not sure why A9 is such a big topic still. Even if the space area was normal gravity the map just doesn't have a good layout and Pit would probably be way better for CTF which would be A9's strongest gametype while Bomb would just be broken on it.

Just remember how the bases look on that map, there is no way you can magically make the map work for Bomb with a few ramps or bridges, we would have to cut the bases into pieces and redesign them to even think about Bomb.

Pretty sure on paper Zealot is the strongest Bomb map in our hands, it makes the closed side of the map more useful, the grenade launcher is better if you have to push into their base and defend it and most spawns have good potential to contest the bomb - even the basement spawns have the potential to jump right up to the flag area.

Pretty much this. I will say though, that Warlock was played in comp settings in Reach and Warlord Bomb was considered by several pros to be the best gametype in H2A. Only thing really holding it back in Reach was the teleporters and that seems like the type of thing 343 might fix considering it would be helpful for forge in general.

Also I've talked to some comp players that competed in Reach, and there's a lot of resistance to Ball because of how far it rolls, iirc that was why it wasn't used in v7. Hoping that can be adjusted so we can have Element/Android/Zealot/Warlord Ball as options (we'd probably only use one of those, though) and we can try to dig for a good setup-style ball map to go with it.

3 hours ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Can you elaborate on why it wouldn't work? I've played a 3v3 neutral bomb with TU settings on default Anchor 9 in the last 6 months and I quite enjoyed it.

43 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Can you elaborate on why it wouldn't work? I've played a 3v3 neutral bomb with TU settings on default Anchor 9 in the last 6 months and I quite enjoyed it.

Concerns were mostly about spawns and how closed off the bases are while the space between the bases aside from sword/top mid is just complete no man's land.

The map was tested a quite lot for MLG back in the day but they just couldn't make it work. That said, we should definitely test it for bomb and maybe CTF although we already have a surplus of flag maps.

The halo 3 Br is pretty inaccurate to a point where it difficult to judge how it’d play in a game like reach especially v7. 

8 hours ago, znot said:

you seem to think only on paper and not in practice. in practice it's fine.

though I agree on paper it's a pretty dumb map. It's just a line... Idk how they expected anyone to be able to push up. Oh wait, h3 BR. Solved that issue.

Nah, I've played more than enough Halo 3 in comp to grasp it in practice and I do not like it in the least.