Sign in to follow this  
CYRiX

Lagless OG Xbox gaming on CRT and LCD Monitors

Hey all,

I've been doing a lot of researching into what are the best ways to play the original xbox and I figured I'd start dumping things somewhere.

Basically, as Legend, Devilman, and presumably others have found out playing on CRT Monitors is an extremely good and affordable lagless option. The picture quality is tremendous and CRT Monitors have been gaining a lot of attention recently for their "lagless" gaming experience among retro gamers. At this point I think this is the best way to go at this point provided you can find a CRT monitor. So far the CPNT2VGAA adapter from StarTech has been tested and show to take the component signal from the xbox and convert it into VGA for a CRT monitor.

Now, what about LCD's? The first test I've done shows at least one way to laglessly play on an LCD (when compared to a CRT). Here is the setup I used:

egRtIcvl.png

And here are the results:

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGDkeAxCdTo

Burst Shot Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/DRdulUE

The device I use to convert from component to HDMI I had laying around but surprisingly works. If you look at the images and video I will admit the CRT seems to handle motion a little better and deliver a crisper image (although maybe that's because of my phone's camera?), but the fact remains that the LCD display's response time is equal to the CRT's.

If you want to see some legitimate lag testing of the AverMedia C285 device there's also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLj511sas4w

I have some other tests I want to run but just wanted to share this. No one's really accepted the thought that LCD's can perform as well as CRT's and I don't think that's always the case. If you have a good gaming monitor and connect your xbox to it in the right way, then you can probably see similar results. I'll update this thread with some more testing later as I believe I can get a better image fed to the LCD via passive component-to-vga cables and a VGA bios.

Also, here's some reading on CRT response times I thought was interesting: https://www.resetera.com/threads/crts-have-8-3ms-of-input-lag-addressing-a-common-misconception-about-display-latency.40628/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Thanks for testing, @CYRiX! The SSBM community has done similar/identical tests to those you have done a couple of years ago, and figured out a couple of other "lagless" options for converters. See a previous post I made on the issue, with links:

On 10/4/2016 at 10:01 AM, Oby said:

Another solution is to use an Elgao Game Capture HD or Avermedia LGP capture card, which will convert the Xbox's component (YPbPr) signal to HDMI in a practically lagless fashion. Then use any "lagless" monitor.

That is that the Super Smash Bros Melee players are using, and that game is much more sensitive to slight lag than Halo is.

Evidence:

- Original testing (w/Avermedia LGP)

- Follow-up by the same guy, confiming, inter alia, that the Elgato card has similar performance.

I have myself used the Elgato Game Capture HD setup on LAN, with great success. I use an original Xbox Component cable --> Elgato --> HDMI cable --> lagless BenQ monitor (the same used at MLG for fighter games a couple of years back).

I imagine you could hook up an Xbox to professional grade CRTs (Sony PVM/BVM and many others). Not really a cost friendly route, but it makes older games look amazing. 

You have to get either specific cables that will probably be some third party product that may or may not be a shoddy product or BNC connectors to hook into the back of these CRTs. I go to my parents every couple of months and will try to test next time I go home.