VinnyMendoza

Why did splitscreen usage fall out of favour in Halo esports?

On 1/21/2019 at 3:34 PM, Hard Way said:

Part of the reason ninja-ing players became so prevalent in H3 is because of how easy it is to leave someone's screen with a jump in that game. That low FOV definitely makes it harder to track people up close.

Me and my buddy hate halo 3 fov and always make the joke they grabbed active camo every time they move more than 5 inches to the right or left of our screen because they just fuckin disappear from reality lol

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On 1/22/2019 at 10:03 PM, Bonesaw said:

Wait on xbox? 

And followup if so, is it a half screen or just the regular 4:3 box with higher FOV? 

Fullscreen. I think cyrix made a widescreen mod too though? Or is working on it? 

3 hours ago, VinnyMendoza said:

Fullscreen. I think cyrix made a widescreen mod too though? Or is working on it? 

A mod that replicated the half screen would be cool, cuz a lot of times nade tricks use hud elements that are dependent on that specific splitscreen layout. Plus then you are training the same muscle memory for LAN

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/17/2019 at 10:04 PM, VinnyMendoza said:

In Halo: CE especially in 2v2, it's considered unacceptable to play without splitscreen. Always has been. Even if the FOV wasn't superior, seeing action on your teammate's screen is seen as a crucial component to the game, and some top players live off of this skill. They can literally respond to something happening on their teammate's screen while in the middle of a firefight.

What changed with Halo 2 and beyond? Why did everyone switch to their own monitor?

I can understand maybe with 4v4 there's just too many screens to look at so it might be better to go off of communication rather than looking. But what about 2v2 in later Halo? I did notice in the Halo 3 2v2, Roy and Flamesword were looking at each other's screens and inched them closer together and the commentators even noted it multiple times as an old school tactic. Why didn't they just do splitscreen?

Hi Vinny.  As we both know, Halo CE has a far greater skill curve than Halo 2.  A majority of the team that created CE at Bungie left prior to the creation of H2, hence the reason why H2 plays so differently and is an inferior game to halo CE.  Split screen was too much for the average h2 kids. It added more skill and it would have been too much for the average kid to handle resulting in him quitting h2 on xbox live.  Bungie knew vert split screen would be shit and no one would use it so they put it in instead of horizontal split screen.  As for pro level h2 players, they would have welcomed split screen as it added more skill but Bungie wanted to cater to the  masses.

• WutFace (+0) 3

3 hours ago, WARGOD said:

Hi Vinny.  As we both know, Halo CE has a far greater skill curve than Halo 2.  A majority of the team that created CE at Bungie left prior to the creation of H2, hence the reason why H2 plays so differently and is an inferior game to halo CE.  Split screen was too much for the average h2 kids. It added more skill and it would have been too much for the average kid to handle resulting in him quitting h2 on xbox live.  Bungie knew vert split screen would be shit and no one would use it so they put it in instead of horizontal split screen.  As for pro level h2 players, they would have welcomed split screen as it added more skill but Bungie wanted to cater to the  masses.

What a load of Bullshit

People forget about a website back in the day called halo2sucks.com which was heavily frequented like mlg.com and bungie.com in which all the halo CE players were talking about how weak vertical split screen was.  People forget that no one really wanted h2 on xbox live at the time, they wanted CE playable on xbox live because that's what they were used to.  Had halo 2 never come out, the same h2 fanboys of today would be those that played CE on xbox live. (had it ever been released for live play.)  They could have even made it where if you were in a party, you could choose to view in single display more or split screen mode and see your teammates screens. 

“No one really wanted h2 on Xbox live at the time” 

As in a bunch of forum kids.

Motherfucker that website wasn’t even popular. You act like that had thousands following it when it was in the very low hundreds.

9 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Motherfucker that website wasn’t even popular. You act like that had thousands following it when it was in the very low hundreds.

You sound upset by it.  The fact that such a website even existed in the first place speaks volumes.   Halo 2 when it first came out was shit because people didn't like how it played so differently from halo CE.  It wasn't until MLG embraced it that it was accepted and even then many halo CE pros refused to continue on and play Halo 2 professionally.  

There's a reason why you don't have an equivalent of Beach Lan where everyone is playing halo 2.  No one gives a shit about that game with it's inferior skill curve.  It was inferior to CE back then, and it's inferior now.

• Like (+1) 1

But we have halo 3 events so you could say..

20 hours ago, Gold said:

But we have halo 3 events so you could say..

If a man has only eaten hamburger meat his whole life of course he's going to think it's good while others are eating Wagyu Kobe steak...

17 hours ago, WARGOD said:

If a man has only eaten hamburger meat his whole life of course he's going to think it's good while others are eating Wagyu Kobe steak...

Ok ? 

On 3/11/2019 at 4:59 PM, Gold said:

Ok ? 

What I mean is that people who started off playing halo 3 thinking that it’s the best thing since sliced bread have no clue.  It’s the ones that have been playing halo CE well before halo 3 that know what a real console FPS experience is like.  Props to the ones that keep playing CE on MCC over and over again getting sonned every game with -20 K/D for the last 3 years because they want to at least try to get better.

10 hours ago, WARGOD said:

What I mean is that people who started off playing halo 3 thinking that it’s the best thing since sliced bread have no clue.  It’s the ones that have been playing halo CE well before halo 3 that know what a real console FPS experience is like.  Props to the ones that keep playing CE on MCC over and over again getting sonned every game with -20 K/D for the last 3 years because they want to at least try to get better.

I feel you're stuck in some 08 debate mate. 

On 3/10/2019 at 1:29 AM, WARGOD said:

You sound upset by it.  The fact that such a website even existed in the first place speaks volumes. 

Not agreeing or disagreeing but I could make a website called HaloCEsucks.com - so does a website being created make it valid? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/1/2019 at 8:32 PM, JordanB said:

Not agreeing or disagreeing but I could make a website called HaloCEsucks.com - so does a website being created make it valid? 

Problem with that logic is that you’d have to many arguing that halo CE didn’t suck if that website were made.  That wasn’t the case of halo2suck.com.... even pros were on there saying that it sucked but they had to play it because casuals get it stuck in their mind that newer is better.   I enjoy playing SF2 and MK3 more than any of the newer shit for example, and i’ve played all of the remakes.