CaLm

Round-Based Halo?

I’m curious to see how you all feel about round-based gametypes in competitive Halo. One of my favorite things about the CoD Pro Circuit is Round 11 SnD. I know similar things have been tried and failed in past Halo’s but I would still love to see a Breakout-like gametype make it’s way into Halo Infinite competitions. I personally have gotten tired of watching and playing the same 15 minute Flag and KotH games happen over and over, with the same pushes, setups, and results for the past 10 years, and I think a round-based game would mix things up and give us something new to enjoy in Halo. There’s also more possibility of “hero” moments. As great as incredible teamshotting and coordinated push plays can be, I’d love to see a 1v3 clutch to win a game/series at an event.

What do you think? Is there any room for round-based Halo in competitive play, or at all in Halo? If you think there is, what would that gametype look like to you? 

As great as incredible teamshotting and coordinated push plays can be, I’d love to see a 1v3 clutch to win a game/series at an event.

Problem: this doesn't exist in modern Halo because the individual is gimped. 

Unless you want 1-life Swat as a gametype. 

8 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Problem: this doesn't exist in modern Halo because the individual is gimped. 

Unless you want 1-life Swat as a gametype. 

What do you mean “gimped”? With a large enough map and average shield health (like in H5 Breakout), individual skill plays even when outmatched happen all the time.

If you're just saying "I want Breakout back", then I'm not really sure what to tell you. People hated it because it's not Halo, and it went away. 

• Like (+1) 1

My ignorant takeaway so take it with a grain of salt but;

It's important to make a distinction here between one life roundbased gametypes like breakout and respawning roundbased gametypes like asymm assault.

Halo isn't the best for one life gametypes.  The slow killtimes give the enemy team a massive advantage when they have more people left alive, and while in this case regenerating health helps the individual it still helps the enemy team even more.

It's not like limited hp gametypes such as clan arena where if I die I can still weaken the enemy team's health pool before dying to aid our survivors. Or where if I'm last I can win by having better positioning and meticulously whittling them down (or in case of instantaneous killtimes, one shot them from cover / from behind before they can one shot me).

Not to mention how power weapons can lead to easy team wipes with little skill investment.  Its not even "timing them" when the round is over after the very first rocket rush.

I'm a big fan of round-based two flag CTF on asymmetrical maps (teams switch sides each round). 

MLG used to do something like this in CE on maps like damnation and rat race.