CyReN

Soccer/Football Thread

Everyone in our starting 11 is said to be leaving except for Schneiderlin lol English newspapers are full of it.

This couldn't be more correct. I've seen 'Messi to United' as probably one of the most ludicrous ones out there.... they make up so many dumb rumors in transfer windows its ridiculous.... never know what to believe anymore

2013 MLS Cup viewership hit an all-time low

Pretty dire numbers. And regular season viewership fell 29%.

The positive is attendance is rising and stable. But MLS needs to re-negotiate their TV deals which end after the 2014 season, and if they really want to be one of the top leagues by 2022 (lol), they need a big payday from TV contracts. Salary cap is way too low right now, teams can't even compete properly in the CCL. Garber will be praying for a rise in viewership in 2014. He'll definitely be the #1 U.S. national team fan for the World Cup.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The positive is attendance is rising and stable. But MLS needs to re-negotiate their TV deals which end after the 2014 season, and if they really want to be one of the top leagues by 2022 (lol), they need a big payday from TV contracts. Salary cap is way too low right now, teams can't even compete properly in the CCL. Garber will be praying for a rise in viewership in 2014. He'll definitely be the #1 U.S. national team fan for the World Cup.

Shame because the game was actually enjoyable. I don't normally watch MLS but it kept me entertained me.

Hail storm in Turkey for the Galatasaray - Juve game. They just stopped the game to clear the field.

wSoHtNo.png

Hell frozen over? 

This is why the MLS will never be a league that will come close to the success of the European Leagues.  It will still be the place where players on the decline in the top European Leagues go for a very last pay day to sell a few shirts so the teams in the league won't go under.  Attendance growing is a good thing for the domestic fans but if there is no push for viewership worldwide then league will never grow.  It may seem I hate the MLS or just want to hate it but I would love to have something that could somewhat fill the void of me not being able to go to St. Mary's every weekend like I used to.  The MLS just doesn't do that for me.  

Well if you are looking for something to fill that void isn't all that matters is domestic views? You want people filling the stadium to create the best experience possible if you are looking for the experience of being at a stadium. The league needs to grow, but the culture has been well established. 

Before the MLS looks to expand it's viewership overseas it needs to get a better foot into the U.S. market when it comes to their TV rights. The U.S. market alone could easily carry this league if there was more exposure, but the MLS has done a poor job of marketing and drawing in interest outside of the core group that will keep coming back. That is their next step and road to success, but who knows if they will be able to do so. 

Well if you are looking for something to fill that void isn't all that matters is domestic views? You want people filling the stadium to create the best experience possible if you are looking for the experience of being at a stadium. The league needs to grow, but the culture has been well established. 

Before the MLS looks to expand it's viewership overseas it needs to get a better foot into the U.S. market when it comes to their TV rights. The U.S. market alone could easily carry this league if there was more exposure, but the MLS has done a poor job of marketing and drawing in interest outside of the core group that will keep coming back. That is their next step and road to success, but who knows if they will be able to do so. 

MLS will always take second fiddle to the top North American sports leagues.  Domestic views doesn't matter to me I want a league full with quality and not players past their prime.  If the league doesn't get more worldwide exposure then it just won't cut it as a top sports league in America let alone the world.  The talent that comes from America isn't enough to carry the league to success to be honest.  I know American's don't want to admit they aren't the best at something but the MLS is struggling and will continue to struggle if they don't go through the route of global branding and appealing to the world market.

Edit: By struggling I mean they're struggling in comparison to other leagues in the world and in comparison to other major sports leagues in the US.

MLS will always take second fiddle to the top North American sports leagues.  Domestic views doesn't matter to me I want a league full with quality and not players past their prime.  If the league doesn't get more worldwide exposure then it just won't cut it as a top sports league in America let alone the world.  The talent that comes from America isn't enough to carry the league to success to be honest.  I know American's don't want to admit they aren't the best at something but the MLS is struggling and will continue to struggle if they don't go through the route of global branding and appealing to the world market.

I just thought the way you approached your complaint was silly with the viewpoint you were taking.

If we are talking quality, I completely agree. We lose our best athletes still to football and basketball and until more people decided to continue playing soccer it will continue to be that way. I think for that to change, it needs to become more universally watched in the U.S. first and not globally. 

It grows every year as a sport being played by kids in this country, but it continues to shed players as the years go by and people start to focus on a sport. 

I'd also disagree that it is struggling. It continues to grow and turn a profit, but it isn't growing as rapidly as it should be. There  are a lot of steps they need to take to allow that growth to happen. I think making it as big as they possibly can in the U.S. is the first step. 

Defiant is right, there are two main reasons they are struggling and will continue to struggle:

1. Not as much quality/skill as other leagues 

2. They are competing with leagues such as NFL, NBA, College Football, NHL, MLB.... while in other countries it's predominantly soccer

I think what amo is saying is the path to success for MLS is through growth in the States, not overseas. International exposure would be a by-product of the MLS becoming a legitimately major American sports league.

Increased domestic viewership means bigger TV contracts, bigger TV contracts means more money available to the league, which means higher salary cap, which means more money to spend on players, which means better players, which better on-field product, which means increased domestic viewership, and so on.

The American TV market is massive, it sounds weird but you don't need to expand internationally to become an international player if you can capture a big chunk of the American market, because it means big money for your league. Global awareness would be inevitable at that point. MLS is getting around $40 million a season for their broadcast rights currently, that's peanuts. Fast forward in time to deals that are 10x as large or more and you can bet the quality of the league will be about 10x as good as it is now. When the quality is that high, that's when MLS can focus on international branding and foreign TV deals, which wouldn't be too difficult with that good of a product. But it starts with growing domestic viewership to way higher levels than they're at right now.

I think what amo is saying is the path to success for MLS is through growth in the States, not overseas. International exposure would be a by-product of the MLS becoming a legitimately major American sports league.

Increased domestic viewership means bigger TV contracts, bigger TV contracts means more money available to the league, which means higher salary cap, which means more money to spend on players, which means better players, which better on-field product, which means increased domestic viewership, and so on.

The American TV market is massive, it sounds weird but you don't need to expand internationally to become an international player if you can capture a big chunk of the American market, because it means big money for your league. Global awareness would be inevitable at that point. MLS is getting around $40 million a season for their broadcast rights currently, that's peanuts. Fast forward in time to deals that are 10x as large or more and you can bet the quality of the league will be about 10x as good as it is now. When the quality is that high, that's when MLS can focus on international branding and foreign TV deals, which wouldn't be too difficult with that good of a product. But it starts with growing domestic viewership to way higher levels than they're at right now.

I'm saying that as long as the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, College Basketball and College Football are still around that won't happen.  If they don't up the quality of players in the league then they won't grow either.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know it's a silly thing but honestly Drake helping out with MLSE actually does seem to be working haha

This is a good signing I think. He's young and he's scoring goals at the moment. Gotta get Defoe wrapped up now.

Haha Drake actually doing his job, being at games. Using his fame..

On Topic: Re: MLS Final.....looks like I missed a damn good repeat of Everybody Loves Raymond.

Well this sucks. Wake up, check my phone, Juventus is out. I just figured they were playing at 2:45 again.

Better squad than last year but can't even make it out of the group stage. Shitty.

Napoli more than likely heading out today too.

damnit, shouldn't have read this thread. thought it was live  on SNworld right now :(

Nah, it was at 830am Eastern.  Im guessing since they had flight plans already that couldnt be changed.

Big games today

Anyone over in the UK seen the Class of 92 film? Or heard anything about it? I read tons of stuff on twitter about it but don't think its available in the US as of now. Anyone else have anymore details?