CyReN

Soccer/Football Thread

why is everyone so fucking desperate to have a group of death

I've no idea, it just cheapens the term. Just because there are 3 teams with a chance of getting out doesn't make it a group of death

As far as I'm concerned, a group of death must consist any combination of 4 from these teams:

Spain

Brazil

Netherlands

France

Italy

Argentina

Uruguay

Portugal

Germany

Russia

England

Ivory Coast

Colombia

Belgium (debatable, unproven)

Then there's a few outliers like Sweden, Croatia, USA etc. Having 1 of these is alright

Its ok to admit that you didn't watch internationals before last year, nobody will judge you

Someone is on the edge a little damn, I know United are struggling but no need to question me since I'm not American and lived in England for 9 years and went to many internationals and still watch many over here.  Clearly you don't watch internationals if you think Ivory Coast is better than Ghana and don't have Chile as one of your "group of death teams".  You have England in there and Chile mopped the floor with England and outplayed them completely. 

Someone is on the edge a little damn, I know United are struggling but no need to question me since I'm not American and lived in England for 9 years and went to many internationals and still watch many over here.  Clearly you don't watch internationals if you think Ivory Coast is better than Ghana and don't have Chile as one of your "group of death teams".  You have England in there and Chile mopped the floor with England and outplayed them completely. 

friendlies mean things

edit: I was also joking with that last post

Although Chile did beat us quite badly and yes they are a good team, we were experimenting with the squad and playing a few of the young boys, this is why it's so hard sometimes for teams to do this because if they lose the friendly then it's instantly because they suck etc....

In prem news, this season is going awesome so far

friendlies mean things

edit: I was also joking with that last post

Sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internet my bad

How is group G a group of death? Because the US are in it? The only reason some people are claiming this is a group of death is because there are so many americans on this forum and r/soccer. Its a group of death for the US, but thats it.

Or maybe it's because all 4 of those teams made the knockout stages last cup and all four of them going into the selection were expected to possibly move into the knockout stages again. 

No other group has that. 

It's pretty easy to see there are 2 scary groups going into this world cup. I don't get why you, or anyone in this thread has to be competitive about it. England and the U.S. got shitty draws this year. Each group can be considered the group of death for different merits. It's fairly obvious.

I add in the group with Chile, but I don't think they will being to hold up to Spain and the Netherlands. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I just think people are looking too hard for a group of death. There needs to be at least 1 serious contender going out for it to be a group of death, and I don't really think this draw has a group like that. Sometimes there just isn't one

And here I was thinking Osvaldo was slowly but surely putting himself out of the picture for Italy's WC squad... well not if he keeps that up.

That was dirty.

I'm imagining what my brain is going to do tomorrow if we figure out a way to beat Arsenal. I won't be able to handle it. 

Forgot it was at Emirates. NVM

Why do you need to label anything 'a group of death' the majority of these groups are fucking good and it's pointless arguing which is tougher than the next toughest.

Also, Chelsea can be so fucking worthless against shit sides, we just pass the ball around with no conviction and then we make boneheaded mistakes. Doesn't help when Cech hasn't made a save in like 4 matches either

Sometimes Football Manager can feel very real, then again, when i can do this you know, it's only a game.

X73D8a3.png

That cele though...what a goal I will admit!

Well im back home and have cable again, so I cant wait to actually be able to watch games not from a stream with constant ads coming up...

That was a good game!, could have gone either way but I suppose that was a fair result, Giroud was so unlucky with that last shot and Flamini had a hard chance missed. Tough side Everton, I think if they keep it up they'll earn a top 4 place.

Fair result. I'll take a point from Emirates. 

Deulofeu and Barkley are just incredible young players. What a goal from Deulofeu and Barkley was the one that played a role in almost every offensive move we made today with Lukaku and Mirallas struggle to find themselves today. 

Oviedo has been brilliant as well. Really impressed with how he has stepped up into one of the most important roles for this team and instantly connected with Pienaar. 

Sometimes Football Manager can feel very real, then again, when i can do this you know, it's only a game.

X73D8a3.png

You can do that in the Championship next year :D

You can do that in the Championship next year :D

Oh, a very large part of me wants us to get relegated. 

It may be good to get rid of the deadwood in your team and rebuild in a sense.  It has helped a lot of teams in the past and I'm sure it would do the same for Sunderland.

Bad string of results for United, like Voodoo said it's time to find out who the true supporters are. 

I know Moyes can take a lot of the blame for tactics, players mentality, subs, etc, etc, and don't get me wrong I think Moyes has plenty of areas he can be blamed for but a lot of this has to do with the Board. 

8 years of the Glazers not investing into the squad and relying on the genius of SAF to pull them out has now finally caught up to us. There are holes everywhere in the squad, and without the genius of SAF the club is beginning to suffer for the under investing the past several years. Its a shame, but the club need to back Moyes with some funds to properly build up the squad, I just hope he goes after the right players and Woodward doesn't make an ass of our club, like offering Barca 20 mill for Fabregas. Or trying to purchase ander herrera from Bilbao for 25 mil when his buyout clause starts at 36 mil. 

Moyes can shoulder the blame for the current squads mentality, tactics, and morale but a lot of the problems with the squad can be placed on the shoulders of the board too.

LUHG