CyReN

Soccer/Football Thread

Recall last world cup that Ghana was a hand ball away from the semis. USA is screwed imo. But that is an extremely difficult group. Group G is group of death. Group D is tough, but it  might come down to who beats Costa Rica more

• Upvote (+1) 1

is Ghana good or something? 

Ghana are one of the best African teams, and have knocked USA out of the last two world cups so they "have our number" 

and like voodoo said If Suarez wasn't a cheater than they would have been in the semi finals last world cup.

B: Spain and Netherlands will go through, its theirs to lose

D: I just said that would be the only one worthy of calling a "group of death"

G: Qualifying through CONCACAF is a joke, being the best in it means pretty much nothing. Bit more credibility in Africa, but they're hardly world beaters...I've no doubt in my mind that Germany and Portugal are going through

It is a joke, thats why USA did it easily and with games to spare. 

Also I was saying G would be group of death in my book based on the level of talent throughout the whole group, USA and Ghana would both crush australia and costa rica, and Germany and Portugal are obviously two of the best teams in the world with Germany maybe being favorites to win it. 

I have no doubt in my mind Germany will go through, and most likely Portugal. But crazier things have happened, USA beat portugal in 2002 and if for some freak reason Ronaldo can't go to the world cup then Portugal are a completely different team.

You can say group G is a group of death but i'm sure Germany and Portugal will stroll it, as for our group England, that's the toughest group, Spain Chile and Netherlands is also a tough draw.
If Ronald is absent then you will have a chance

I can see the finals being Germany Spain.... Thats if they don't clash before, but no other team are on there level, not even the hosts.

• Upvote (+1) 1

B: Spain and Netherlands will go through, its theirs to lose

D: I just said that would be the only one worthy of calling a "group of death"

G: Qualifying through CONCACAF is a joke, being the best in it means pretty much nothing. Bit more credibility in Africa, but they're hardly world beaters...I've no doubt in my mind that Germany and Portugal are going through

Group D is the easiest of the three groups IMO not sure how you don't see them as groups of death as Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast, and North Korea was seen as a group of death in 2010.  

A: Brazil

Croatia/Cameroon (it's a toss up here)

B: Spain

Netherlands (Chile could cause upsets they are a very good team)

C: Colombia

Ivory Coast/Japan 

D: England

Uruguay

E: France 

Switzerland

F:Argentina

Bosnia

G: Germany 

Ghana

H: Belgium

Russia

If the USA can get out of this hellish group, which I'm calling Group of Death at this point even though I haven't seen the other groups, they'll go far.

My favorites to win it are probably Germany or spain. Dark Horse for me would be Belgium

Belgium is like the new Ireland of Europe now.

Remember when Ireland used to be really good like 20 years ago? lmao

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think we had a legit chance of winning the 2002 world cup had Keane stuck around.

Qualifiers we were 7/3/0, with 2 draws against Portugal and a draw and a win against the Netherlands. Then we came out of our group 1/2/0, including a draw against Germany.

So we were undefeated in our whole campaign with draws and wins against Portugal, Netherlands, and Germany. Then who did we get knocked out by? Spain. On penalties.

Spain went on to the quarter finals where they lost to South Korea. If we were there instead and had beat South Korea, we would've been in the semi-finals only to face Germany again. Having already drawn against them, I don't think its too far fetched to imagine we could've pull off a win second time around. Then we're into the finals against Brazil and who knows what could've happened.

This is just bringing back memories of crying and being absolutely heartbroken when we lost to Spain. Absolutely devastated

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think we had a legit chance of winning the 2002 world cup had Keane stuck around.

Qualifiers we were 7/3/0, with 2 draws against Portugal and a draw and a win against the Netherlands. Then we came out of our group 1/2/0, including a draw against Germany.

So we were undefeated in our whole campaign with draws and wins against Portugal, Netherlands, and Germany. Then who did we get knocked out by? Spain. On penalties.

Spain went on to the quarter finals where they lost to South Korea. If we were there instead and had beat South Korea, we would've been in the semi-finals only to face Germany again. Having already drawn against them, I don't think its too far fetched to imagine we could've pull off a win second time around. Then we're into the finals against Brazil and who knows what could've happened.

This is just bringing back memories of crying and being absolutely heartbroken when we lost to Spain. Absolutely devastated

Sorry to hear about that man.

If it counts, I feel as passionate about the USMNT.  

Keane really wants Mike Magee to play for the Irish.  Magee is literally the most talented player in MLS right now.  Absolute amazing to watch how he moves off the ball.  His movement off the ball is so smart.

He's got football knowledge for sure.

Agreed on Mcgee that man has talent. Lots of respect for him as well to move back to Chicago so he can be closer to his family, shows true personality there.

No lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Group D is the easiest of the three groups IMO not sure how you don't see them as groups of death as Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast, and North Korea was seen as a group of death in 2010.  

How is group G a group of death? Because the US are in it? The only reason some people are claiming this is a group of death is because there are so many americans on this forum and r/soccer. Its a group of death for the US, but thats it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

How is group G a group of death? Because the US are in it? The only reason some people are claiming this is a group of death is because there are so many americans on this forum and r/soccer. Its a group of death for the US, but thats it.

The US could make it out of a few other groups.

If there's a Group of Death it's the Spain,Netherlands, and Chile group, and the England, Italy, Uruguay group.

Not because the USA is in it. Im not American, it is because of the quality of each team in that group. I wouldnt say its the other two groups because there is a 4th team who is realitvely weak compared to the other 3 countries and will likely come last baring some miracle. USA at least put a game together with these countries, I dont think they will do well, but at least they are better than Australia or Costa Rica. That is my reasoning

Group A- 24.3

Group B- 21

Group C- 20.3

Group D- 14.3

Group E- 22.8

Group F- 26.3

Group G- 11.3

Group H- 28.3

Man U's squad is average compared to the other big clubs. Ferguson was the only reason they have been so good the past couple seasons.

I agree that group of death is overrated, but I guess it is just a fan thing to do, to find the toughest group.

And wow Man U, again best time to figure out who the real supporters are right now

• Upvote (+1) 1

The US team will need a miracle to take points from Germany and don't really expect them to beat Ghana let alone Portugal.