CyReN

Soccer/Football Thread

Dat Pirlo free kick. Good god.

Good win. England is dangerous on the counter but they ran out of ideas whenever Italy's defense was set. With the way Uruguay played I think England has a good chance of advancing still, provided they can handle Costa Rica.

dat Rooney corner though...

But in all seriousness Italy's defense at the end was just too compact for England to go anywhere and the England subs brought on didn't contribute much. And of course its a Arsenal physio who gets injured while celebrating a goal. 

Shaw instead of Baines, Barkley instead of Rooney.

I don't get why England always play Rooney. He plays good at club level, but always under performs at national tournaments. Better off playing him after the first half so he can go against a tired defence. 

So many missed chances for England in the 2nd half. Looks like everyones fear about the heat taking its toll was real. I thought they played better than Italy in the 1st half.

Shaw instead of Baines, Barkley instead of Rooney.

I don't get why England always play Rooney. He plays good at club level, but always under performs at national tournaments. Better off playing him after the first half so he can go against a tired defence. 

So many missed chances for England in the 2nd half. Looks like everyones fear about the heat taking its toll was real. I thought they played better than Italy in the 1st half.

Barkley instead of Rooney? I can see why you don't post here much.  I forgot Barkley was on the pitch within 5 mins of him coming on.  Welbeck was useless I'd swap Shaw for Baines and Lallana for Welbeck.  The end of that match was also made for someone like Rickie Lambert to come on and get an equalizer but Woy is the most tactically inept manager England has ever had. 

Leighton Baines is awful defensively and that comes out against good sides.  Luke Shaw isn't that much worse going forward and is FAR better defensively and has more pace.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Barkley instead of Rooney? I can see why you don't post here much.  I forgot Barkley was on the pitch within 5 mins of him coming on.    

You don't base a player off of one game, especially when they don't get to play a full half. He performed pretty well during friendlies.

feel sorry for england but at least liverpool did well

Defiant i hope you were drunk when you called Hodgson the most tactically inept manager england have ever had, because that is fucking ********

Rooney did miss the chance in the second half, but his cross for Sturridge's goal was perfect. You're insane if you bench him for Barkley, who did nothing.

We looked pretty good tbf, best performance I've seen from England in years, should have at least been a draw, you should see the stats comparison from 2012 when we last played Italy to yesterday, massive difference. Suarez isn't fit at all and if he does play I can't see him being a threat. Keep the same team for Thursday, Rooney needs to be played in his strongest position

• Upvote (+1) 1

We looked pretty good tbf, best performance I've seen from England in years, should have at least been a draw, you should see the stats comparison from 2012 when we last played Italy to yesterday, massive difference. Suarez isn't fit at all and if he does play I can't see him being a threat. Keep the same team for Thursday, Rooney needs to be played in his strongest position

so rooney upfront and 442? 

Rooney did miss the chance in the second half, but his cross for Sturridge's goal was perfect. You're insane if you bench him for Barkley, who did nothing.

well barkley plays centrally so that isnt really a swap that I can see happening unless they move sterling out wide. But i thought he was their best player.

If ox was fit i would 100% swap him for rooney. I would think about lallana for sure, make a decision depending on how they do in training. rooney is a massive liability defensively

@ changing the entire system to accommodate rooney is not a road i would want to go down as a manager, considering they have played this way the last four games and that was one of englands best performances in a long time. 

Overall it was a decent performance (At least compared to the last time England played Italy) made me laugh when Hodgson brought Wilshere on for Henderson who was playing really well and left on Gerrard who did nothing.

Overall it was a decent performance (At least compared to the last time England played Italy) made me laugh when Hodgson brought Wilshere on for Henderson who was playing really well and left on Gerrard who did nothing.

Hendo was good for a half, fell off in the 2nd, but you're right about Gerrard, he was the one who should have been off, absolutely invisible. 

funny how great players can get away with atrocious halves. 

"Not Leo Messi's finest half. Possession lost 15 times and just 12% of forward passes completed, the worst of any player on the pitch"

if johnson did half as bad people would want him dead. I guess it is all relative. The big players never go hiding so when it goes wrong it goes doubly wrong

feel sorry for england but at least liverpool did well

Defiant i hope you were drunk when you called Hodgson the most tactically inept manager england have ever had, because that is fucking ********

Made some of the most questionable substitutions I've ever seen, almost like he was playing to only lose by a goal or something.  Should have brought on Lambert that game was tailor made for him especially in the last 10 mins.