CyReN

Soccer/Football Thread

Louis Van Gaal announced as manager, then Ryan Giggs retires from playing. Emotions all over the place. Giggs most decorated player of all time. 

Anxious times ahead at OT, HUGE rebuilding job. Need 2 CBs, a LB, CMs.... 

No need to be anxious at all, Moyes brought the club to almost rock bottom (for United's standards) so you can only look up for the future.  I think you need more players than what you suggested as well as getting rid of the average dead wood that's in the team.  It's good they aren't rushing Giggs into management though it's evident he will take over in the near future.

• Upvote (+1) 1

more than 5players?

please elaborate

you could use 5 new defenders

• Upvote (+1) 1

United need at minimum, one world class CB (I think two), one LB, and two CMs. That is at a bare minimum. 

I am of the belief that Evans, Jones, Smalling all have way to many flaws to ever reach the heights that Rio/Vidic did. Would love to be wrong, but I just don't see any of those three being in the top 5-10 CBs in world (arguably) like Rio/Vidic were in their prime. 

I would love to be wrong, but just can't see it. We need to build on a rock solid CB partnership, SAF always did that. Hoping LVG does the same

United need at minimum, one world class CB (I think two), one LB, and two CMs. That is at a bare minimum. 

I am of the belief that Evans, Jones, Smalling all have way to many flaws to ever reach the heights that Rio/Vidic did. Would love to be wrong, but I just don't see any of those three being in the top 5-10 CBs in world (arguably) like Rio/Vidic were in their prime. 

I would love to be wrong, but just can't see it. We need to build on a rock solid CB partnership, SAF always did that. Hoping LVG does the same

RVP is getting up there in age as well so another striker wouldn't hurt, maybe another wide player as well and I don't think Rafael's job at RB is safe either.  I think the LB you get will be Baines (don't see Shaw going anywhere this summer but if he does it will be Chelsea).  You just need more quality in the team and create the depth that United had in title winning years again.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

are you talking about liverpool or united? 

either way i hope its a joke

was referring to united, sorry boss

Portugal

GK: Beto (Sevilla), Eduardo (Braga), Rui Patrício (Sporting) 

DF: André Almeida (Benfica), Bruno Alves (Fenerbahçe), Fábio Coentrão (Real Madrid), João Pereira (Valencia), Neto (Zenit), Pepe (Real Madrid), Ricardo Costa (Valencia)  

MF: João Moutinho (Monaco), Miguel Veloso (D. Kiev), Raul Meireles (Fenerbahçe), Rúben Amorim (Benfica), William Carvalho (Sporting)

FW: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Éder (Braga), Hélder Postiga (Lazio), Hugo Almeida (Besiktas), Nani (Manchester United), Rafa (Braga), Varela (Porto), Vieirinha (Wolfsburg)

I personally feel like if Jones was healthy all year he could progress to Vidic/Ferdinand heights. As for Evans and Smalling the've always been average.

Well ferdinand already had a few seasons as a premier league centre back when united signed him, and was the most expensive british player at the time. Vidic's background im less clear on but from wiki it appears that he had five seasons prior to moving to united where im guessing he played as a centre back. Both players played plenty of football when they were young in the right position

Compare that to smalling and jones. Smalling is now the same age as those guys when they came to united and has so much less experience, in a position where experience is one of the most important facets. Jones is still really young and has plenty of time to develop, they just need to play him CB if that is where they eventually want him to end up.

RVP is getting up there in age as well so another striker wouldn't hurt, maybe another wide player as well and I don't think Rafael's job at RB is safe either.  I think the LB you get will be Baines (don't see Shaw going anywhere this summer but if he does it will be Chelsea).  You just need more quality in the team and create the depth that United had in title winning years again.  

Yeah there are many spots that could be boosted, first priority needs to be CM, LB, then CB. Can maybe work out the striker/right back spot later on. RvP still may have 1-2 good seasons out of him, especially considering how much he loves LVG and vice versa

I personally feel like if Jones was healthy all year he could progress to Vidic/Ferdinand heights. As for Evans and Smalling the've always been average.

I think he is too injury prone to get up a good run of games, love his dedication but he goes into so many unnecessary tackles/aerial challenges.

I think Smalling if he got a good run of games at CB would be good. People say he is average bc of his performances at right back, which are well below average. But if he gets a run of games he is solid at CB.

Evans was the spine of the team when we won the title in 2012-2013, he was great when Vidic was out for a lengthy period of time.

Evans is too injury prone, Jones is too injury prone/not enough experience, Smalling has some suspect passing/injury prone. Need one more and maybe promote Michael Keane for backup.  

Yeah there are many spots that could be boosted, first priority needs to be CM, LB, then CB. Can maybe work out the striker/right back spot later on. RvP still may have 1-2 good seasons out of him, especially considering how much he loves LVG and vice versa

Yes love can overcome any injury.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Yes love can overcome any injury.

I am saying he was great under SAF who he admired, and everyone knows he admires LVG and vice versa.

If he stays injury free I expect 25+ from him

Asshole! 

• Downvote (-1) 1

I am saying he was great under SAF who he admired, and everyone knows he admires LVG and vice versa.

If he stays injury free I expect 25+ from him

Asshole! 

It was a joke, jesus christ

• Upvote (+1) 1

is giroud worth a bet for top scorer at 66/1? France dont have too difficult a group, although i dont really rate them too highly

is giroud worth a bet for top scorer at 66/1? France dont have too difficult a group, although i dont really rate them too highly

Suarez rumoured to be out aswell, a fiver at 66/1 is definitely worth a punt

I had a long post written out yesterday about what players we need and such but I accidentally closed the tab. So let me just say Evans is our best cb and has been for a while now, and him and Jones can probably grow to be a world class pairing.

Also if utd get Kroos for 20 mil I don't know what I'll do. I'm so used to us overpaying for players, so this would be a relief

Stop stealing my tips lol.

Surely Benzema would start over Giroud.... unless they play 2 up top? 

I've never watched them play so idk