Pulsar

The Top 100 Pro Halo Players of All Time

Agreed, it is impossible to make a perfect list that takes all the relevant variables into account. I considered all of those things you listed to at least some degree, with the exception of money. For me money won doesn't equal prestige won. If I were to take money into account the list would skew heavily towards H5. For example winning the 2016 HWC would count 10 times as much as a typical MLG National Championship.  

I hear ya, your list is still extremely questionable.  You have guys on there that won like a single event in 2005 (when 3D wasn't even there)  and stopped competing shortly after but have zero CE pros from BeachLAN who would demolish literally 99% of the rest of these players in H1, even the '04 pros. You have pretty much zero international representation outside NA on your list.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hear you, I think it's something worth noting but I understand that if it was all people looked at, then, for example, fans might think Ace is a top 50 player or something when he's far from it.

I guess a better criteria point would be; What was a player's average tournament placing on LAN?

Average placing would be 100% better. I wouldn't count the events before the player's first top 16(or 8, idk which of the two would work best) placing, though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think you'd need to do something a little more complicated than just average placing. There has to be some kind of weight given to someone who didn't just demolish one game only. There are people who managed to play at the highest level for 5 or 6 titles requiring different skill sets and learning curves which is very impressive when you stop and notice how many people managed top 8 a few times and then disappeared

Frosty, Heinz, and shockwav3 over karma? Heinz over fearitself? Heinz over neighbor? Yikes

ShockWav3's placing is actually too low, he placed top 3 in every national championship in H2 & H3 except for the last H3 one, which he didn't play since he had quit prior to that. Heinz had great longevity at the top, which is probably why he's above Fear & Neighbor. Karma should be above Frosty, though.

There's a lot wrong with the placings, but it'd take way too long to type it all out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Agree with this 100%.

No fucking way, he was nowhere as talented as Enable (who was part of the team who dethroned that god-squad in Halo Reach in that Game 11)

Looking back I agree, mistake on my part.

I hear ya, your list is still extremely questionable.  You have guys on there that won like a single event in 2005 (when 3D wasn't even there)  and stopped competing shortly after but have zero CE pros from BeachLAN who would demolish literally 99% of the rest of these players in H1, even the '04 pros. You have pretty much zero international representation outside NA on your list.

I didn't really take into account any BeachLAN stuff. I only considered each game during "its era", which is why random H2 pros made it over the BeachLANers.

EU and other international pros have only occasionally placed well at NA events, and I didn't consider EU or LATAM etc. only events.

Frosty, Heinz, and shockwav3 over karma? Heinz over fearitself? Heinz over neighbor? Yikes

What is with the hate for Heinz? 

I guess a better criteria point would be; What was a player's average tournament placing on LAN?

but even there, high placings at early H1 tourneys aren't that meaningful, because these competitions had like 40 players and most of them were terrible ... the early Ogre dominance is not quite as impressive as it looks. 

probably the most interesting single Halo video I've seen is Ogre2's extended interview in 2010-ish for the old TLN (Totz's basement = The Lan Network); he put it politely, but pointed out that basically everyone outside the top 10-15 players was terrible until early 2010.  I realize that there were a billion players for H2 and H3 but very few at the very highest level.

in other words, as strange as it sounds, the top ~25 H5 players are more talented and closer to parity than the top ~25 H3 players in 2008, despite the fact that 256 team passes were selling out in 2008.  

also average LAN placing penalizes Snakebite for having permissive parents and helps Snipedown for the opposite; if Eric had been allowed to attend H2 events, as he’d wanted to do, he would have a bunch of semi-pro placings to bring down his average

• Upvote (+1) 1

but even there, early H1 tourneys had like 40 players and most of them were terrible ... the early Ogre dominance is not quite as impressive as it looks.

also average LAN placing penalizes Snakebite for having permissive parents and helps Snipedown for the opposite; if Eric had been allowed to attend H2 events, as he’d wanted to do, he would have a bunch of semi-pro placings to bring down his average

the ogre dominance in h1 continued well into halo 3’s lifespan. The ogres would have been on top no matter what. And when you look at the tournaments, 1/3 of the top 8 still play ce and even going down to the last place teams there are people who play

https://halo.esportspedia.com/MLG_Atlanta_2004

Near the bottom, i know axel and ace still play. I think d3v1lman is devilman and he still plays. 8th place j0 finally won his first event after playing the game 3-7x a week for 17 years this year.

• Upvote (+1) 3

the ogre dominance in h1 continued well into halo 3’s lifespan. The ogres would have been on top no matter what. And when you look at the tournaments, 1/3 of the top 8 still play ce and even going down to the last place teams there are people who play

imo the first H3 event was a fluke (they weren't the best team at that event, everyone just played scared because 'Final Boss') and then I think it's fair to say that Ogre2 was the worst player on that dominant 2010 roster.  the problem with H3 is that the skill gap shrunk too far, I think; Ogre1 had checked out mentally but I think Ogre2 could have still been dominant if H3 had a serious individual skill gap (rather than "teamshot everything constantly")

ShockWav3's placing is actually too low, he placed top 3 in every national championship in H2 & H3 except for the last H3 one, which he didn't play since he had quit prior to that. Heinz had great longevity at the top, which is probably why he's above Fear & Neighbor. Karma should be above Frosty, though.

There's a lot wrong with the placings, but it'd take way too long to type it all out.

Shockwave did have better placings overall. But Karma remained undefeated in 1v1’s in H2 and actual won a H3 event unlike shockwave. In terms of raw skill he was above wave. We can’t only rely on placings.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Royal 2 has more events wins, Royal 2 has two World Championships to T2's one National Championship, Royal 2 imo has more individual talent (he doesn't die and doesn't miss). They have both won events in three Halo games. Tsquared has had a longer career and was the face of MLG Halo, but I think R2 has surpassed him.

Looking back on this probably a mistake

One Reach win, one H2A win and a bunch of Halo 5 wins will never be greater than wins in CE, 2 and 3, at least by my reckoning. Royal 2 is an amazing player and CLG/Optic/Tox was dominant in Halo 5, but it's Halo 5. Are we going to start putting Splyce players in the top thirty/twenty too?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think it's fair to say that Ogre2 was the worst player on that dominant 2010 roster.  the problem with H3 is that the skill gap shrunk too far, I think; Ogre1 had checked out mentally but I think Ogre2 could have still been dominant if H3 had a serious individual skill gap (rather than "teamshot everything constantly")

Calling 2gre the worst player on his team is like calling Lethul the worst player on his team. It may be true, but it's irrelevant. Every team has a 4th best player.

Regardless, I just wanna point out that 2gre was massively underrated in Halo 3. That's not even getting into Reach. 2gre was better at Reach than he was at H3.

Shockwave did have better placings overall. But Karma remained undefeated in 1v1’s in H2 and actual won a H3 event unlike shockwave. In terms of raw skill he was above wave. We can’t only rely on placings.

Karma is top 15 all time. Looking at the list, I'd put him above Strongside, Shockwave, Legit, and probably Heinz as well. Not sure about Frosty though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

One Reach win, one H2A win and a bunch of Halo 5 wins will never be greater than wins in CE, 2 and 3, at least by my reckoning. Royal 2 is an amazing player and CLG/Optic/Tox was dominant in Halo 5, but it's Halo 5. Are we going to start putting Splyce players in the top thirty/twenty too?

Tsquared in H1 and H2, out of his 5 wins only beat the Ogres/Walshy twice, and one of those was a team slayer only tourney, the other few events the Ogres/Walshy didn't attend.

I valued each Halo game about the same except H4, it is understandable if you devalue H5 because of radar/autos/abilities but H5 was a competitive game with a high skill gap.

Seeing as Splyce players are switching to COD they probably won't make the top 30, but give them credit for what they accomplished.

Calling 2gre the worst player on his team is like calling Lethul the worst player on his team. It may be true, but it's irrelevant. Every team has a 4th best player.

Regardless, I just wanna point out that 2gre was massively underrated in Halo 3. That's not even getting into Reach. 2gre was better at Reach than he was at H3.

Karma is top 15 all time. Looking at the list, I'd put him above Strongside, Shockwave, Legit, and probably Heinz as well. Not sure about Frosty though.

Agreed, 2gre made a ton of clutch plays from 2010-2012 in 49-49 games, game 5s etc.

All those guys are really close for me, Legit was an absolute beast 07-08, Heinz was mvp of 2009 if I remember correctly and had success in a bunch of Halo games up to and including H5. 

imo the first H3 event was a fluke (they weren't the best team at that event, everyone just played scared because 'Final Boss') and then I think it's fair to say that Ogre2 was the worst player on that dominant 2010 roster. the problem with H3 is that the skill gap shrunk too far, I think; Ogre1 had checked out mentally but I think Ogre2 could have still been dominant if H3 had a serious individual skill gap (rather than "teamshot everything constantly")

i said dominant in h1 not h3 xd.

Decent list and all, but I wouldn't have Ogre1 above Walshy mostly because Walsh was still pretty successful after Ogre1 quit, and their success until that point is fairly mirrored.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i said dominant in h1 not h3 xd.

:huh:

"the ogre dominance in h1 continued well into halo 3’s lifespan"

Your top 10 is pretty fucking accurate but after that it's rough. Ghost and Flame are criminally low. Also, Karma on his performance in 2006 alone keeps him in top 20 but he also did very well in 2005, 2007 and 2008. (winning one Halo 3 event against the national championship Str8 rippin roster)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Agreed, 2gre made a ton of clutch plays from 2010-2012 in 49-49 games, game 5s etc.

Exactly. He was definitely most clutch player on those teams. When things went down to the wire, 2gre made plays. Period.

Speaking of, I just noticed Clutch is at 55. He should be at 101 just for chanting "choke" at Final Boss at 2010 DC before choking a 3-0 lead to them. Lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Speaking of, I just noticed Clutch is at 55. He should be at 101 just for chanting "choke" at Final Boss at 2010 DC before choking a 3-0 lead to them. Lol.

Clutch has to be higher due to WHEN he was dominant. 2009 - 2010 was the absolute peak of competition and attendance. Not to mention the only world championship coach on the list..

Killer N at #24?

I don't know about that.

I watched him go 20-4 against StK in Team Slayer Rat Race at MLG Chicago.

When he competed in Halo: CE he was literally a monster of Slayer, and his pistol was arguably #1 of all time.

Edit:  Good list, though!

Edit 2:  Cloud is easily in the top ten for Halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think my main problem with these lists is that you have people like Karma who generally just dominated one game then faded away after some brief success in the next game. Zyos is another one of those. They were so good but when you put up a list for ALL of the Halo titles combined there's no way you can really put them super high on a list especially when you start going way back and counting events that everyone didn't even show up to

• Upvote (+1) 2

Clutch has to be higher due to WHEN he was dominant. 2009 - 2010 was the absolute peak of competition and attendance. Not to mention the only world championship coach on the list..

I was joking.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Killer N at #24?

I don't know about that.

I watched him go 20-4 against StK in Team Slayer Rat Race at MLG Chicago.

When he competed in Halo: CE he was literally a monster of Slayer, and his pistol was arguably #1 of all time.

Edit:  Good list, though!

Edit 2:  Cloud is easily in the top ten for Halo 3.

first halo player to ever have ped(adderall) rumors as well