CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2021 Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Obnokshus said:

Arena? Hitscan? What?

Are you confused as to what Hitscan means?  Not sure what your point there is.

5 hours ago, Basu said:

The term arena shooter has been dragged through the mud so much that it doesn't even mean anything at this point.

If you want to disagree with my usage of the term, fine.  But you both know damn well what I meant by Arena.  

Somebody teach me something. How many projectile vs hitscan weapons are there in something like Quake 3? I've played like one multiplayer session each of Doom, Quake World, CPMA, and Diabotical; and then a bunch of Duke 3D which has its own weird weaponry. I thought most weapons other than rockets, grenade launchers, and nail guns were hitscan?

Rockets are one of the primary weapons. But in terms of the "trinity" of guns I hear people talk about, aren't 2/3rds of them hit scan?

22 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

Are you confused as to what Hitscan means?  Not sure what your point there is.

no, i'm confused by your decision to stand by hitscan when it is extremely limiting when it comes to the skill ceiling. there is little differentiation between good and great aiming without projectiles. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Obnokshus said:

no, i'm confused by your decision to stand by hitscan when it is extremely limiting when it comes to the skill ceiling. there is little differentiation between good and great aiming without projectiles. 

I never claimed it took more skill, only that I prefer it.  You wanna make the precision weapons projectile?  Fine, I'll live with it.   Just don't make the mistake of thinking that taking more skill automatically makes something more enjoyable.  There are plenty of other factors in the game that will help separate the top tier teams from the rest besides aiming. 

• Like (+1) 6

30 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

I never claimed it took more skill, only that I prefer it.  You wanna make the precision weapons projectile?  Fine, I'll live with it.   Just don't make the mistake of thinking that taking more skill automatically makes something more enjoyable.  There are plenty of other factors in the game that will help separate the top tier teams from the rest besides aiming. 

halo has struggled and will continue to struggle if aiming and shooting continue to take a back seat to half baked movement mechanics. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/22/2021 at 10:19 PM, Trespa5s said:

If you want to disagree with my usage of the term, fine.  But you both know damn well what I meant by Arena.  

I didn't want to call you out in particular, it's just a trend I've noticed in recent years. And yes I know what you meant.

I've "been acquainted with" moses since 2005. He's been through a lot in his life and I have my doubts it's anymore than a break from social media until he gets his headspace right and he's back in a good direction

16 hours ago, Exidrion said:

I've "been acquainted with" moses since 2005. He's been through a lot in his life and I have my doubts it's anymore than a break from social media until he gets his headspace right and he's back in a good direction

Can't hurt to check. The pandemic has been tough but even harder on those who already struggle. 

I'm looking for 1-3 GA tickets for Raleigh. Didn't realize it would sell out! Anyone have some extras? NC local and would love to go - haven't been to a Halo event since MLG Raleigh ages ago.

Or any recommendations on where I go to look for one?

Edit: for bribery, see my 16th birthday cake as admission of fandom

NF4fmdP.jpeg

• Upvote (+1) 2

On 10/23/2021 at 3:26 PM, Trespa5s said:

Just don't make the mistake of thinking that taking more skill automatically makes something more enjoyable.

For me and I'm sure for a lot of people that's exactly what it means.

41 minutes ago, Rdispushedback said:

For me and I'm sure for a lot of people that's exactly what it means.

Ah so you enjoy low gravity, max speed concussion rifle only Reach then? Actually hitting shots would take an obscene amount of skill

Hopefully this gives you enough to think about to realize something taking a lot of skill doesn't automatically make it fun lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

Ah so you enjoy low gravity, max speed concussion rifle only Reach then? Actually hitting shots would take an obscene amount of skill

Hopefully this gives you enough to think about to realize something taking a lot of skill doesn't automatically make it fun lol

Oh no that was meant for hitscan vs lead projectile context

I can't wait to see the full list of competitors. Looks like at least Ogre 2 and Hunter JJX will be involved.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On 10/23/2021 at 8:58 PM, Obnokshus said:

halo has struggled and will continue to struggle if aiming and shooting continue to take a back seat to half baked movement mechanics. 

this, I always find it more satisfying to know that I need to correct my aim a certain way (not heavy aim but user error) over suffering through seconds of pointless animation in movement mechanics such as in 343 games. 

I just randomly remembered all of this from back in the day but we need TLN fantasy points back for HCS events. They could give away controllers or whatever for fun with it

Didn't Sabinater do some pretty shitty stuff that seems to have been swept under the rug? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Another great event with Ninja/twitch rivals. This stuff has been great for everyone that's worked on it they should know these are the best two Halo events since MLG left 

• Like (+1) 2