CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2021 Discussion Thread

12 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

Apparently thats not even the worse one. Tashi has confirmed #11 will be insane

Um, is there a joke here that I'm missing :thinking:

Also I've completely given up on this top 25. Can't wait when Gandhi and T2 sit down to make the REAL list :simms:

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, NAK said:

He is trolling right? Right?...... 

Yeah, he is. Don't feed him. He definitely thinks H5 is most skillful, but he's bitched repeatedly about H3's BR. And no one actually likes H4 no descope, like come on.

• Like (+1) 1

"High TTK"

Block user.

(also that take is so bad that he has to be sarcastic)

2 hours ago, TonyDHFC said:

:apg:

sigh.

dudes good at 1 halo game and we're going to leave people like zyos off the list. and him being above t2 is also a joke.

If this was a gambling house, my prediction that they will put lethul as #1 for clicks would be PRINTING money right now. 

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah that got a lot less interesting really fast. You've gotta make believable hot takes for the list. No offense to Shotzzy though we were just talking a top 25 list of all time and events in one game isn't how you get to 14th imo. With that logic Karma could've gone #1 instead of 19 putting that aside the guy they put at 15 won nearly twice as many events almost and played in five different Halo games there just isn't any good way to swing that one 

I do think Shotzzy was kind of the one if the Halo 5 style had continued and he wasn't a CoD player now but it just didn't last nearly long enough

• Like (+1) 1

TBF, if I read the blog post correctly is based on average placing on each of the judges lists, and you can't really control where each of them put each player on the list and for what reason. They were told to "consider criteria" but every person is going to consider one thing more important than someone else does.

To really do a HOF you'd have to work out a formula that's as objective as possible, I don't see how they could do it without some form of bias.

1 hour ago, Exidrion said:

TBF, if I read the blog post correctly is based on average placing on each of the judges lists, and you can't really control where each of them put each player on the list and for what reason. They were told to "consider criteria" but every person is going to consider one thing more important than someone else does.

To really do a HOF you'd have to work out a formula that's as objective as possible, I don't see how they could do it without some form of bias.

It gets kind of murky for some placements but its actually not that difficult to be objective about a top 10 or so because the players themselves have different enough resumes in a lot of cases. Like roy/lunch/royal2/snakebite is a group that should make the top 10 but would be a little difficult to decide an order on or lethul/pistola is another combo that can be difficult but if you look at those two groups the second is clearly (imo) above the first just in terms of longevity and success at the end of the day. Longevity and average placement combined are probably the biggest contributor to making an all time list because we've played so many different Halo games at this point that the one game guys don't really have an argument at all. They belong in top 10 or 25 lists for their respective game but if you can't/didn't do it in multiple Halo titles there are plenty who have that deserve those spots

I'd probably list them into tiers instead of trying to decide the difference between 6th and 7th

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

It gets kind of murky for some placements but its actually not that difficult to be objective about a top 10 or so because the players themselves have different enough resumes in a lot of cases. Like roy/lunch/royal2/snakebite is a group that should make the top 10 but would be a little difficult to decide an order on or lethul/pistola is another combo that can be difficult but if you look at those two groups the second is clearly (imo) above the first just in terms of longevity and success at the end of the day. Longevity and average placement combined are probably the biggest contributor to making an all time list because we've played so many different Halo games at this point that the one game guys don't really have an argument at all. They belong in top 10 or 25 lists for their respective game but if you can't/didn't do it in multiple Halo titles there are plenty who have that deserve those spots

I'd probably list them into tiers instead of trying to decide the difference between 6th and 7th

Ogre 2 had a similar mentality when making his list that you described. He would pick out a set of players that he felt made up a tier and then order them how he saw fit while saying he thinks there's arguments to put any of them in that tier above another. By the time he hit player 17 or something, he said he felt there was like thirty players that you could argue should make up the last eight spots.

Not sure why I expected this list to be any better but it’s just objectively bad at this point. Bad enough for me to log in and post again. This community should do some sort of poll to create a reasonable top 25.

51 minutes ago, TonyDHFC said:

They’re gonna put Lethul above Pistola aren’t they.

Rightfully so considering his placings the last 7 years IMO.

2 hours ago, TonyDHFC said:

They’re gonna put Lethul above Pistola aren’t they.

Lethul has an absolute lock on #2 given what we've seen so far. Many judges wanted him to be #1.

6 minutes ago, bebopbandit said:

Lethul has an absolute lock on #2 given what we've seen so far. Many judges wanted him to be #1.

Jesus. How do you know this though?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Exidrion said:

Rightfully so considering his placings the last 7 years IMO.

if only this list was called "the best halo players of the last 7 years" instead of "all time." Year 2001 counts the same as 2021. well clearly the panel thinks like you though. 

• Like (+1) 4

1.6 average placing all time. A bajillion first places. Even more top 4s. Never lost a 2v2. 

11th best Halo player.

Yep, we out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Riddler said:

if only this list was called "the best halo players of the last 7 years" instead of "all time." Year 2001 counts the same as 2021. well clearly the panel thinks like you though. 

Does the era of "1 flag Zanzibar, double kills in montages" really count for as much as people think it does?

Not saying I agree with OGRE 1 being 11 btw.

• Thonking (+0) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

I got to hand it to whoever voted on this list. Mission accomplished on getting twitter impressions - there is no other rational explanation for #11. And I'm assuming at least a few voters would've put him in the 2-5 range. So that means there were other people who must've put him so far down the list on their ballot lmfao. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

Does the era of "1 flag Zanzibar, double kills in montages" really count for as much as people think it does?

Not saying I agree with OGRE 1 being 11 btw.

Or put differently: should h5 auto slayer radar be weighted the same as 1 flag zanzibar? Though I'd take both over instant respawn throwball we saw in halo4. 

However these tournaments are filled to the brim with sweats either way. It wasn't easier to win just because a gametype was whacky.