CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2021 Discussion Thread

We should have a settings discussion to spark interest in Halo again.

No matter how fucked up 343 devs the game. Like Fucks up game mechanics. The BR is going to be in the game. So no matter how they've fucked up the game, however they've done it. We can still build a game that has a skillgap.

Nope we should skip the settings discussion and do the things we know make sense from the first step rather than going through the whole song and dance we've been going through since Halo 3 only to do the same thing every time anyways.

Its never made any sense how we try to come up with reasons to not include whatever far fetched and obviously unbalanced new weapon or power they hand us. The discussion should be framed from the point of view of "Why should we allow this to be used in a competitive match?" rather than the other way around. We'd get a lot more done a lot faster that way

• Like (+1) 3

Just let me throw fusion coils at people in comp so I can make a montage with it and call it "100% HCS ONLY MONTAGE" 

We could start with the essentials (BR, Snipe, Rockets, Overshield, Camo, Shotgun, Plasma Pistol) and go from there. Personally, I would add the Sentinel Beam, Concussion Rifle/Brute Shot, and the Grenade Launcher/Sticky Detonator. Railgun was a mistake.

How has it this game has been made so terrible that the community has to muster together a fix to make it playable. There isnt a clear way to play the game to where people are like hey that guy is good at the game. People would rather instead not play a broken game and play CoD where its an actual playable game. 

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

47 minutes ago, Rdispushedback said:

How has it this game has been made so terrible that the community has to muster together a fix to make it playable. There isnt a clear way to play the game to where people are like hey that guy is good at the game. People would rather instead not play a broken game and play CoD where its an actual playable game. 

Halo 5 has a bigger skill gap than halo 3, and that is very apparent. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

We could start with the essentials (BR, Snipe, Rockets, Overshield, Camo, Shotgun, Plasma Pistol) and go from there. Personally, I would add the Sentinel Beam, Concussion Rifle/Brute Shot, and the Grenade Launcher/Sticky Detonator. Railgun was a mistake.

These weapons add no competitive value to the game. I agree with the railgun but for a different reason. I think its a good concept but doesn't work for Halo.

GAs should ban all of 343s weapons.

51 minutes ago, hvs500 said:

Halo 5 has a bigger skill gap than halo 3, and that is very apparent. 

Thats a fucked up disability and logic.

Its apparent that 343 tried to build ther own game on top of Halo and it showed that no one benefited from this. How many games do you get in Halo 5?

I'm as anxious as you guys are over what the settings will look like, but the fact is that we've seen absolutely dick w/r/t multiplayer and this could all be a moo point.

As far as the BR discussion goes, as long as the starting weapon is a precision weapon I'm OK with it.  CE's magnum was fine, for Reach the fact they used a DMR wasn't really the issue (it was the fucking bloom and other issues with the game), and 5's magnum felt solid to use too.  Would I prefer the BR?  Maybe, but I'm not going to break out the pitchfork if it's another DMR or magnum focused game as long as there aren't any god damn ARs or SMGs as starting weapons in competitive. 

14 minutes ago, Rdispushedback said:

GAs should ban all of 343s weapons.

Even if we did this the problem we would still have is the poor game design.

• Thonking (+0) 1

34 minutes ago, Rdispushedback said:

These weapons (Shotgun, Sentinel Beam, Grenade Launcher, Sticky Detonator, Brute Shot, Concussion Rifle) add no competitive value to the game.

Are you sure?

Each of these weapons are distinctive copies of Arena Weapons that've been changed for Halo's gameplay, for better or worse. Ironically, most of said display were balanced best in your favorite Halo, and the ones that weren't are still unique and tweaked well enough from the others to give a special skillset to learn. To say so boldly that there's no merit in putting them into competitive settings begs the question if you really gave thought to your statement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Are you sure?

Each of these weapons are distinctive copies of Arena Weapons that've been changed for Halo's gameplay, for better or worse. Ironically, most of said display were balanced best in your favorite Halo, and the ones that weren't are still unique and tweaked well enough from the others to give a special skillset to learn. To say so boldly that there's no merit in putting them into competitive settings begs the question if you really gave thought to your statement.

Pretty sure Halo 3 is their favorite halo. (Unless I missed something) And Halo 3's sandbox is horrendous. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OG Nick said:

Pretty sure Halo 3 is their favorite halo. (Unless I missed something) And Halo 3's sandbox is horrendous. 

The Shotgun, Sentinel Beam, and Brute Shot were fine in that game. The issue was the Battle Rifle.

Just now, S0UL FLAME said:

The Shotgun, Sentinel Beam, and Brute Shot were fine in that game. The issue was the Battle Rifle.

Think I preferred the H2 brute shot just for the arc. Sentinel beam needs to be on more maps though. Shotgun is more fun on comp maps than the mauler. But something with the extra damage probably broke it. Can't remember

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Are you sure?

It's almost commen sense my man. They offer no additional benefit to the skillgap because of their very easy ease of use. The game has to rely on some sort of aiming skill to be competitive. These are noob weapons and seen as such and seen as social playlist weapons by the community..

Idk where your logic or perspective is.

Halo 3 does NOT rely on aiming skill to be competitive. Is it there? Sure. But it's not the main part of the skill gap.

6 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Halo 3 does NOT rely on aiming skill to be competitive. Is it there? Sure. But it's not the main part of the skill gap.

PERTAINING TO WEAPON SKILLGAP

Those weapons.. are for beginners.

2 minutes ago, Rdispushedback said:

PERTAINING TO WEAPON SKILLGAP

The only weapon that has a worthwhile "skillgap" is the sniper. 

1 hour ago, Rdispushedback said:

They offer no additional benefit to the skillgap because of their very ease of use.
That's sort of the point. Sniper, Rockets, Overshield and Camo are strong items to contest for, because of their ease of use. The additional weapons offer other routes of success, while also having a much more modest drop of difficulty, when said weapons are the versions from the Halo they were designed best. Giving more options for different sets of pickups in the competitive scene will keep it from getting stagnant; not all maps need a Rocket, not all maps need a Sniper, etc.

These are noob weapons and seen as such as social playlist weapons by the community.
These are noob weapons according to you. The community at large doesn't really care about the intricacies of Halo that Beyond debate and argue over. They are on Twitter, Reddit, Halo Waypoint, Discord, whatever else, talking about lore, Campaign, playable elites, nostalgia, art, and music. The Competitive Scene, and the Forge scene, are the smallest groups of the community. People with similar opinions to yours in the Competitive Community are those who haven't made the time to study the games. Batchford was one of them, and ever since he educated himself, he's now an E-Sport pro. Really take the time to study, man.

Idk where your logic or perspective is.

We don't really have an excuse to be ignorant of Halo's history. Neither do you. Spend time learning further about these games, and have a discussion with us with that knowledge. Or, stay ignorant. Choice is yours.

Response in Bold Italic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OG Nick said:

I got it from Halo 3

I think your understanding and ability to communicate with such is kind of broken. 

The sniper is important because of how fun its roll is in the Halo 3 game. Its roll is important because of the BRs importance etc..

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 2