CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2021 Discussion Thread

On 2/1/2021 at 12:20 AM, Frostbite XV2 said:

So... how's the real estate market looking for everyone?

$700/mo for a 450sq ft efficiency in Corpus Christi, TX (excluding electricity)

Man 343/Grassroots really killed this thread I haven’t kept up with anything pro halo related since the grassroots started I have zero interest in watching meaningless online tournaments.

I’d imagine that’s the same for most of us based on how fast this thread moves now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Commander Eagle said:

Spartan and Ryanoob on the same team in the open tourney today!! Never thought I would see the day :D

From what I've been watching so far the teams going alright as well, they seem to be working well together.

On 2/6/2021 at 9:54 PM, TonyDHFC said:

From what I've been watching so far the teams going alright as well, they seem to be working well together.

I'm not surprised they're doing well. I remember thinking back when they were beefing, that they would probably make a sick duo if they could just hash shit out.

On 2/10/2021 at 12:31 PM, Hard Way said:

I'm not surprised they're doing well. I remember thinking back when they were beefing, that they would probably make a sick duo if they could just hash shit out.

I remember when they were beefing and how much I wanted HCS to make a story of it and they never did. Missed opportunities. Also I want to see more rivalries, esports is so bland without them. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/31/2021 at 10:20 PM, Frostbite XV2 said:

So... how's the real estate market looking for everyone?

$100 per year. 17 bedrooms. 15 bathrooms. Home theatre. Aquarium. Avery. 16 car garage. Gigabit internet. Only issue is that the fourth kitchen tap leaks sometimes.

• Thonking (+0) 1

dude. I know this is random as hell, but when did the community start calling headshots with a snipe a blaine/blainer? whats the origin story? It's one of the small cool little things we came up with but nobody talks about how it came about.

8 minutes ago, Bloodshot1990 said:

when did the community start calling headshots with a snipe a blaine

At least as far back as Halo 2.  

New Paradise Halo video for you guys!  This was in the works before the posts here, but it's still funny timing.  Hope you guys enjoy! 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Knighty Knight said:

Great work @Trespa5s

Thanks :) Xander killed it with the edit.  I was already happy with the script/recording but he really brought it to life.

2 hours ago, Commander Eagle said:

we're supposed to get another infinite esports update this month... 2 more days left??

Bold of you to assume there's going to be any worthwhile news in it. 

Still pretty salty Halo 2 received no tournaments, no LANs, no events, no support, no recognition, no funding, no Grassroots partnerships, no recognition, etc from any person or party at 343i and HCS.  Literally the only game in the series that was not acknowledged nor shown any spotlight these past couple of years when our scene clearly needed it the most.  Last official event was an Open event in late 2007 in Canada FFS.  They literally made pros play Fiesta and Grifball for thousands of dollars before even speaking of Halo 2.  And let's not forgot the $200K+ they threw to whiney Twitch PC babies who quit Reach a month after it was ported.  I'll never forgive them for that.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Squatting Bear said:

Still pretty salty Halo 2 received no tournaments, no LANs, no events, no support, no recognition, no funding, no Grassroots partnerships, no recognition, etc from any person or party at 343i and HCS.  Literally the only game in the series that was not acknowledged nor shown any spotlight these past couple of years when our scene clearly needed it the most.  Last official event was an Open event in late 2007 in Canada FFS.  They literally made pros play Fiesta and Grifball for thousands of dollars before even speaking of Halo 2.  And let's not forgot the $200K+ they threw to whiney Twitch PC babies who quit Reach a month after it was ported.  I'll never forgive them for that.  

Halo 1 and Halo 4 didn't get any love either. Halo 2 is my favorite online Halo but I'm not too worried about it because Halo 3 plays like a dream and a THOUSAND times better than the MCC H2 Vista version. 

• WutFace (+0) 1

4 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

Halo 1 and Halo 4 didn't get any love either. Halo 2 is my favorite online Halo but I'm not too worried about it because Halo 3 plays like a dream and a THOUSAND times better than the MCC H2 Vista version. 

CE got side events at HCS sponsored UGC events. H4 got the weapon skin reward for reaching a certain rank, which drove a ton of traffic to the game.

Meanwhile H2 doesn't even have a permanent ranked playlist, has had no HCS event support, has had no seasonal content drops, and has had negligible gameplay-affecting support. I see why he's mad.

But we can't ignore how wholly outclassed H2 MCC is by Project Cartographer. Until H2 can approach that level of quality, they probably are better off not drawing attention to the shameful state of the game.  But ffs, how long does it take? How many more years?

• Upvote (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Hard Way said:

CE got side events at HCS sponsored UGC events. H4 got the weapon skin reward for reaching a certain rank, which drove a ton of traffic to the game.

Meanwhile H2 doesn't even have a permanent ranked playlist, has had no HCS event support, has had no seasonal content drops, and has had negligible gameplay-affecting support. I see why he's mad.

But we can't ignore how wholly outclassed H2 MCC is by Project Cartographer. Until H2 can approach that level of quality, they probably are better off not drawing attention to the shameful state of the game.  But ffs, how long does it take? How many more years?

I honestly think the entire state of MCC H2 from the quality to the population is a very direct result of 343 just not giving the game the time of day. Its really sad that somehow it got so bad that the community had to leave, fix their own game, advertise and distribute it on their own despite 343 having a pc/xbox version of it for sale right now that they're making money off of. H2 fans literally couldn't buy help from 343. I would be SO mad about it if I only played H2 and even still it does annoy me to think about. I can't really even figure out why they were done so dirty compared to every other Halo fan base. The really sad part about it all is that project cartographer is actually really nice but the more casual fan that would've liked to play some H2 probably has never heard of it

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

On 2/26/2021 at 8:35 PM, Squatting Bear said:

Curious if this comes down to the fact that the "flaws" of the game from a programming perspective are front and center. I don't really buy it as an excuse, but I can still understand why a developer might not want to pump resources into a game when the clips everyone will talk about will highlight what developers probably consider shoddy work on Bungie's part.

On 2/26/2021 at 8:03 AM, Commander Eagle said:

we're supposed to get another infinite esports update this month... 2 more days left??

Is there supposed to be one?

Well we did the post a couple days ago, but it really wasn't of any more help than the previous one.  Still nothing terribly worthwhile in it unless you're new coming into the scene. 

TL;DR - It explains what a TO is and the different levels of them (seriously), re-announces Esports Engine as the "Global Management Partner," and says that Grassroots organizers are going to be eligible for "sanctioning" (ie. allow players to earn HCS points by competing in their events).

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/halo-infinite-esports-ecosystem-february

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Trespa5s said:

Well we did the post a couple days ago, but it really wasn't of any more help than the previous one.  Still nothing terribly worthwhile in it unless you're new coming into the scene. 

TL;DR - It explains what a TO is and the different levels of them (seriously), re-announces Esports Engine as the "Global Management Partner," and says that Grassroots organizers are going to be eligible for "sanctioning" (ie. allow players to earn HCS points by competing in their events).

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/halo-infinite-esports-ecosystem-february

Okay so nothing of substance. 

Almost makes me feel for the esports teams picking up players for a HCS circuit that didnt even happen.