Jump to content
CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Alright, but I don't blame anyone for not believing it.

From 2015 to 2018, the REQ pack system made an unprecedented amount of money. How unprecedented? Sixty million copies of Halo games are out there worldwide; if you were to multiply the cost of a new game sixty million times, you'd get 3.6 billion dollars. The REQ Pack system, through the power of modern Halo cucks and little kids, apparently made five times that amount.

Never really bothered sharing that, as it doesn't sound true. But crazier things have happened these past five years.

This wouldn't shock me at all. I've watched grown men spend hundreds of dollars on card packs for FIFA Ultimate Team.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, NAK said:

Does anyone else think it is strange how there are already teams and orgs forming around a game as an "Esport" even though we have pretty much no clue how it is going to play?

I get that 343 has already committed to supporting Infinite's competitive side for at least a little while (for Marketing/publicity purposes) similar to H5, but I find it hard to take any of it seriously when we know nothing about it.  The fact there might not be any type of Beta for the multiplayer is a shame as well. I'm not seeing anything that is reassuring me that this isn't just going to be another case of a handful of design directors inside 343 deciding upon a multiplayer style they like and forcing the community to play it. 

its not that strange. all you need is the hcs team reaching out to contacts and promoting. we have @Clap and his company running the league last we heard so thats a plus. they just need to promote prizing and confirm team size. i would imagine that there is a MP demo or playable build that can be shown to build investment into the scene. and courting these known brands, especially a c9 or potentially tsm would massively boost viewership for when competition starts up

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Alright, but I don't blame anyone for not believing it.

From 2015 to 2018, the REQ pack system made an unprecedented amount of money. How unprecedented? Sixty million copies of Halo games are out there worldwide; if you were to multiply the cost of a new game sixty million times, you'd get 3.6 billion dollars. The REQ Pack system, through the power of modern Halo cucks and little kids, apparently made five times that amount.

Never really bothered sharing that, as it doesn't sound true. But crazier things have happened these past five years.

That sounds about right.  Whales in F2P games are a huge part of why the system works so well.  And, while H5 wasn't F2P, the REQ pack system is identical to Gacha/F2P systems.

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Craneteam said:

 i would imagine that there is a MP demo or playable build that can be shown to build investment into the scene. and courting these known brands, especially a c9 or potentially tsm would massively boost viewership for when competition starts up

I heard the staff at Halo Outpost were playing early builds of it. If volunteers are getting access then I'm SURE the higher ups at major organizations that we need to invest in our scene are getting priority playtime. 

I am a huge fan of Halo 5 Warzone. Each mode. Even Firefight. I'd love to believe REQ packs made billions and billions for MIcrosoft but that number might be exaggerated. All good news though

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Alright, but I don't blame anyone for not believing it.

From 2015 to 2018, the REQ pack system made an unprecedented amount of money. How unprecedented? Sixty million copies of Halo games are out there worldwide; if you were to multiply the cost of a new game sixty million times, you'd get 3.6 billion dollars. The REQ Pack system, through the power of modern Halo cucks and little kids, apparently made five times that amount.

Never really bothered sharing that, as it doesn't sound true. But crazier things have happened these past five years.

I find it really hard to believe people spent an average of $300 on REQs for every Halo title ever bought if I'm reading your stats right. Whales are one thing but an average of 300 per copy of Halo 5 already seems crazy but your stats are for every Halo game released not just H5. For more perspective the entire game industry for 2020 is something like 159 billion globally. Those numbers aren't just unbelievable 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Snipe Three said:

I find it really hard to believe people spent an average of $300 on REQs for every Halo title ever bought if I'm reading your stats right. Whales are one thing but an average of 300 per copy of Halo 5 already seems crazy but your stats are for every Halo game released not just H5. For more perspective the entire game industry for 2020 is something like 159 billion globally. Those numbers aren't just unbelievable 

Right this is basically impossible. 3.6 billion times five is 18 billion and Halo 5 allegedly sold around 5 million copies, that would mean the average player spent 3600$ on REQ packs. Even if it sold 10 million (lol) that would mean 1800$ per player on average. Sure, whales and kids with papas credit card are stupid but not THAT stupid. Also considering Warzone Assault was completely dead a year after the game came out, I personally never found a game of WZ without using expanded, and the estimated player base being below 20k for most of the game's lifespan, this just doesn't make any sense. Why would people pay that much for p2w packs yet never play online?

This also doesn't even factor in that historically 50% of the people who bought a Halo game never even once touched multiplayer. "Rare" achievement stats also confirm this, most of the multiplayer achievements will put you in the top 5% to 0.1% of the population depending on difficulty. So you can basically remove 2.5 million of those H5 sales and say the average MP player bought 7200$ worth of REQs which I'm pretty sure would instantly unlock everything in the game.

I dont doubt REQs are a cash cow, but these numbers are off by at least an order of magnitude lmao.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Basu said:

Right this is basically impossible. 3.6 billion times five is 18 billion and Halo 5 allegedly sold around 5 million copies, that would mean the average player spent 3600$ on REQ packs. Even if it sold 10 million (lol) that would mean 1800$ per player on average. Sure, whales and kids with papas credit card are stupid but not THAT stupid. Also considering Warzone Assault was completely dead a year after the game came out, I personally never found a game of WZ without using expanded, and the estimated player base being below 20k for most of the game's lifespan, this just doesn't make any sense. Why would people pay that much for p2w packs yet never play online?

This also doesn't even factor in that historically 50% of the people who bought a Halo game never even once touched multiplayer. "Rare" achievement stats also confirm this, most of the multiplayer achievements will put you in the top 5% to 0.1% of the population depending on difficulty. So you can basically remove 2.5 million of those H5 sales and say the average MP player bought 7200$ worth of REQs which I'm pretty sure would instantly unlock everything in the game.

I dont doubt REQs are a cash cow, but these numbers are off by at least an order of magnitude lmao.

nah bro Halo 5 had MILLIONS, REQ packs are CASH COW

fb4941345cd45460bffd6d77d9b92364.png

 

 

  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Recently framed all these signed jerseys I have collected over the years (ogre2 one isnt signed since I got it from Roy).

 

img%5D

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/6/2020 at 10:16 PM, znot said:

nah bro Halo 5 had MILLIONS, REQ packs are CASH COW

fb4941345cd45460bffd6d77d9b92364.png

 

 

If I've learnt only one thing about 343 over the last 10 years, it is that anything Frank O'Connor claims is the opposite of the truth.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post

In July 2018 that doesn't sound like such a huge lie

At peak hours of MCC (Xbox and PC) there are almost 100,000 people playing each month

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

The point is though that the community will always look at current players online as that is what affects their ability to find good quality matches the most, whereas devs will look at unique players per month/year because it gives them a good looking statistic for their dying game. There's a reason they removed the population counter you know...

Share this post


Link to post

When it comes to popularity numbers you can kind of pick whichever number suits you the most. Frank saying they had millions of people on Halo 5 in 2018 is certainly plausible if you're counting literally each unique person that logged on or bought the game new. Most people consider active to be amount of people logged on and playing concurrently at any given moment and I find it hard to believe any game other than the most popular ones in 2018 had millions of actual active users. For a game to have that level of popularity 3 years after release would make it something like one of the best 5 xbox live games ever... like there is literally no game averaging more than a half million concurrent users right now the game with the most is MW 2019 at 540K at 11PM on a week night...

If you're going to lie at least make it believable instead of unbelievable.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/6/2020 at 10:39 PM, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

This wouldn't shock me at all. I've watched grown men spend hundreds of dollars on card packs for FIFA Ultimate Team.

My friend has spent $3200 on League of Legends. Like holy shit. I played 10-12 hours a week for a year and spent $49. I regret every hour but at least only $49.

$3200.

Another one of my friends has spent over $700 in those fucking Funko pop dolls.

  • WutFace (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post

If only 100,000 players throughout the past 5 years have spent that kinda dough then we are talking about $300m. On top of game sales.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, CYRiX said:

When it comes to popularity numbers you can kind of pick whichever number suits you the most. Frank saying they had millions of people on Halo 5 in 2018 is certainly plausible if you're counting literally each unique person that logged on or bought the game new. Most people consider active to be amount of people logged on and playing concurrently at any given moment and I find it hard to believe any game other than the most popular ones in 2018 had millions of actual active users. For a game to have that level of popularity 3 years after release would make it something like one of the best 5 xbox live games ever... like there is literally no game averaging more than a half million concurrent users right now the game with the most is MW 2019 at 540K at 11PM on a week night...

If you're going to lie at least make it believable instead of unbelievable.

Yeah it was millions in the sense that it was , june (6 months into the year) and roughly 20k player per day averages about 3.6 mill on h5 after 6 months of time. 20k as referenced by rocket league and battlefield WHO did have population counters at the time of the post and were ahead of halo 5s position in the most played chart on xbl. soooo. 15-20k is avg. 20k is the number frank  started the DM with me about. to laugh at my calculations but what else did we have at the time? nothing. he even mentions it

still 20k seems low, but that just maybe the new normal loool. Hell, Fall Guys dropped to 36-24k average. Regardless, I don't think Halo should average 20K combined across platforms. It should be 90k combined. 30 per platform

I can post the full DM if you want more context.

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Hold on, didn't Microsoft buy Bethesda for 8 billion?

7.5 for zenimax and bethesda and all subsidiary publishers

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

7.5 for zenimax and bethesda and all subsidiary publishers

That's roughly half of the supposed money they made from 343's REQ system. Would also explain 343 not being replaced as of yet. I dunno man, after remembering that happening, there could be some truth to it.

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe Marty Byrde is handling the financials for the REQ packs.  

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

That's roughly half of the supposed money they made from 343's REQ system. Would also explain 343 not being replaced as of yet. I dunno man, after remembering that happening, there could be some truth to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZeniMax_Media those subsidaies have put out quality games and will worth the investment over the long term.

imagine if they gave halo to id software...that could be awesome

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

+rep for taste in good drama

The wait is killing me! It's always the best shows that make you wait.

  • Fire (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, xSociety said:

The wait is killing me! It's always the best shows that make you wait.

The best everything make you wait. :simms:

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy.