CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

9 minutes ago, CYRiX said:

Well for xbox I combine a couple of different methods and it depends on the game. For Halo 5 specifically I use two methods:

The first one is using the official Halo 5 API and twitch API. Basically I use the twitch api to see if anyone is streaming Halo 5 (to get a gamertag that's online). Starting there I then use their game history via the H5 API to crawl through all of their games played in the last 15 minutes to see how many other players they played with. Then I recursively do the same for those players. This does a pretty good job but the caveat is it's only capturing people playing MP games. During morning hours when the population is at it's lowest though it sometimes struggles to find anyone online to start the process. That's where I use one of gamstat's endpoints and average the results to make sure I'm not undercounting H5's population too much.

Gamstat's website is pretty cool. What they do is they crawl xbox live users and use a small sample of the entire population and then extrapolate it to known amount of total xbox live players. This approach is pretty good and certainly does a good job for popular games but it's precision for games with very small populations (like Halo 3/Reach/4 on 360 and to a lesser extent Halo 5) is less good. https://gamstat.com/games/xbox/

Yeah from what I've seen 343 has a slight problem on their hands: Their game, Halo 5, is definitely less popular than MCC which is a collection of games they didn't make (outside of H4). So while MCC is certainly flawed I've still been relatively impressed with their contributions towards it. Like shit on their inability to actually fix things all you want, but they've been working on a collection of games across two platforms for 6 years now and if I was working for them I'd be slightly pissed all of these customers want that vs wanting H5.

Assuming I worked there if I stopped and thought about it long enough I'd be thankful the studio still exists and is more than the skeleton crew maintaining MCC when I realized we were mostly getting bodied by a collection of old games we didn't really make

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

Really happy for Snip3down, but a little sad as well... this news combined with the Infinite delay means Snip3down’s probably not coming back to Halo.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Skor said:

can you imagine if spipedown was able to convince tsm to pick up a halo roster whenever that comes out. how fire would that be for the hcs

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Commander Eagle said:

Really happy for Snip3down, but a little sad as well... this news combined with the Infinite delay means Snip3down’s probably not coming back to Halo.

He's said on stream multiple times that he's going to try and compete in Infinite when it comes out. Granted this was when he was still playing with Sweet and Dropped on Rogue, but I imagine he's cleared it with TSM before signing. Apparently the reason he never actually signed with Rogue was because the contract they offered him was too small. All I know is that as a fan of Snip3down and a fan of competitive Apex, things just became a lot more interesting. This roster is going to be unstoppable once they build their chemistry. 

2 hours ago, Craneteam said:

can you imagine if spipedown was able to convince tsm to pick up a halo roster whenever that comes out. how fire would that be for the hcs

Don’t tease me like that :kappa:

Its wild to me that no one wanted to pick him up in COD. The r/codcomp subreddit was even saying it was expected bcs he was average anyways. I honestly had no idea people thought that. I genuinely though he was a top player.

It also looks like things didnt end well with Mutineers.

• Toxic (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MUSE_iC said:

Its wild to me that no one wanted to pick him up in COD. The r/codcomp subreddit was even saying it was expected bcs he was average anyways. I honestly had no idea people thought that. I genuinely though he was a top player.

It also looks like things didnt end well with Mutineers.

CDL lost a lot of player spots. There's a bunch of talent scrambling for a team right now. Frosty wasn't bad at MW, but he wasn't the force of nature he is in Halo either. Combined with the rumored cost cutting in salaries, I'm not shocked.

13 minutes ago, LoftiestTea33 said:
(Cloud 9 Tweet, cut for space/loading)

:ace::weback:

3/4 of my favorite TL roster, plus one of the most dominant slayers in H5.

C9 likely consistent top 3 assuming same level of dedication these guys had during H5's run.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Snipe Three said:

How many times have they left and returned to Halo anyways? C9 that is

They first joined in 2014 for H2A.

Disbanded in late 2015.

Rejoin for the HWC in 2016.

Disband a shortly thereafter.

Reform in July of 2016.

Get fourth at the Season Finals, and disband ~3 weeks later.

Now they've rejoined again. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Safe to say HCS told C9 some juicy intel, so they pounced on the opportunity  :intensifies:

34 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

Safe to say Microsoft is throwing BAGS at Halo.

The reason for it, according to what I know, is very ridiculous and one of the few leaks I'm not too sure about

• Thonking (+0) 1

51 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

The reason for it, according to what I know, is very ridiculous and one of the few leaks I'm not too sure about

Tell us what you know!

3 hours ago, Metaphysics said:

Tell us what you know!

Alright, but I don't blame anyone for not believing it.

From 2015 to 2018, the REQ pack system made an unprecedented amount of money. How unprecedented? Sixty million copies of Halo games are out there worldwide; if you were to multiply the cost of a new game sixty million times, you'd get 3.6 billion dollars. The REQ Pack system, through the power of modern Halo cucks and little kids, apparently made five times that amount.

Never really bothered sharing that, as it doesn't sound true. But crazier things have happened these past five years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Does anyone else think it is strange how there are already teams and orgs forming around a game as an "Esport" even though we have pretty much no clue how it is going to play?

I get that 343 has already committed to supporting Infinite's competitive side for at least a little while (for Marketing/publicity purposes) similar to H5, but I find it hard to take any of it seriously when we know nothing about it.  The fact there might not be any type of Beta for the multiplayer is a shame as well. I'm not seeing anything that is reassuring me that this isn't just going to be another case of a handful of design directors inside 343 deciding upon a multiplayer style they like and forcing the community to play it.