CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, FeaR said:

What are the problems associated with H5 PC?

The game has massive performance issue for me at least. Get FPS drops from 60 to the 40s despite my hardware being way above what is needed to run it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Simms (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CyReN said:

Probably the correct move tbh, MCC is dead in the water at this point.

18 hours ago, FeaR said:

What are the problems associated with H5 PC?

Awful KBM input, apparently. You also need a mod to run the game at a higher FOV. 

I do feel bad for anyone having to go back to console framerates and fov now that they understand what its like to play on PC

Its hard to not feel the difference once you can recognize it

• Upvote (+1) 1

I actually do think it is an odd choice to pivot back to H5 right now, especially with a big hit detection/patch imminent for H3. I'd assume this is a choice being made based off their internal population numbers, or because H5 is much closer to what they think the future of Halo esports is than H3. 

This might seem stupid but it would be cool if they implemented settings that would be close to Infinite as possible but then again the maps would probably not work well with those settings. :mj:

24 minutes ago, FeaR said:

This might seem stupid but it would be cool if they implemented settings that would be close to Infinite as possible

I did this, and yes, the default maps are actually too large. The amount of movement possible in Infinite is closer to classic than any other modern Halo. The Mythic maps were much better, but I gave up trying to get lobbies going.

2 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

I did this, and yes, the default maps are actually too large. The amount of movement possible in Infinite is closer to classic than any other modern Halo. The Mythic maps were much better, but I gave up trying to get lobbies going.

I was actually interested enough to check out some of that stuff I just can't stand actually playing H5 because of how input feels in that game in general. It seems like it would be pretty fun for people if they can get past how the controls feel in H5 though

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I was actually interested enough to check out some of that stuff I just can't stand actually playing H5 because of how input feels in that game in general. It seems like it would be pretty fun for people if they can get past how the controls feel in H5 though

I wanted so badly to enjoy Mythic. The settings are phenomenal. It's the best H5 has ever felt. But good God, man. That game just feels like complete ass to play. No matter what I change, BASIC looking around/aiming feels so utterly awful. This is compounded by SBMM, where I'm playing for my fucking life every single game, every single battle. It's such an uncomfortable experience.

If Infinite played somewhat close to Mythic (without thrust bc I still fucking hate it, even in Mythic), and I could actually aim in it, I'd be pretty damn happy.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

I wanted so badly to enjoy Mythic. The settings are phenomenal. It's the best H5 has ever felt. But good God, man. That game just feels like complete ass to play. No matter what I change, BASIC looking around/aiming feels so utterly awful. This is compounded by SBMM, where I'm playing for my fucking life every single game, every single battle. It's such an uncomfortable experience.

If Infinite played somewhat close to Mythic (without thrust bc I still fucking hate it, even in Mythic), and I could actually aim in it, I'd be pretty damn happy.

• Like (+1) 3

Good thing there is a ridiculous archive of Halo 1, 2, 3, 4, Reach, and H2A gameplay! Not to mention a ton of new content being produced daily. 

But before you go.. did you see this by chance?

• Like (+1) 2

Watching that makes me hope in Infinite that players keep individually streaming everything that is done for online tournaments. The couple of spectator mode clips just look off. I forgot how that felt since we haven't had to deal with it in awhile 

What is the benefit to playing on PC? I normally play stuff on PC but for H5 specifically I have had nothing but issues but even for people that it runs normally on it is still capped at 60 fps. I don't see what is better about it on PC other than just its PC

17 minutes ago, infraction said:

What is the benefit to playing on PC? I normally play stuff on PC but for H5 specifically I have had nothing but issues but even for people that it runs normally on it is still capped at 60 fps. I don't see what is better about it on PC other than just its PC

As far as I understand it there is no heavy aim on PC and the aiming work as you would expect it to. I get why they would want to play on it, but same as you the PC version for me is a buggy mess that almost always crashes on me. It makes sense as to why they chose to run the tournaments on console. Idk how they expect them to get anything going on PC. People refuse to see that there is no one to work on that game.

On 9/18/2020 at 11:59 PM, NAK said:

I actually do think it is an odd choice to pivot back to H5 right now, especially with a big hit detection/patch imminent for H3. I'd assume this is a choice being made based off their internal population numbers, or because H5 is much closer to what they think the future of Halo esports is than H3. 

The numbers are a little skewed with ODST being released right now but H5's population isn't that great it's probably on the same level or lower than H3 across XB1/PC this year. I made http://spartanfinder.com/ to monitor stuff like this.

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/24/2020 at 11:23 PM, CYRiX said:

The numbers are a little skewed with ODST being released right now but H5's population isn't that great it's probably on the same level or lower than H3 across XB1/PC this year. I made http://spartanfinder.com/ to monitor stuff like this.

How do you get the numbers for Xbox? 30k+ (20k on steam charts right now) people playing between Xbox and PC is honestly pretty respectable for a 6 year old game without cross-play, custom games browser etc. 

Well for xbox I combine a couple of different methods and it depends on the game. For Halo 5 specifically I use two methods:

The first one is using the official Halo 5 API and twitch API. Basically I use the twitch api to see if anyone is streaming Halo 5 (to get a gamertag that's online). Starting there I then use their game history via the H5 API to crawl through all of their games played in the last 15 minutes to see how many other players they played with. Then I recursively do the same for those players. This does a pretty good job but the caveat is it's only capturing people playing MP games. During morning hours when the population is at it's lowest though it sometimes struggles to find anyone online to start the process. That's where I use one of gamstat's endpoints and average the results to make sure I'm not undercounting H5's population too much.

Gamstat's website is pretty cool. What they do is they crawl xbox live users and use a small sample of the entire population and then extrapolate it to known amount of total xbox live players. This approach is pretty good and certainly does a good job for popular games but it's precision for games with very small populations (like Halo 3/Reach/4 on 360 and to a lesser extent Halo 5) is less good. https://gamstat.com/games/xbox/

Yeah from what I've seen 343 has a slight problem on their hands: Their game, Halo 5, is definitely less popular than MCC which is a collection of games they didn't make (outside of H4). So while MCC is certainly flawed I've still been relatively impressed with their contributions towards it. Like shit on their inability to actually fix things all you want, but they've been working on a collection of games across two platforms for 6 years now and if I was working for them I'd be slightly pissed all of these customers want that vs wanting H5.

• Like (+1) 2