CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

Lethul does a pretty damn good job of being that personality. We just dont have enough content surrounding him. Spartan also brings the heat more often than not. 

• Like (+1) 3

Competitive gaming is better when there's story lines. Like when Huntsmen vs Optic happened, it was so hype because of storylines. The Spartan v. Ryanoob beef was so refreshing. However this Neighbor vs Flamesword stuff could be cool. Would love to see more heat though.

It’s funny looking back at H5 HCS, because despite the game being garbage (IMO) and not being at all fun to play, it truly was very entertaining to watch.

Weekly Pro League matches; Lethul leaving EG for CLG then losing to his former team at XGames; OpTic buying CLG was absolutely wild; so many excellent viewing experiences, rivalries, championship series, bracket resets, etc. I really do miss it, especially considering the drought we’re going through right now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, darkstar said:

It’s funny looking back at H5 HCS, because despite the game being garbage (IMO) and not being at all fun to play, it truly was very entertaining to watch.

Weekly Pro League matches; Lethul leaving EG for CLG then losing to his former team at XGames; OpTic buying CLG was absolutely wild; so many excellent viewing experiences, rivalries, championship series, bracket resets, etc. I really do miss it, especially considering the drought we’re going through right now. 

Agree with this very strongly; H5 was a much more enjoyable experience to watch than it was to play (from a competitive standpoint I mean, from a casual standpoint H5 was a lot of fun to play as well with Warzone, great custom games, etc)

3 hours ago, Commander Eagle said:

from a casual standpoint H5 was a lot of fun to play as well with Warzone, great custom games, etc)

That's a point that gets lost a lot, I think.  While I personally still had a decent time playing competitive, the social side was amazing.  They did a lot of cool things with H5 (and working towards in MCC) that I really hope make a return in Infinite. 

3 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Should Automag starts be trialed in Hardcore Halo 3?

Carbine replacement maybe? (On map pick-up)

So if Infinite really does get delayed to 2022, does that mean we're gonna see some H4 HCS events? :apg:

1 hour ago, Trespa5s said:

So if Infinite really does get delayed to 2022, does that mean we're gonna see some H4 HCS events? :apg:

At this point I won't be surprised when we start the BTB series just to have something to kill time with

• Upvote (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Should Automag starts be trialed in Hardcore Halo 3?

I'm not in the flight to try them personally but they should 100% be tested imo. I've heard the autoaim is pretty generous on them but outside of that seems like the perfect utility weapon especially compared to the RNG fest of the h3 BR

wtf is an automag?

if it's the new pistol i wager we replace either ya carbine or the green gun with it. Cause theres really only one green gun (plasma pistol) per map. That I can think of...

No one ever uses the green gun, but no one ever uses carbine either. I'd say replace either, but carbine at least has a role still. Plasma pistol was soo shite (tho I'm glad it wasnt h2 OP)

On 8/24/2020 at 2:21 AM, Trespa5s said:

I mean, that's basically what made competitive CoD as big as it is now.  Maven was spot on when he said they're the WWE of esports.  No shade, it's just what it is. 

Halo could stand to loosen up from the buttoned down era we're in now.  Even back in Halo's heyday, you still had guys like Gandhi & T2 going at it to liven things up.  The Snip3down/Lxthul beef at the start of H5 made Xgames super hype to watch.  Individual personalities are great, but a good rivalry every now and again pumps a lot of life into the scene. 

Shit talk, within reasonable boundaries, should exist in all esports, period.

Follow some simple rules:

• No personal insults.  We're all human here.
  • Be prepared to eat your words.  If you talk shit and lose, be able to laugh it off.
  • Understand that no matter who your opponent is, you're part of the same community.  Give respect, regardless.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • That's...that's it.  Why are you still reading the bullet points?

Hell, even KeSPA realized this long ago and before major tournament StarCraft and League matches would pull aside both teams clashing aside and film interviews in which they were TOLD TO TALK TRASH about the other team.  You could see good natured meaning and camaraderie behind it, though, as they'd often have jovial expressions and be laughing as they were saying it.

It makes me sad when TOs and production don't allow teams the platform to dial up the rivalry with playful jabs toward one another.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TiberiusAudley said:

• Be prepared to eat your words.  If you talk shit and lose, be able to laugh it off.
  • Understand that no matter who your opponent is, you're part of the same community.  Give respect, regardless.
  •  
  •  
  •  

Hell, even KeSPA realized this long ago and before major tournament StarCraft and League matches would pull aside both teams clashing aside and film interviews in which they were TOLD TO TALK TRASH about the other team.  You could see good natured meaning and camaraderie behind it, though, as they'd often have jovial expressions and be laughing as they were saying it.

It makes me sad when TOs and production don't allow teams the platform to dial up the rivalry with playful jabs toward one another.

when i think about forced shit talk I think about apex 2015 salty suite where it was just cringe af every match.

3 hours ago, TiberiusAudley said:

•  
  •  
  •  

gears of war trash talk was on another level. good trash talk gets players and fans pumped and gets people caring about individuals and not just the final scores

Honestly people hype up the lethul snipedown rivalry, but for me the weekly pro league had some great stuff too. Str8 having that dream season to escape relegation when Heinz put them on his back. The cratos stellur drama. All the VicX stuff. All the stuff around EG. Lotta great organic storylines.

I think the weekly format with pretty fixed teams just naturally lends itself better to stuff like that compared to tourneys with big gaps between them where everyone shuffles around apart from like top 2.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

OK, well at least they shut this down relatively quickly.

i mean there were no plans to delay this game before the reveal event so i dont know how seriously i take this

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

1 hour ago, Craneteam said:

i mean there were no plans to delay this game before the reveal event so i dont know how seriously i take this

Fair, but at the same time I take it seriously enough to call the "leak" that it'll be delayed to 2022 BS for now.  If we're deep into 2021 with no real info, then we can revisit.  The point is, there's likely no serious talk about a second delay going on right now or Uny wouldn't have tweeted that. 

1 hour ago, LoftiestTea33 said:

Honestly people hype up the lethul snipedown rivalry, but for me the weekly pro league had some great stuff too. Str8 having that dream season to escape relegation when Heinz put them on his back. The cratos stellur drama. All the VicX stuff. All the stuff around EG. Lotta great organic storylines.

I think the weekly format with pretty fixed teams just naturally lends itself better to stuff like that compared to tourneys with big gaps between them where everyone shuffles around apart from like top 2.

Completely agree. Thats why I'm enjoying the MCC Pro Series

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LoftiestTea33 said:

TBH that was the best part of H5 competitive. It legit felt like watching sports to me, where I was looking forward to the matches and the rivalries every week. Didn’t hurt that the casting and production were great too. I still remember individual plays from Pro League, like when it looked like CLG was going to lose their first series ever but they stormed back in game 5, or when Ninja got that no scope sniper double kill to get EG the win... We absolutely need a league format for Infinite competitive; the old MLG times where we only got a few LAN events were great for the time but really don’t hold up today.

• Fire (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Commander Eagle said:

TBH that was the best part of H5 competitive. It legit felt like watching sports to me, where I was looking forward to the matches and the rivalries every week. Didn’t hurt that the casting and production were great too. I still remember individual plays from Pro League, like when it looked like CLG was going to lose their first series ever but they stormed back in game 5, or when Ninja got that no scope sniper double kill to get EG the win... We absolutely need a league format for Infinite competitive; the old MLG times where we only got a few LAN events were great for the time but really don’t hold up today.

Exactly! The Neighbor/Flamesword drama was the most action we've seen of that calibur since the Pro League with Enigma 6. Cratos was a fantastic heel and Neighbor seems to fit that role extremely well. I'm praying we see BTH take on SQ at some point this Saturday. 

• Like (+1) 1

People here celebrating the rivalries and conflict in Halo are selectively not mentioning the biggest time things went too far. Everything is fun and games until Cratos and his org take your family.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Craneteam said:

gears of war trash talk was on another level. good trash talk gets players and fans pumped and gets people caring about individuals and not just the final scores

Gears trash talk involved other players' mothers and sexualities and is not a good indication of what I'm talking about.

The only form of trash talk I find acceptable is the kind featured on Flea Market Flip.  

• Like (+1) 1