CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

18 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Yes. I've been in the know about Halo Infinite since 2017. For sure thought there would either be another H5 launch situation, or a delay.

:intel::intel::intel::intel::intel::intel::intel::intel::intel:

2 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Okay.

In 2017 I was told a decent, but vague, amount of information about the next Halo game, except for its name. I was told that Campaign was going to be semi-open world, similar to Destiny, and would be set on a very important Halo ring, the one teased on Halo 5 Guardians' Legendary ending. I was told Forge was going to be very awesome, a larger step forward than H2A to Halo 5. I was told Multiplayer had, and I quote, "Some cool old shit, some cool new shit, but some really stupid shit." Two remakes were in the works.

The HCS test Playlist back in 2017, which had a tweaked BR and Gunfighter, was actually a testing bed for Infinite's starting weapons at the time. They were going to have Infinite be another Halo 5, save for the removal of Spartan Charge and Ground Pound. Needless to say, we know now that Infinite has Sprint, Slide, and Clamber, with Armor Augments (Armor Abilities with limited fuel) as pickups alongside Power-Ups and Power Weapons.

But, this was when the game was still being developed on Unreal Engine 4. The following info was fed to me over the years.

The game was redeveloped through a heavily modified Blam Engine, and hell came with it. Several months of different iterations of Multiplayer and Campaign, art design, level design, weapon sandbox, Utility Weapon starts, advanced movement vs classic, all that has been argued back and forth for the last three years. Eventually they came to what we know now, but didn't spend enough time fully developing the rest of the game. They were going to launch the game with very little content again, until the Campaign demo reveal backlash. The rumor of them making the game into two parts was untrue when it was given, but is now a reality; they never intended Multiplayer to be free.

The Commando Rifle was one of the utility weapon tests. The Mangler was going to be a near copycat of the CE Magnum. There was at one time a wall kick. Mythic unintentionally copied what 343 had tried nearly a year earlier. No idea where Forge's state is.

There you go.

My expectations somehow went down, which was already below zero after the reveal. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

The HCS test Playlist back in 2017, which had a tweaked BR and Gunfighter, was actually a testing bed for Infinite's starting weapons at the time. They were going to have Infinite be another Halo 5, save for the removal of Spartan Charge and Ground Pound. Needless to say, we know now that Infinite has Sprint, Slide, and Clamber, with Armor Augments (Armor Abilities with limited fuel) as pickups alongside Power-Ups and Power Weapons.

Rofl, this is so 343. That playlist was hot garbage and they permanently turned the BR and the gunfighter into piece of shit weapons just for that test. Also I 100% be343ve they wasted 3+ years on UE4 and then turned around to deliver yet another barebones game that only sells because it has Halo in the title. Wow. Thanks for the intel drop, it confirms everything I already suspected and in hindsight makes all the "DAE MYTHIC IS A TESTING BED FOUR INFININITEEE??" idiots look smart, it's pure comedy gold.

• Toxic (+1) 3

Not the biggest fan of @Moses_FPS but holy shit the spergout that people are having on Twitter at him is comedy gold

*Jokingly points out the poor timing of a nameplate and indirectly get it removed from the game*

*50 incoming mouth frothing comments on how 343 are biased on who they listen to and how moses is le sjw snowflake feminazi*

It's not like the guy has any control over 343i either, he just made fun of the timing of a police nameplate and 343 removed it. Whether they should have is a different debate, but they probably would have even if it was some rando on reddit. 

Even if they did listen to Moses because of his status, it's not like they're gonna take sprint and armor abilities out of the game and give us a decent Halo game because he makes a joke tweet about it on Twitter. 

• Like (+1) 1

I just hope they don't go as far as removing props and story beats from ODST.

1 minute ago, TeeJaY said:

I just hope they don't go as far as removing props and story beats from ODST.

Editing the storyline of a game you didn’t develop would be in poor taste IMO.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Editing the storyline of a game you didn’t develop would be in poor taste IMO.  

Agreed. The nameplate makes sense since it's something they made.

26 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

Agreed. The nameplate makes sense since it's something they made.

I think the only issue anyone should have with it at the end of the day is that its a token gesture. They have far bigger problems to deal with on a community/platform level that actually do impact people when it comes to similar subjects but we're sitting here talking about nameplates instead because its easy. I don't even mean just 343 either I just mean the community as a whole including 343 really don't have the time for irrelevant stuff like this nameplate when confronted by the things people do and say on Xbox Live. 

I'll even give an obvious example. Remember how they released a chat option with no block, hide or report features where people can just say anything they think of (lmao who would ever do this anyways?) and to do something about it you have to go through a lengthy process on another website to report it? Yeah I'm sure nothing extremely offensive and bad for everyone involved has ever been said there. 343 has things to do that matter lol. They've currently got stewardship of a community that says a whole lot of edgy, racist or sexist things like most other places on the internet so I'm sure there are a lot of little places where they can begin to unravel a lot of that and turn it into something that isn't just normal and accepted within their games

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I obviously don't blame Moses because it was going to be pointed out in one way or another, but holy fuck is that REALLY what they're concerned with at the moment? 

Is it an easy fix?  I'm sure it was (considering it was handled in less than a week).  It's just incredibly infuriating that as a result of a single tweet it was seen, and responded to in under two hours by Ske7ch when it takes fucking months or YEARS for major things to get addressed when a ton of of the community is asking about it. 

Obviously a major update would take longer to handle because of the channels it would have to go through, but it would still be nice to get a "Yea, we know.  Just hang tight while we hash it out internally" once in a while.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Two years.

I'd love to see how much of that 500 million budget was wasted on these two years. They could've easily fixed MCC and  made a faithful H3A with that time and money .

13 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I think the only issue anyone should have with it at the end of the day is that its a token gesture. They have far bigger problems to deal with on a community/platform level that actually do impact people when it comes to similar subjects but we're sitting here talking about nameplates instead because its easy. I don't even mean just 343 either I just mean the community as a whole including 343 really don't have the time for irrelevant stuff like this nameplate when confronted by the things people do and say on Xbox Live. 

I'll even give an obvious example. Remember how they released a chat option with no block, hide or report features where people can just say anything they think of (lmao who would ever do this anyways?) and to do something about it you have to go through a lengthy process on another website to report it? Yeah I'm sure nothing extremely offensive and bad for everyone involved has ever been said there. 343 has things to do that matter lol. They've currently got stewardship of a community that says a whole lot of edgy, racist or sexist things like most other places on the internet so I'm sure there are a lot of little places where they can begin to unravel a lot of that and turn it into something that isn't just normal and accepted within their games

It's just a typical corporate move to go for the token gesture instead of fixing the actual issue. How many huge companies change their logo to a rainbow for pride month or posted an empty black picture for BLM but still have rampant sexism, racism and homophobia going on? In their eyes it's always easier to go for the path of least resistance even if it hurts them in the long run. Especially 343 seems to be incredibly out of touch. Remember when they announced country flags skins for h5 but then decided to shelf them because "we're in difficult times?". Or when they added the Emile poster to Steam for black history month, even though maybe 1% of the community even knew the dude was black and most people just laughed at how out of touch 343. This cop light nameplate thing is just a continuation of the #fellowkids story. I can kind of appreciate the message, but as you said they refuse to see the massive elephant(s) in the room. Halo has always had a ton of toxicity online and giving players unrestricted text chat with no report, mute or block function and leave it like that for almost a year by now is just comically naive.

The way I see it, Moses pointing it out potentially would've caused unnecessary publicity issues for 343, so they removed it. 

46 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

Things are heating up. 

Now things are getting a little spicy.

• Like (+1) 1

God can you guys imagine what a great story it would have been to have a Flamesword-Neighbor rivalry going into infinite? Of course that would have been more realistic when the game was releasing in a couple of months, not so much when it’s probably a year away and I don’t think anyone will even be thinking about Halo besides us by then :D

Edit: reminds me of the whole Spartan-RyaNoob beef. God that was such a spicy event, especially with Ryanoob getting the game 5 win then going on to beat Snipedown’s squad as well (even though I was rooting for them :D)

Sucks the best player entertainment in Halo is beef. Be nice if we had some entertaining personalities for once.

24 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Sucks the best player entertainment in Halo is beef. Be nice if we had some entertaining personalities for once.

I mean, that's basically what made competitive CoD as big as it is now.  Maven was spot on when he said they're the WWE of esports.  No shade, it's just what it is. 

Halo could stand to loosen up from the buttoned down era we're in now.  Even back in Halo's heyday, you still had guys like Gandhi & T2 going at it to liven things up.  The Snip3down/Lxthul beef at the start of H5 made Xgames super hype to watch.  Individual personalities are great, but a good rivalry every now and again pumps a lot of life into the scene. 

• Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

Halo could stand to loosen up from the buttoned down era we're in now.

You mean since 343 took over?  I can’t picture Snickerdoodle hyping up a conflict between players, however put on it may be.  

3 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

I mean, that's basically what made competitive CoD as big as it is now.  Maven was spot on when he said they're the WWE of esports.  No shade, it's just what it is. 

Halo could stand to loosen up from the buttoned down era we're in now.  Even back in Halo's heyday, you still had guys like Gandhi & T2 going at it to liven things up.  The Snip3down/Lxthul beef at the start of H5 made Xgames super hype to watch.  Individual personalities are great, but a good rivalry every now and again pumps a lot of life into the scene. 

I love the beef because of the lack of personality but honestly people like Scump got me into CoD because he's just a reasonably funny dude and his passion is so palpable. His livecomms were always enjoyable and I don't even like CoD that much.