CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

On 6/3/2020 at 12:01 PM, Knighty Knight said:

The longer range and faster speed on projectiles is huge too

they have the "password" to the dedi to change the map. That also controls the speed. They just set it do default 99% of the time nowadays and obv would for the tournament. Tho h2v has better registration, spawns, and button combos... that's the point. 

• Like (+1) 1

So it looks like this week they did a single elim bracket for the open tournament, but without any seeding. So two of the top teams from last week (Lux and Queen's team) matched up the first round. Like, didn't even get byes, straight up matched in the first round. On the one hand everything seems to be running much better than last open tournament, on the other it still doesn't feel like too much to ask FaceIt to give us a slightly better system. Things are moving fast, doesn't seem to be a reason to not run double elim.

EDIT: Apparently it was seeded, it justed used FaceIt's busted ELO system when generating brackets.

• Like (+1) 1

Confusion situation happening with how HCS is handling team changes for this weekend's pro tournament that seems to be screwing over armature (AM) teams:

Fantasy, on pro seeded team Having Zero Fun, is retiring from H2A competitions, leaving the rest of the pro roster in need of a fourth for this weekend's Pro tournament. On top of this, AM team Falling eSports just qualified for this weekend's Pro tournament, but Neighbor is retiring from H2A competition.

But, while we have two teams looking for a fourth, the ruling from HCS is that only pro teams can make a roster change between pro tournaments; AM teams that qualify for a Pro tournament are expected to keep that same roster for the Pro tournament. To account for the possibility that a qualified AM team has a player unable to make it for the Pro tournament, AM teams are allowed to have a sub, but only if the sub did not compete in the most recent qualifier tournament.

What I'm still trying to figure out is if Pro team Having Zero Fun is allowed to pick up a player off of one of the AM teams that qualified for this weekend's Pro tournament. If so, and if exercised, that would mean there would be two qualified AM teams that have to fill their rosters with players that did not compete in the last open tournament, or Falling Esports has only two players for their team heading into this weekend.

But whether Pro teams can pick up a player off a qualified AM team or not though, it does seem that Pro teams are given a big advantage over AM teams by being able to pick up active AM players who just competed while AM teams need to fill their rosters with players who weren't even trying to qualify for the Pro tournament.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Noodle said:

Confusion situation happening with how HCS is handling team changes for this weekend's pro tournament that seems to be screwing over armature (AM) teams:

Fantasy, on pro seeded team Having Zero Fun, is retiring from H2A competitions, leaving the rest of the pro roster in need of a fourth for this weekend's Pro tournament. On top of this, AM team Falling eSports just qualified for this weekend's Pro tournament, but Neighbor is retiring from H2A competition.

But, while we have two teams looking for a fourth, the ruling from HCS is that only pro teams can make a roster change between pro tournaments; AM teams that qualify for a Pro tournament are expected to keep that same roster for the Pro tournament. To account for the possibility that a qualified AM team has a player unable to make it for the Pro tournament, AM teams are allowed to have a sub, but only if the sub did not compete in the most recent qualifier tournament.

What I'm still trying to figure out is if Pro team Having Zero Fun is allowed to pick up a player off of one of the AM teams that qualified for this weekend's Pro tournament. If so, and if exercised, that would mean there would be two qualified AM teams that have to fill their rosters with players that did not compete in the last open tournament, or Falling Esports has only two players for their team heading into this weekend.

But whether Pro teams can pick up a player off a qualified AM team or not though, it does seem that Pro teams are given a big advantage over AM teams by being able to pick up active AM players who just competed while AM teams need to fill their rosters with players who weren't even trying to qualify for the Pro tournament.

i'll never get why a rulebook wasnt created and made public

• Like (+1) 5

I know we're a little past H3, but having the Reach forge options really opens up the editor to create cool/unique maps in a reasonable time-frame.  If there ever is another H3 tournament they could get some cool new things in the mix.  Looking forward to the wonky custom games that will come out of this.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2

10 hours ago, OG Nick said:

Did cratos steal a seed yet or nah?

His team, Lux, won the open qualifier for this weekend's Pro tournament. At one point, against Stainers, something like a 27-45 comeback on Shrine TS. You can imagine the kind of open mic talk there was after that that got Cratos booted from the party. After all the trash talk this past weekend I'm excited to see what group they get placed in.

ArieS explains what's going on with the HCS team change situation. I didn't realize that Hysteria was also retiring from H2A, it sucks that Sabinater and ArieS both aren't allowed to compete this weekend (unless they get picked up by a Pro team) because their teammates retired and the rules don't let them join an AM team on account of the fact that they played in the qualifier.

Like, I could see an argument for why the rules are set up the way they are, but we really need an explanation from Tashi or Wonderboy for why that is, especially when there's no rulebook and things are seemingly made up on the spot (and with conflicting information between HCS and FaceIt).

• Like (+1) 3

HavingZeroFun (RealisedG, sSorrell, Rammy, Triton) just quit their series against Falling Esports even though they still had a chance to win the series 3-1 and qualify for playoffs over Falling and Goobers. That would have forced a three-way tie for second between HZF, Falling, and Goobers, with the first tiebreaker (head to head to between tied teams) all a draw at 1-1 and the second tiebreaker (game win percentage between tied teams) all a draw at 75%. Final tie breaker is seed, so HZF would have gone through as the higher seed, but I guess they were too tilted to try.

That said, this highlights the fact that seeding is used as a final tiebreaker, which is bullshit. AM teams can do as well as pro teams but get the shaft just because they're not already pros. They need to switch from round robin groups to double elim groups or do a three/four round Swiss format or something else that avoids dumb tiebreaker rules to save time or all these teams quitting instead of playing out their matches (like Stainers quitting the tournament after a single match).

EDIT: Also hard for both players and fans to keep track of game win percentage when FaceIt dosen't have reporting for series score, just match win/loss.

2 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

I've been holding off on posting any sort of summary on this because Eco was on a call with Sentinels to explain the DQ and he seemed to convince them that Cratos' account of things is missing/confusing some details and I didn't want to summarize without a better understanding of what Eco said.

EDIT: It seems everything is not as one-sided as Cratos and Lux are making it out to be.

b11235d54a7b0d57156bdc63301c5363.png

• Toxic (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Commander Eagle said:

Can someone fill me in on who won today? Had to drive all day so couldn’t watch...

Sentinals beat Pryde 3-1 after Pryde won the first game in finals, same as last week. Pryde showed life early in the series before Sentinals really took control and didn't look back. Inconceivable looked pretty good (forced a game five with Pryde) and Turning Point played well today in spite of having Swift Kill as a last minute sub due to Renegade's internet issues. 

• Like (+1) 1

Snip3down streaming Halo right now, here is the Nightbot response to the !future command in his chat:

My main focus is on Apex, I will be playing halo around once a week. I will not know my future for infinite until I play the game.

Smart on him to not overcommit before seeing if 343 drops the ball on the game... I have to say it would be incredibly disappointing to lose a legend like Snip3down from the scene if the game isn’t up to par.

• Like (+1) 7

12 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

Teasing is a healthy part of any relationship.

i really hope they announce a beta at the gameplay reveal in july

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

On 6/22/2020 at 11:44 PM, Commander Eagle said:

Snip3down streaming Halo right now, here is the Nightbot response to the !future command in his chat:"My main focus is on Apex, I will be playing halo around once a week. I will not know my future for infinite until I play the game." I have to say it would be incredibly disappointing to lose a legend like Snip3down from the scene if the game isn’t up to par.

I wouldn't be worried about Snipedown. He played Halo 4 and in 24 hours he said it was the best Halo he's ever played.

PS. There better be a beta! 

• Like (+1) 1