CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

343 should've used the H2-PC flights to test maps that they could be added into Hardcore, that way the new maps would be there day 1 of release and they'd have had feedback about which maps should/shouldn't be used or improved.  Even if the H2A tournaments aren't going to last long, I'd imagine the H2A Hardcore playlist will stick around for people to play and having more variety would help the longevity of it.  

• Like (+1) 2

Joe Fries on The Eavesdrop, Halo talk around the 29:00 mark. Totz, TLN and hopes for infinite are the main topics 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

Place is dead! 

We had H2A scrims tonight with an interesting Midship forge map. 

Tox vs Saiyan, Ryanoob, King Nick, Rayne. 

Ryanoob won 7-4 I think 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunRanger said:

Ive been gone for so long. When is this tourney supposedly?

May 23rd is the first open and invitational. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Saiyan playing on 8 sens looks like he is on mouse and keyboard. He also went 37-19 on Sanc slayer one game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

ICYMI, the GTHalo Schoolyard event stream is going on right now!  I'll be on in ~25-30 to cast for a bit. 

• Fire (+1) 1

On 5/14/2020 at 11:11 PM, Noodle said:

I can't find more info myself, although I've been trying to figure it out because less than a week before it all went down I was DM'ing the owner in hopes of joining them as a writer. This is all that I've been able to gather and my take, hope someone else can fill in the details:

My interaction with KX2 was pretty brief on Twitter, I was given his name and Twitter handle when I was asking around about if Mantra would want to pick up a writer after I noticed that they had a blog section on their website that was empty. I was told someone would mention me to him but I never heard back, so I tweeted at him a month later asking if he would be interested in a writer. I addressed him formally in the tweet, using the provided surname, and he responded politely in a DM asking me to delete "the article I wrote" (it was just a short tweet) saying that the name I used wasn't his name. The proceeding conversation was polite and nothing noteworthy, but I did find it weird that someone in his org would have given me the wrong name and I would have to delete the tweet and that the org had deleted a contest tweet previously, so I didn't really push on trying to schedule a time to talk.

Still don't know what's up with Mantra, but apparently they still exist with enough organizational structure where people can announce leaving it.

• Thonking (+0) 1

On 5/18/2020 at 7:11 PM, Noodle said:

Still don't know what's up with Mantra, but apparently they still exist with enough organizational structure where people can announce leaving it.

can we get an :omegalul: emote please? @admins 

• Simms (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheSimms said:

Some more variety in emotes would be much appreciated. 

17 hours ago, TheSimms said:

may i suggest

y3BS5u6.png

or

v0gZ221.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

If halo infinite is hitscan I think instant strafe accel like overwatch or apex is in order 

• Like (+1) 1

Hi, all!

I've been playing singleplayer games (DQ11 is the bee's knees), had another kid (that's three since I joined in 2012), and I'm officially two years into my degree since last I posted.

I hope you all are just as salty as you always have been. You're my favorite Halo community and always will be, you CRT-lugging, anti-sprint troglodytes, you.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 4

On 5/19/2020 at 3:11 AM, Noodle said:

I think we could all see the writing on the walls, but it's discouraging seeing how enthusiastic some of the old names and content creators had been about the start of this org. I'm hoping they all band together and start their own thing--there is definitely a place and market for what they were trying to start.

• Like (+1) 3

Did a team actually FF Status Quo for ending a CTF at the 15 minute mark when they were winning? 

*Edit* wasn’t SQ, but still shitty to happen. 

Very happy to see a Halo tournament use Swiss, but today's use was not a good implementation. The standings on the website suggested that some teams were eliminated after only two rounds, which is too soon to rules teams out:if two really good teams happened to match other good teams in the first round and then matched each other in the second round you end up with a good team eliminated even though they might be a top eight team. This can happen in double elim as well, but the point of running Swiss instead of a bracket is to avoid these problems and settle on the standings with a good set of data.

Scheduling five rounds for 117 registered teams is not enough if you have to whittle down to top eight, as seen by the fact that there are 18 teams tied for fifth place at the end of what was supposed to be a one day tournament. Plans are being worked out to play more matches on Sunday to settle this, but it sounds like they are trying to switch to a different system rather than extend the number of Swiss rounds. And since the qualifier needs to not just determine a top 8 but have the teams seeded and ranked 1-3 for the prize money payout, running pure Swiss was obviously not going to work unless you have two full days for it. (As an aside, shoutouts to the EU players who stayed up past 6am CET to play out their matches)

Ultimately, unless more time is allocated to allow for more rounds, the Swiss system just functions as a double elim bracket anyways since you pretty much can't make the top cut if you lose two games. I hope this whacky use of Swiss today doesn't tarnish the view of the format in the eyes of the competitive Halo community that's not used to it, it really is a great format if properly implemented.

TL;DR: By running a qualifier with not enough Swiss rounds, Faceit effectively made the qualifier a double elim tournament but without the simplicity of a bracket.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Can someone please quote/mention me and tell me the results from yesterday? Google was worthless for me just now.