CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

3 maps are gonna get old really quick. Especially with the lockout icebergs falling from the sky. :lxthul:

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Frosty said:

3 maps are gonna get old really quick. Especially with the lockout icebergs falling from the sky. :lxthul:

Solid forge options and removal of environmental deaths is essential. 

3 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

Solid forge options 

STATIC

WEAPON

TIMERS

But they won't do it. Nor will they add a map. Oracle (H2A's "Onyx" from H4) is sitting right there in matchmaking, ready to be used for like 4 different gametypes.  They won't. Watch.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

And remove nade hit markers.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

STATIC

WEAPON

TIMERS

But they won't do it. Nor will they add a map. Oracle (H2A's "Onyx" from H4) is sitting right there in matchmaking, ready to be used for like 4 different gametypes.  They won't. Watch.

Everyone just spam Tashi's Twitter. :kappa:

Its honestly fine this is just low effort content to try and put up something before infinite. I wouldn't expect anything spectacular from a 3 map game. Can watch some games or maybe play a little and move on to other things while we wait for the game they'll actually care about. No reason to try and care more than they do

• Fire (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Hard Way said:

STATIC

WEAPON

TIMERS

Then it wouldn't be Halo 2. I agree Halo should've stayed static throughout every title but at this point it would change too much about the way the game is played

• Thonking (+0) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 3

Goofy, Gilkey, Aries, and Munoz are running games now so that's another potential team (I'm not sure if it's official or not, I just saw that Saiyan's team matched them).

On 5/13/2020 at 6:43 PM, Knighty Knight said:

THIS.  I have no idea why they're so afraid of using forge maps in competitive.  FFS it's been a thing since H3, and Reach was pretty much ALL forge maps.  Surely there's an awesome midship remake out there, or a couple of great original ones that can be used to spice things up.  

• Like (+1) 4

Even if the forge maps arent perfect I would rather play on them than lockout koth ever again

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Even if the forge maps arent perfect I would rather play on them than lockout koth ever again

Why don't you like Lockout KotH?

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Why don't you like Lockout KotH?

Agree, I think all the H2A gametypes are actually good, the problem is it just isn’t great entertainment to watch the same 3 maps over and over.

• Like (+1) 2

Can someone catch me up on what’s going on with Mantra Esports? 

1 hour ago, Joseph said:

Can someone catch me up on what’s going on with Mantra Esports? 

I can't find more info myself, although I've been trying to figure it out because less than a week before it all went down I was DM'ing the owner in hopes of joining them as a writer. This is all that I've been able to gather and my take, hope someone else can fill in the details:

My interaction with KX2 was pretty brief on Twitter, I was given his name and Twitter handle when I was asking around about if Mantra would want to pick up a writer after I noticed that they had a blog section on their website that was empty. I was told someone would mention me to him but I never heard back, so I tweeted at him a month later asking if he would be interested in a writer. I addressed him formally in the tweet, using the provided surname, and he responded politely in a DM asking me to delete "the article I wrote" (it was just a short tweet) saying that the name I used wasn't his name. The proceeding conversation was polite and nothing noteworthy, but I did find it weird that someone in his org would have given me the wrong name and I would have to delete the tweet and that the org had deleted a contest tweet previously, so I didn't really push on trying to schedule a time to talk.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

35 minutes ago, Noodle said:

I can't find more info myself, although I've been trying to figure it out because less than a week before it all went down I was DM'ing the owner in hopes of joining them as a writer. This is all that I've been able to gather and my take, hope someone else can fill in the details:

My interaction with KX2 was pretty brief on Twitter, I was given his name and Twitter handle when I was asking around about if Mantra would want to pick up a writer after I noticed that they had a blog section on their website that was empty. I was told someone would mention me to him but I never heard back, so I tweeted at him a month later asking if he would be interested in a writer. I addressed him formally in the tweet, using the provided surname, and he responded politely in a DM asking me to delete "the article I wrote" (it was just a short tweet) saying that the name I used wasn't his name. The proceeding conversation was polite and nothing noteworthy, but I did find it weird that someone in his org would have given me the wrong name and I would have to delete the tweet and that the org had deleted a contest tweet previously, so I didn't really push on trying to schedule a time to talk.

Also to add on their Twitter giveaways as well. I believe the 1st giveaway they did a "Like, comment, retweet this tweet" situation but had made multiple tweets of it and nobody knew which one to do, I believe the winner was picked by one of their tweets in the middle of it all not even the original Tweet. Then comes the $500 giveaway to multiple people if their team won DH and after the team won they deleted that tweet  and is unknown who or if they really paid anyone. If i remember right MosesFPS had won without even entering (he did reject the money and asked the org to pick someone who entered) but no one really knows if they actually followed through with their giveaways. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 5/13/2020 at 7:24 PM, Hard Way said:

STATIC

WEAPON

TIMERS

If we're doing static weapon timers then we're getting a god damn powerup on Lockout.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Noodle said:

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 5

Sounds like more waste of space orgs/owners trying to snake their way into Halo by lying about pretty much everything. It'll probably never stop until there's some kind of real players association and becoming an org requires proof of intentions, funds and legal contracts for everyone involved

Not that anyone thought they would, but looks like 343 isn't considering Midship, Simplex, or any of the other forge maps for tournament play and are content with the three maps we have.

• WutFace (+0) 2

1 hour ago, Noodle said:

Not that anyone thought they would, but looks like 343 isn't considering Midship, Simplex, or any of the other forge maps for tournament play and are content with the three maps we have.

I don't get it. How hard is it to add a map that's already fucking made, and IN MATCHMAKING?  Who would be mad about them adding Oracle? Point me towards this person.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Noodle said:

Yes there was already a year of only three maps that is exactly the problem. People are already sick of those maps. Also I'm so tired of Halo devs using "the next gaem is right around the corner ;)))" as a cop-out. It's been going on ever since they refused to add ranks to Reach MLG in 2011 and needs to stop already.

• Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, FeaR said:

MCC Pro Series Halo 4 SOON?1!!!?

I wouldn't mind to load up on some Station 9 Extraction again :kappa:

Give me extraction or give me death. One of my favorite game types in all of gaming. The absolute highlight of H4

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

Sounds like more waste of space orgs/owners trying to snake their way into Halo by lying about pretty much everything. It'll probably never stop until there's some kind of real players association and becoming an org requires proof of intentions, funds and legal contracts for everyone involved

Out of all things Halo Esports related, I would say that this has been the most consistent theme from a community level. It is interesting to see pro players and community members blindly co-sign an "organization" with 0 track record - and then act shocked when it is apparent the organization cant handle even the most basic business functions (i.e. doing what you say you are going to do). Not to mention that operating an esports team in particular is (imo) one of the hardest routes to take in esports - where even the most well oiled start-up teams have a hard time staying above water financially.  

Not sure if a players association would solve that, definitely wouldn't hurt. Ultimately, giving people coming into the space talking a big game/waving around cash a harder analysis / required speculation should be a default. I think it is worth thinking through who you are associating your name with, but it doesn't seem many people are thinking along those lines when big promises are made.

Same old story.