CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

On 3/22/2020 at 1:31 AM, The Tyco said:

And get enough comm bans, they'll permanently ban your account.

Devs appealing to "Woke" culture. Can't even call someone a he or she without someone being offended over it. Devs these days are super hypocritical, though; "Buy our new emote of you ripping off your opponents head and shitting down its throat, on sale now! But remember, calling someone a mean word or being micro aggressive towards others is a permanently bannable offense. Have fun!"

You'll find if you just aren't a dick to people, you don't have to worry about whether you're being politically correct or not. Pretty simple really.

Big picture though, I've been playing games a long time and I'm not nostalgic at all for the comms and general environment of the 90s and early 00s. The gaming world is getting bigger and more diverse every day, I think we should appreciate that and maybe focus on the huge benefits that brings all of us rather than the terrible fact that you should be thoughtful about how you treat other gamers. It's definitely not "the devs" who are going soft.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Salt (-1) 1

6 minutes ago, Trajan said:

The gaming world is getting bigger and more diverse every day, I think we should appreciate that and maybe focus on the huge benefits that brings all of us

Like more Christmas noobs?  

On 3/23/2020 at 8:11 AM, Wonderboy said:

TOs still don't invest in crowd mics despite the audience being the best asset that a live event broadcast has.

This is soooooooooooooo stupid.

Rode NT5 matched pair of cardioid pencil condensers = 500 measly fucking dollars = CROWD NOISE

• Like (+1) 3

If the game was managed appropriately from the settings to the venues and broadcasts H5 would've been better. If more care was placed in ensuring that inputs felt responsive and familiar H5 would've been better. If both of those things were true then Halo 5 could've been great. A big lesson there for future developers, managers and TOs. You can't half ass anything if you want things to really go well. It doesn't matter how many people want Halo to succeed if we aren't putting our best foot forward from the top to the bottom

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NavG123 said:

It always stuns me when people think they'll get muted or banned for "politically incorrect" banter like they just casually let racial slurs slip while running games and think it's normal and everyone does it.

I always find there's a large overlap between "political incorrectness" and people who will straight up ruin games because they're not playing well, getting frustrated, and feel the need to take it out on their teammates. No one is going to convince me that they like to let the occasional slur slip, but don't worry, because they're totally not a toxic player and shouldn't be banned.

These last couple years I've began to mute anyone that starts blaming and insulting teammates immediately, and I highly recommend anyone who likes to have fun while playing video games do the same thing. Truth be told, I have no problem with toxic players being muted or outright banned. Some people aren't entirely mentally equipped to lose/struggle and keep their composure, in which case maybe they should find another hobby or work on their attitude.

Call me soft, but I'd venture a guess that many of the players scared of getting banned for "political incorrectness" are the type that can't handle not being at the top of the scoreboard.

Cheers, I completely agree. And as a long-time competitive gamer, I think muting toxic players is much preferable to just shutting off all voice comms (which used to be my response).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 4

I don’t think people should be banned for “regular” trash talk, I think the mute and ignore functions are adequate for these people, who are certainly annoying but in my opinion not deserving of a ban. However, any racist/sexist/“edgy” shit deserves an immediate ban.

An example of acceptable trash talk to me is the whole Ryanoob/Spartan thing. They would obviously shit talk each other and say the other one was bad but they never said anything inappropriate or offensive. That’s the kind of trash talk which I think can in some cases actually add value to the scene in spicing up storylines.

Unfortunately, that’s not the type of trash talk you often hear online, instead you hear 14 year olds yelling slurs because they think it makes them cool.

• Thonking (+0) 1

11 hours ago, NavG123 said:

It always stuns me when people think they'll get muted or banned for "politically incorrect" banter like they just casually let racial slurs slip while running games and think it's normal and everyone does it.

I always find there's a large overlap between "political incorrectness" and people who will straight up ruin games because they're not playing well, getting frustrated, and feel the need to take it out on their teammates. No one is going to convince me that they like to let the occasional slur slip, but don't worry, because they're totally not a toxic player and shouldn't be banned.

These last couple years I've began to mute anyone that starts blaming and insulting teammates immediately, and I highly recommend anyone who likes to have fun while playing video games do the same thing. Truth be told, I have no problem with toxic players being muted or outright banned. Some people aren't entirely mentally equipped to lose/struggle and keep their composure, in which case maybe they should find another hobby or work on their attitude.

Call me soft, but I'd venture a guess that many of the players scared of getting banned for "political incorrectness" are the type that can't handle not being at the top of the scoreboard.

100% this. Toxic players calling everyone retarded pieces of shit when they're -11 in team slayer are the soft ones. 

I used to play League of Legends a lot back on 2012/13 and I hated the game. I've always hated it but it was the only thing my friends played. 

I used to get irrationally angry at how toxic players were being in chat. You'd make one mistake (or 10 because I sucked) and then all of a sudden you get a chat full of people calling you all kinds of colourful things in addition to being told how bad you are by the opponents.

One day a friend said "you can mute individual players you know?" He showed me how. He then said "if you can't hack it lol".

But it changed everything. I didn't mind if someone said "you should have warded Dragon dickhead." That's fine by me, it's just a touch of frustration. But an endless tirade of racism, sexism and calling me a retard etc. I just muted them. It was wonderful and I started enjoying the game somewhat because there wasn't this cesspool of negativity over every action anyone did.

The people who get the most upset about "PCness" are the ones the easiest to trigger. One mistake and they blame everyone and everything but themselves for hours like it just ruined their entire life. Their only power is to take your enjoyment away and make you as miserable as them.

I would know, I used to be one of them. I used to be miserable, chronically depressed and try my hardest to make others as sad and angry as me if I was losing (which was all the time). 

Now I see a toxic players, I just mute. I don't think anything further of it. I don't get upset or mad, I just think "Righto mate." And hit mute. I can't help with your misery but I don't need you to drag me down like to your level like I used to do. Doesn't help anyone.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I just removed the chat bar from Overwatch (CTRL+Shift+C or type /hidechat) while I played it and have it removed from Destiny 2. Its rare that people will actually jump on the mic to drop a derogatory slur these days and if you're willing to go through that much effort it deserved the report.

Someone told me they reported me for saying "you're fucking TRASH" after I clutched a 2v1 situation in doubles. My qualm isn't with the people who complain about racism, sexism, or extreme berating. It's just that in a competitive nature, sometimes that heat of the moment stuff comes out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Supposed leaks about Infinite, I wouldn't put stock into it but figured I could share

He's got 2 more about the campaign as well.  
No mention of thrust, alongside this the grapple hook was supposedly a dropped concept for H5 that was spotted in that We Are 343 video.  Looks like easy bait to me.  I guess we'll see.

• Thonking (+0) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 2

23 hours ago, Morachip said:

Supposed leaks about Infinite, I wouldn't put stock into it but figured I could share

No mention of thrust, alongside this the grapple hook was supposedly a dropped concept for H5 that was spotted in that We Are 343 video.  Looks like easy bait to me.  I guess we'll see.

thanks, i hate it

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/29/2020 at 9:41 AM, Morachip said:

On the surface, it doesn't bother me all that much.  Definitely scared of how the grapple hook would work (and whether we'd be stuck with it in competitive regardless), but I've never had all that much of a problem with sprint, and clamber is just a non-issue period. 

• Thonking (+0) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 2
  • Salt (-1) 1

6 hours ago, Craneteam said:

thanks, i hate it

Honestly this (the tweet not your post) looks like bait. Even for 343 standards it's complete dogshit.

I agree the tweet looks like bullshit. Also no mention of thrust. Its just bullshit made on top of the grappling hook leaked screenshot

I hope it's not a reliable source  - I want class based gameplay and an added thrust like Doom: Eternals dash. Also would like to see sprint a lot faster. Definitely don't want to see ground pound removed. 

• Toxic (+1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 3

23 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

I hope it's not a reliable source  - I'm really hoping for class based gameplay and maybe an added thrust like Doom: Eternals dash. Also would like to see sprint a lot faster. Definitely don't want to see ground pound removed. 

source.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 3

Still a couple more days to sign up for this if you're interested.  I'll be casting alongside some other faces you'll recognize.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

On 3/29/2020 at 12:24 PM, Exidrion said:

Someone told me they reported me for saying "you're fucking TRASH" after I clutched a 2v1 situation in doubles. My qualm isn't with the people who complain about racism, sexism, or extreme berating. It's just that in a competitive nature, sometimes that heat of the moment stuff comes out.

Yeah I don't really have an issue with this. It's when it's a not-stop tirade that it becomes a problem. If I Fumbleayame the flag off when we're down 1 cap I can understand getting some heat from my team mates.

But getting a Yoink! medal probably doesn't require an 8 minute explanation of all the sex someone has with my mom.

• Like (+1) 1