CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, MrTummyTumms said:

Being stuck at home wasn't so bad until Xbox Live went down.

This year, there will be people turning 18 who have never lived in a world without Xbox live.  

• Simms (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

I've been wanting a MCC multi-game event for a wihle and I still think it would be a shame if Microsoft didn't do some sort of invitational MCC Pentathlon (I'd prefer an open event with a cap on team signups to make it managable, but that might be asking for too much). Five single elim brackets, each game has its own tournament. You earn points based on placings in each tournament (like the track and field pnthathlon) and have a prize for each game's tournament with a larger prize and event title for the team with the most points accross all five games. The ship has sailed for them to use it as marketing for MCC, but it could be a nice leadup to Infinite.

A boy can (still) dream.

• Like (+1) 5

10 hours ago, Noodle said:

I've been wanting a MCC multi-game event for a wihle and I still think it would be a shame if Microsoft didn't do some sort of invitational MCC Pentathlon (I'd prefer an open event with a cap on team signups to make it managable, but that might be asking for too much). Five single elim brackets, each game has its own tournament. You earn points based on placings in each tournament (like the track and field pnthathlon) and have a prize for each game's tournament with a larger prize and event title for the team with the most points accross all five games. The ship has sailed for them to use it as marketing for MCC, but it could be a nice leadup to Infinite.

A boy can (still) dream.

This sounds like an admin and scheduling nightmare

I love it

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I've come up with a multi-game tournament idea where it uses the three games from the original trilogy, and every series has at least one map from each of the games.  Still trying to flesh out how to make it work full but the base it there. 

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

This sounds like an admin and scheduling nightmare

I love it

is there any hope for some more let's play for us to enjoy while on lockdown?

No more exclusive/invite only events, LANs, nor tournaments please for the love of God!  Nothing kills hype and community interest more than hearing that shit.  We already know the format doesnt work for Halo esports.  If people arent allowed to participate, then they arent going to spectate.

• WutFace (+0) 1

6 hours ago, Craneteam said:

is there any hope for some more let's play for us to enjoy while on lockdown?

In truth, probably unlikely as I'll be fairly busy with UEFA commitments; their qualifying stage for the eEURO championships' broadcast is solely my responsibility (casting and production) which has been an awesome challenge but has taken up most of my spare time. I'll see if I can fit in recordings around it but no promises 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

In truth, probably unlikely as I'll be fairly busy with UEFA commitments; their qualifying stage for the eEURO championships' broadcast is solely my responsibility (casting and production) which has been an awesome challenge but has taken up most of my spare time. I'll see if I can fit in recordings around it but no promises 

is that on twitch? whats the link to the stream?

1 hour ago, Craneteam said:

is that on twitch? whats the link to the stream?

It's broadcast on Mondays to UEFA's official youtube page! Here's a link to the last matchday

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

It's broadcast on Mondays to UEFA's official youtube page! Here's a link to the last matchday

#ad

• Toxic (+1) 2

On 3/17/2020 at 1:12 PM, Squatting Bear said:

No more exclusive/invite only events, LANs, nor tournaments please for the love of God!  Nothing kills hype and community interest more than hearing that shit.  We already know the format doesnt work for Halo esports.  If people arent allowed to participate, then they arent going to spectate.

Strong disagree. Invitationals are a healthy way to keep pro storylines moving or buffer time during an off-season.

H5 (hopefully) taught 343 the importance of a global open circuit, but claiming invite-only doesn't work for Halo or is negative for viewership is just wrong. They are present in tons of other esports and sports and are usually received quite well.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

There is a Halo 2 PC Project Cartographer 4v4 tournament with at least a $1K prize pool available to join if anyone would like, I made a thread for it here:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 3

On 3/18/2020 at 4:54 PM, Infinity said:

Strong disagree. Invitationals are a healthy way to keep pro storylines moving or buffer time during an off-season.

SXSW and the H2A one BtH won were awesome. Not sure where it's seen as a bad thing. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 3/18/2020 at 4:54 PM, Infinity said:

H5 (hopefully) taught 343 the importance of a global open circuit, but claiming invite-only doesn't work for Halo or is negative for viewership is just wrong. They are present in tons of other esports and sports and are usually received quite well.

So...when has this actually happened?  Seriously...name me a single instance where this has been the case or this thinking has succeeded?  If you're talking exclusively H5, than you may have a leg to stand on here. Otherwise you're lying to yourself.  Invitationals have been a disaster for viewership numbers, engaging interest, and retaining players.  Literally everyone quit playing Halo after Twitch Rivals and HCS Throwdown.  Bit hey, let's continue to throw over $100,000 to people who dont give a shit about Halo!  Maybe they'll register on Team Beyond and post on the forums too!

2 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

SXSW and the H2A one BtH won were awesome. Not sure where it's seen as a bad thing. 

As a Halo 2 player I really hope I dont have to explain to you why both of these events are just a giant fkn slap in the face....

I just love watching a player like Lethul be forced to play Halo 2 and getting dumpstered on because he's never played the game.  Better yet, let's watch a bunch of legit level 1 Youtubers and Streamers play Big Team Battle!  Would honestly rather watch The Bad Guys play literally any group of 8 in Halo 3.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Salt (-1) 2

17 minutes ago, Squatting Bear said:

So...when has this actually happened?  Seriously...name me a single instance where this has been the case or this thinking has succeeded?  If you're talking exclusively H5, than you may have a leg to stand on here. Otherwise you're lying to yourself.  Invitationals have been a disaster for viewership numbers, engaging interest, and retaining players.  Literally everyone quit playing Halo after Twitch Rivals and HCS Throwdown.  Bit hey, let's continue to throw over $100,000 to people who dont give a shit about Halo!  Maybe they'll register on Team Beyond and post on the forums too!

It sounds like you are angry specifically at the recent programs activated by HCS Grassroots. These are Invitationals by definition but in reality are terrible representations of what we're actually discussing here. Halo alone has had plenty of successful and exciting invitationals.

• MCC Invitational
  • Halo 5 X Games
  • Pro League Invitational
  • Halo 3 SXSW Invitational
  • & more

If you want to be angry at thousands of dollars being thrown at BTB and Super Fiesta for a dead game, please do so. I hate that also. But attributing some shoddy Halo: Reach events to the entirety of the Invitational format is just bad recency bias.

These were also online and influencer focused. An in-person event will cost exponentially more, and an open online event will perform even worse in terms of viewership.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Squatting Bear said:

As a Halo 2 player I really hope I dont have to explain to you why both of these events are just a giant fkn slap in the face...

A. I'm a Halo player. 

B. I enjoyed them immensely.  

C. Explain how SXSW, Pro League, and X Games were a slap in the face. 

9 hours ago, Squatting Bear said:

Viewership has been a disaster for Halo full stop. Invitationals work if you do them right and strike while the iron is hot. They're cheaper, easier to run and reach a wider demographic. The fact that Halo hasn't been in a position to make them work doesn't devalue what they can bring in terms of exposure. Guess below which is the ONLINE INVITATIONAL FUNMODE STREAMER EXPERIENCE vs the super serious competitive LAN league.

cod-green.png

• Like (+1) 2

CoD is actually popular with streamers though and I guess they actually invited CoD streamers that are also good at the game.

Imagine if the top Halo talent gave a shit about building an audience.

• Like (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Imagine if the top Halo talent gave a shit about building an audience.

i feelike we've been complaining about this since the end of h3. and then when someone did try to stream and build consistent content, all the other pros scoffed at it. now ninja has 0 interest in the game and is one of the faces of streaming. 

• Like (+1) 9

10 hours ago, Craneteam said:

All the other pros scoffed at it.

Bingo. Hard to give a shit when the top players mock it. 

• Like (+1) 2

It is kinda crazy how much Ninja was mocked back in the day. Ah well, jokes on them now.

Then again, click on one of his recent tweets and you'll beg for 2015 again after suffering through the replies.

• Like (+1) 2