CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

23 minutes ago, Humpflung said:

Competitive gamers are predominantly on PC. Esports are predominantly on PC. The casual market is on console. Tapping into the PC market is the only way Halo has a chance. That is an objective fact and m&k is the only way the game will be taken seriously

Has a chance at what exactly? Esports is big but gaming is even bigger. If they wanted to, and made the right moves, Halo could be successful with 100% no esports at all. Not that I want that to happen but lol man these last few pages make me want to ask

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

Has a chance at what exactly? Esports is big but gaming is even bigger. If they wanted to, and made the right moves, Halo could be successful with 100% no esports at all. Not that I want that to happen but lol man these last few pages make me want to ask

I'm talking comp scene though. That's why we're all here. Couldn't care less about everything else. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

So is comp Halo moving to PC next year or is 2020 the last year for comp Halo on console? Cause now that Halo's on PC I can't justify getting a new xbox just for Halo.

2 hours ago, Edain said:

So is comp Halo moving to PC next year or is 2020 the last year for comp Halo on console? Cause now that Halo's on PC I can't justify getting a new xbox just for Halo.

They're testing PC events for Reach and it's very likely that it'll switch over.  That being said, Infinite is gonna be on PC anyway. 

On 12/17/2019 at 6:19 AM, Humpflung said:

Competitive gamers are predominantly on PC. Esports are predominantly on PC. The casual market is on console. 

Not only are you wrong, but "Casual" is pretty redundant a term now. Gaming is so mainstream. Almost everyone I know games in some way. Whether it's mobile, Switch, PC or PS4/Xbox. Almost everyone games. My granny played a mobile game the other day. She's a gamer now and doesn't even know how to turn wifi off on her phone.

The term you're looking for is "tourist" gamers. They come in to a new experience, enjoy the highlights then move onto something new and exotic. "Casual" is a redundant term as everyone games these days. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

This dude is just a troll. As a PC player, I can argue all day about how kbm has a higher mechanical skill ceiling and that makes the game slightly more competitive. At the end of the day though, Halo has been played for almost 2 decades on console and all the games on MCC were originally console games. The fact that people are gonna play on controller and want to compete on controller is obvious. And its very unlikely that 343 will reduce auto aim for a console game ported to PC for some money off of people's nostalgia, that will only competitively last about a year anyway. Infinite is the first Halo game being worked on for both PC and console, so hopefully theres a better attempt to balance it out there.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I used a mouse all day and it felt great. Been outshooting people nonstop. It's only when I get into close range battles with players my skill level that I have issues. I'm currently rank 27 so I have a ways to go before I notice a severe disadvantage. I'm not that great with a mouse so I can only imagine what a determined 10 year old who falls in love with competing in Halo on PC can do.. the future is bright.

But I do believe the AA needs to be tuned way down for controllers. 

I think a more realistic option is a toggle to not search for controller players, and to not allow controllers in LAN tournaments for PC.

Whether or not that's the best option is debatable, but I think it'd be easier to implement and less controversial.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah a simple "Enable input based matchmaking" would fix it.  If they could add that then, make it cross-play with Xbox, that would be the best solution.

Has anybody modded the DMR to be projectile yet?

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Has anybody modded the DMR to be projectile yet?

For the goldpro mod we tried it and it totally works but we decided to use a projectile pistol as the starting weapon and 4sk hitscan DMRs as map pickups so they actually have different roles and it establishes the "mid-range marksman rifle" role a little better.

No weapon in Reach is actually "hitscan", it's just projectile set to a ridiculously fast speed like all Bungie games. Currently the pistol is somewhere in between the CE Magnum and H3 BR in projectile speed and feels very solid.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Basu said:

For the goldpro mod we tried it and it totally works but we decided to use a projectile pistol as the starting weapon and 4sk hitscan DMRs as map pickups so they actually have different roles and it establishes the "mid-range marksman rifle" role a little better.

No weapon in Reach is actually "hitscan", it's just projectile set to a ridiculously fast speed like all Bungie games. Currently the pistol is somewhere in between the CE Magnum and H3 BR in projectile speed and feels very solid.

Nice, zero bloom on the pistol i'm assuming?

11 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Nice, zero bloom on the pistol i'm assuming?

Zero bloom on everything but autos lol. Even the sniper can get fucked over by bloom if you reload, YY and shoot too quickly in vanilla Reach. Bungie just didn't care anymore. 

• Like (+1) 3

Summit talking about how the imbalance has caused mkb to leave and the population to dramatically drop. As well as a drop in viewership. Unfortunate. He ends up hating himself every Halo stream, might as well just drop it. I don't know what 343 can really do, hopefully they can figure something out for infiinite. Separate by input? idk.

Part of me also feels like it's a "deal with it or switch to a controller and stop bitching" sorta thing but that's a little unrealistic.

6 hours ago, Riddler said:

Summit needs to not play people that are better than him to start. The people hes playing against are better in every single way. He got carried to a high rank because he teams with 3 halo pros. If he loses a battle, its a controller player. Not that he was out of position, not that he made himself easy to hit, not that it was actually a kbm player. Hes just making up depressing scenarios in his mind. The dude still aims better than 99% of people on reach  

343 still needs to fix input delay for kbm though. 

It's a shame that the technology that would allow people to set MM to search based on your input doesn't exist.

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, Exidrion said:

Summit talking about how the imbalance has caused mkb to leave and the population to dramatically drop. As well as a drop in viewership. Unfortunate. He ends up hating himself every Halo stream, might as well just drop it. I don't know what 343 can really do, hopefully they can figure something out for infiinite. Separate by input? idk.

Part of me also feels like it's a "deal with it or switch to a controller and stop bitching" sorta thing but that's a little unrealistic.

Or they can actually cater the game to the people on the platform.....

There's literally no reason controller aim assist needs to exist in a multiplayer FPS on PC. Hopefully 343 realizes this with Infinite or that game's "competitive" modes will be a waste of time too.

• Like (+1) 1

There needs to be crossplay and then they should separate MM based on input device at least in ranked. Imagine if this game wasn't rushed out the door for Christmas sales and actually launched in a decent state. 

13 minutes ago, Basu said:

There needs to be crossplay and then they should separate MM based on input device at least in ranked. Imagine if this game wasn't rushed out the door for Christmas sales and actually launched in a decent state. 

Twice. Lol. I totally agree though. The nuanced and "right" approach is to just allow people to choose which input devices they play against and if the answer is "no controllers" and you're on a PC that should disable aim assist/controllers entirely and for console the same option should just be a yes/no to mkb. If the answer is "yes" on either platform that enables crossplay.  It would be an ever so slightly more polished version of what PC MW has right now. It would do nothing but provide faster matching and a more healthy/larger community. Its strange to me that people actively want a shitty solution that will obviously ruin the population on PC. There is no PC Halo community to speak of and while we should foster one (see above) taking out the community that already exists on PC, many of which use controllers, would be pretty stupid for no guaranteed gain. 343 should have actually waited until it was ready instead of picking which side to screw over. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/17/2019 at 5:26 PM, Edain said:

All first party MS games will be on PC from what I know, I'd bet Infinite will have crossplay, so it wouldn't matter if you play on PC or Xbox.

Really only reason to get the new xbox is if bad console->PC ports will persist in an era where consoles are practically PC's, Backwards Compability, and Game Pass for Console offering a different and wider selection compared to GP for PC.