CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

Bros

Shut the fuck up. Everyone who complains about controllers just sucks. U cant tell if the dude is playing controller or mouse unless u see him do a 180. If yall losing and immediately blame controller players, yall just suck at the game. 

summit was hanging with reach pros while on mnk

a 0-7 day twitch streamer who doesnt play professional halo was hanging with people who grinded the specific game for 8-16 hours a day for 2 years and also play halo consistently. Dude doesnt have the teamwork or the awareness or the knowledge  

Now obv the input delay isnt ideal. It should be fixed. But if lethul had summits aim he’d be darn near close where he is right now. Also no1 has practices on 50ms delay so u cant expect for your aim to carry over from csgo which is under 10ms. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

3 hours ago, Riddler said:

Bros

Shut the fuck up. Everyone who complains about controllers just sucks. U cant tell if the dude is playing controller or mouse unless u see him do a 180. If yall losing and immediately blame controller players, yall just suck at the game. 

summit was hanging with reach pros while on mnk

a 0-7 day twitch streamer who doesnt play professional halo was hanging with people who grinded the specific game for 8-16 hours a day for 2 years and also play halo consistently. Dude doesnt have the teamwork or the awareness or the knowledge  

Now obv the input delay isnt ideal. It should be fixed. But if lethul had summits aim he’d be darn near close where he is right now. Also no1 has practices on 50ms delay so u cant expect for your aim to carry over from csgo which is under 10ms. 

I'm sure for someone out there this doesn't apply and controllers may be a real problem but anecdotally every PC lobby I've been in when someone starts complaining they're also pretty much just clueless/very bad to the point that were they to have aim assist on their mouse they'd still be losing by the same number of points so I do feel like this sometimes lol. I actually feel bad playing on PC, not because of mouse/keybard vs controller, but because I'm just crushing these people with near 2 decades of experience when its obviously their first experience. Like I'm not even good at Reach at all and I'm dropping 45+ pretty much every obj while not really trying to do anything in particular. Even when I play with a mouse, which I'm absolutely terrible at, its still an easy W because people just don't know how to play the game at all

• Upvote (+1) 1

Let's be clear here:

1. The gun skill ceiling in Reach is a joke and that ABSOLUTELY favors controller players in fights. This objective fact has little to do with the second point

2. PC players are struggling with map/game knowledge and that's a big part of the reason they are doing poorly in ranked. This is especially shocking for many coming from just about ANY other vaguely popular PC shooter where mechanical skill can carry you farther, because those games have faster TTK and a much higher mechanical skill ceiling.

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, pr0gress said:

Says the guy who searches 1v1 and then quits out after going down 4 frags and finding out he was losing to mouse and keyboard. If you spent more time practicing instead of raging you might actually get better.

I like you. Who are you? Sign me tits.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

1 hour ago, arglactable said:

Let's be clear here:

1. The gun skill ceiling in Reach is a joke and that ABSOLUTELY favors controller players in fights. This objective fact has little to do with the second point

2. PC players are struggling with map/game knowledge and that's a big part of the reason they are doing poorly in ranked. This is especially shocking for many coming from just about ANY other vaguely popular PC shooter where mechanical skill can carry you farther, because those games have faster TTK and a much higher mechanical skill ceiling.

Agreed.  

I said that when watching Summit in the Twitch Rivals event.  Obviously he's incredibly skilled mechanically, but it was just as obvious he wasn't a "Halo" player, per se.  Not that he was bad, but you just notice certain things about how he was moving and what he was doing.  

On 12/10/2019 at 10:48 PM, Frostbite XV2 said:

I remember the day that it became apparent that the amount of REQs on an account could affect the aiming. I don't remember how I felt during that moment (must have been repressed) but now it does bring a chuckle.

I hope this wasn’t an actual thing because if they fucked up the aiming that bad.. I’d seriously appreciate a post mortem on what happened between the beta aiming and full game aiming.

18 minutes ago, thdyingbreed said:

I hope this wasn’t an actual thing because if they fucked up the aiming that bad.. I’d seriously appreciate a post mortem on what happened between the beta aiming and full game aiming.

"basically we thought we knew what we were doing but we actually didn't at all" - Years of aiming updates starting from beta

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, thdyingbreed said:

The thumbstick both aims the reticle and turns the player view.  With advanced movement, the line between aiming and turning is blurred because players are moving so far so fast.  The game may think you are trying to turn when you really just want to aim far in one direction.  

10 hours ago, pr0gress said:

Says the guy who searches 1v1 and then quits out after going down 4 frags and finding out he was losing to mouse and keyboard.

If you spent more time practicing instead of raging you might actually get better.

Lol Gettng better at Reach :kappa:

Also talking about somebody else not me. Don't even know who you are. 

15 hours ago, Sody91 said:

That's up to 343, not the playerbase.

No. The player base could grow a pair and put the outdated hardware input devices down and if you're no longer a top tier player outside of xbox oh well. 

• Salt (-1) 5

7 minutes ago, Humpflung said:

No. The player base could grow a pair and put the outdated hardware input devices down and if you're no longer a top tier player outside of xbox oh well. 

People who have been playing Halo with a controller for decades should stop using that input method and begin using an input device that Halo was never designed for?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Just now, Boyo said:

People who have been playing Halo with a controller for decades should stop using that input method and begin using an input device that Halo was never designed for?

If you actually want the game to not be laughed out of the competitive shooters list, yes. 

If not I actually hope Halo tanks for good forever. I honestly am in disbelief that the Halo community is so stupid they didn't catch the hint that playing with aim assist in 2019 would have PC players walk out the fucking door. 35k players on a Friday night? Good job. Its just us in there now and the only difference is we just went from xbox to PC. GG Nothing changed.

And No. I will not blame the game because Reach V7 is fine, but when you have top tier M&K players saying theres no point in playing, the games going to die. 

It's god damn laughable. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

If Halo players wanted what was best for the game, they would be playing modded settings.  Do you think encouraging all players to play modded settings is the best path forward for Halo?  

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

If Halo players wanted what was best for the game, they would be playing modded settings.  Do you think encouraging all players to play modded settings is the best path forward for Halo?  

Judging from what I have seen the past 2 weeks, Halo players have no fucking clue what the fuck is happening so I can't take ANYTHING they want seriously

• Upvote (+1) 3

Just now, Humpflung said:

Judging from what I have seen the past 2 weeks, Halo players have no fucking clue what the fuck is happening so I can't take ANYTHING they want seriously

What do you want?

Just now, Boyo said:

What do you want?

For Halo to actually thrive in the comp scene but the comp players sure as shit didnt want that. lmao 

For Halo to actually thrive in the comp scene but the comp players sure as shit didnt want that. lmao 

What does your ideal comp scene look like?  Controllers?  Mouse and keyboard?  A mix of both?  Which should the aim be tweaked for?

Just now, Boyo said:

What does your ideal comp scene look like?  Controllers?  Mouse and keyboard?  A mix of both?  Which should the aim be tweaked for?

M&K only. Fuck the past. If you were a pro back then. Oh well you had your time. That is unless a few are legit on M&K. But other than that, its all about getting the controllers OUT of PC. If people want to play hardcore with controllers, the new Xbox black brick POS is there for them to buy next year

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 2
  • Salt (-1) 1

19 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Design decisions made for competitive gameplay should be made with what is best for competitive gameplay in mind, not to pander to the specific pro players out there now and what they're "used to".  As if because they were pros in the past they deserve to remain pros for the rest of eternity with no challenge to the status quo.  They should be expected to keep up with (qualifier: objectively good) changes to the franchise like anyone else.

No, I don't have answers.  Other than I think searching for KBM-only should be a queue option, and perhaps consider having different leagues.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Humpflung said:

M&K only. Fuck the past. If you were a pro back then. Oh well you had your time. That is unless a few are legit on M&K. But other than that, its all about getting the controllers OUT of PC. If people want to play hardcore with controllers, the new Xbox black brick POS is there for them to buy next year

Halo was designed around the limitations of a controller.  If you want such a pure arena experience, why aren’t you advocating for a pc game like quake live instead of something adapted from controller to mouse?  

• Downvote (-1) 1

Just now, Ramirez77 said:

Design decisions made for competitive gameplay should be made with what is best for competitive gameplay in mind, not to pander to the specific pro players out there now and what they're "used to".  As if because they were pros in the past they deserve to remain pros for the rest of eternity with no upset.

No, I don't have answers.  Other than I think searching for KBM-only should be a queue option, and perhaps consider having different leagues.  

I followed you until I say different leagues. 

Did they have CSGO ESL ONE and CSGO CONSOLE ESL ONE?

NO. You know why? Because console is a joke. We've been on the platform long enough. 

It's either move on or get left behind. If I wanted to shit on kids I would plug in my controller. But since day one on PC I have refused to plug the thing in because I wanted to see Halo evolve the correct way but for some reason the Halo kids can't let it go. Games a FUCKING JOKE

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

Halo was designed around the limitations of a controller.  If you want such a pure arena experience, why aren’t you advocating for a pc game like quake live instead of something adapted from controller to mouse?  

How about we're playing Halo on PC not console so that argument is stupid. THE WHOLE POINT OF PC IS THE PC EXPERIENCE 

If you're going to use the console argument, plug the xbox in and play it. 

How about we're playing Halo on PC not console so that argument is stupid. THE WHOLE POINT OF PC IS THE PC EXPERIENCE 

If you're going to use the console argument, plug the xbox in and play it. 

Did you think Halo Reach was going to be redesigned for PC release?

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Did you think Halo Reach was going to be redesigned for PC release?

No. But I was expecting this community to be smart enough to not use controllers. Whats the fucking point of switching to PC then?!?!?!?!!?!?! Cuz your fucking ram is 4 billion gigs?   WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

• Salt (-1) 1