Jump to content
CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Not to sound pretentious, but it's like none of you played late-game Evolved in 2016/2017, lol. 

That's probably because almost nobody played it. I only know what that is because I look at these forums and we're a small part of a small community. Not that its the most irrelevant thing ever but I meannnn a lot of people here don't even play H5 to begin with. It was a lot like Reach gold pro settings but not quite as bad in that it had a bunch of good ideas but was so obscure most players wouldn't even know what it is

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Parskiozy said:

Reach TU social feels so bad. Even H4 was fine after that.

I was too young at the time to notice these things when the game launched, but it is increasingly evident to me how hard it was pushed when Reach was designed to encourage trades. 

 

Low strafe momentum. 

Frags get stuck in armor. 

Inverse flinch. 

Spammable pistol. 

Tight spaced maps. 

Bloom. 

 

I don't enjoy playing rumble pit, when FFA has always been my style. Because it's a social playlist it's you vs every tom, dick, and ForlornTrout92237 so you stomp them but it's not even enjoyable because some stupid shit happened on the way to your 25-4 game where you couldnt escape death due to some idiot sprinting at your reload or dumps the pistol mag at your feet. 

 

At least the mlg playlist is nice. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Obnokshus said:

I was too young at the time to notice these things when the game launched, but it is increasingly evident to me how hard it was pushed when Reach was designed to encourage trades. 

O don't enjoy playing rumble pit, when FFA has always been my style. Because it's a social playlist it's you vs every tom, dick, and ForlornTrout92237 so you stomp them but it's not even enjoyable because some stupid shit happened on the way to your 25-4 game where you couldnt escape death due to some idiot sprinting at your reload or dumps the pistol mag at your feet. 

At least the mlg playlist is nice. 

Rumble pit in complete shit in this game, I forgot how bad it was. You can't finish a kill due to bloom and the defensive abilities, then you die to a random nade or double melee.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, RTSxRagnarok said:

Redownloaded all 100gigs just for that playlist... settings are great, but the FPS on my X seemed close to 30. Forge map performance is crucial to a fun experience, and these need optimization. 

Sorry to hear that. I wasn't running into any trouble. I've been having a pretty awesome time with it so far.

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

@Trespa5s Global rank is indeed a little buried. In lobby you can hit X, select your own tag, then player details, in the upper left hand corner it will tell you your rank (though I don't think the symbol is displayed) and how much xp you are at.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Morachip said:

@Trespa5s Global rank is indeed a little buried. In lobby you can hit X, select your own tag, then player details, in the upper left hand corner it will tell you your rank (though I don't think the symbol is displayed) and how much xp you are at.

Funny enough I ended up finding this last night.  Not sure why it's like that but whatever.  

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, darkstar said:

Also, I forgot how traaaaash the aiming is, jesus christ. No wonder I uninstalled lol

i remember the last game of h5 i played before i uninstalled. it felt like i was moving my pistol through molasses and no change to sensitivity had any effect

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

i remember the last game of h5 i played before i uninstalled. it felt like i was moving my pistol through molasses and no change to sensitivity had any effect

I cannot aim for shit in that game. I hopped on MCC Reach for the first time today and my aim is pretty on point, so I know I’m not garbage or anything. H5’s aiming is just a straight up joke lmao

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, darkstar said:

Also, I forgot how traaaaash the aiming is, jesus christ. No wonder I uninstalled lol

It's definitely shit, no matter what you do. But I did make some changes that alleviated my most frustrating problem. On higher accels and lower deadzones, I was noticing that it felt like I wasn't getting very much reticle friction in fights, and my aim would slip off of people pretty easily (and meanwhile I was getting perfected seemingly effortlessly). I initially bumped it up a long time ago because it felt a lot smoother to just look around the map. My buddy I was playing with told me he uses much lower accels and higher deadzone than I was using, and told me to give that a shot. Sure enough, I'm landing way more perfects because it feels like my reticle snaps to players again instead of sliding off. I compensated for the more sluggish looking around with higher sensitivities, which don't have as big of an impact mid-fight, since I'm making smaller adjustments.

So idk, maybe give that a shot. It helped me. I think I'm running default deadzones (12% I believe, up from 10%), and 2 accel (down from 4). I upped my H and V sens up 1 each I believe, to compensate for slower looking around. I had a pretty massive improvement over the course of a single long session.

Share this post


Link to post

Playing H5 after MCC is the stuff of nightmares. I love the settings and maps in Mythic but the aiming is just so bad that it really hurts my enjoyment of the playlist.

Share this post


Link to post

I know H5 has a slightly different aim style, but there are literally so many options to customize the aiming to make it work for you. Inner and outer deadzones as well as vertical and horizontal sensitivities. If other people are lasering you fine but you are still struggling with the aiming it miiiight be kinda fair to assume you just aren't as good at the game as them. I wouldn't blame the aiming. Seeing as the people killing you are aiming fine.

Also quick side thing. Might wanna be careful with using inner deadzones. There's a reason pretty much every pro played on 0. It will fuck you in the long run.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Aiming doesn’t really need, and shouldn’t really have, a thousand different options on a console game.  It needs to “just work”.  

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of aiming, i'm getting into the 20's in the mlg playlist and holy shit there is a huge difference in kbm vs controller. To the point that i'm not comfortable taking duels. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Boyo said:

Aiming doesn’t really need, and shouldn’t really have, a thousand different options on a console game.  It needs to “just work”.  

What "works" for some doesn't work for all. There's no harm in being able to customize it how you like. Pretty much every game nowadays allows for customization to this degree. 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Boyo said:

Aiming doesn’t really need, and shouldn’t really have, a thousand different options on a console game.  It needs to “just work”.  

Default settings should "just work" but I don't agree with not having options. There's no reason not to.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

I just wouldn’t want to put players in a position where they were constantly asking themselves if they could have won that last gunfight if their aiming was tweaked just a little differently.  The psychological wear and tear outweighs the benefits imo but it’s not like I am staunchly against customization.  

I also feel like it gives the developers an excuse to release a shitty aiming system because “you can always tweak it to how you like it”.

We don’t need a thousand aiming systems, just one good one.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

I know H5 has a slightly different aim style, but there are literally so many options to customize the aiming to make it work for you. Inner and outer deadzones as well as vertical and horizontal sensitivities. If other people are lasering you fine but you are still struggling with the aiming it miiiight be kinda fair to assume you just aren't as good at the game as them. I wouldn't blame the aiming. Seeing as the people killing you are aiming fine.

Also quick side thing. Might wanna be careful with using inner deadzones. There's a reason pretty much every pro played on 0. It will fuck you in the long run.

Funny, I aim just fine in every Halo game, as I did in the Halo 5 beta. Are you gonna deny there is a huge problem with the aiming? Like Boyo said, the fact there is a plethora of options is a problem in of itself. 

  • Fire (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Funny, I aim just fine in every Halo game, as I did in the Halo 5 beta. Are you gonna deny there is a huge problem with the aiming? Like Boyo said, the fact there is a plethora of options is a problem in of itself. 

Halo 5 is a different game. Way more movement, crouch strafing, steep angles and pretty low reticle stickiness all add to the way the aiming feels. If you put H5 aiming in any classic Halo I guarantee the complaints would be almost non-existent. Using other games doesnt really mean much. Also MCC added most of these options. And literally added in modern aiming because enough people were complaining about "classic" halo aim. 

3 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Said no one ever before Halo 3 dropped.

I think both CE and H2 have garbage aiming lol. CE vertical is terrible and H2 is way too boxy. Also as I stated above modern aiming was added to MCC for a reason.  Back in the day there wasn't as much of a standard on how aiming should feel. Now it's completely different.

  • WutFace (+0) 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

I think both CE and H2 have garbage aiming lol. CE vertical is terrible and H2 is way too boxy. Also as I stated above modern aiming was added to MCC for a reason.  Back in the day there wasn't as much of a standard on how aiming should feel. Now it's completely different.

We've already established that you and a certain other person are alone in the entire universe with respect to your opinions on certain things.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Cursed Lemon said:

We've already established that you and a certain other person are alone in the entire universe with respect to your opinions on certain things.

Yea and we, alone in our opinion, caused 343 to put enough work in to add modern aiming. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy.