CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

How many people in here can honestly say that watched the reach v7 tournament?. Apart from the easy no scopes and generous nade hitboxes, reach is a far better game than halo 3. So what if the maps are grey? So are half the maps in ce. 

Not to mention; isn't there a possibility of modded maps for reach pc?. 

• Like (+1) 4

If we're going to play Reach, then we need to talk about Penance.  The soulless remake of Damnation is not fun to watch, it's not fun to play.  1 team sits up top and camps while the other team gets picked trying to grab power-ups/weapons.  The rest of the time is just a lot of sitting and waiting.  Please remove it from the rotation.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sody91 said:

reach is a far better game than halo 3

Is it?

1 hour ago, Sody91 said:

How many people in here can honestly say that watched the reach v7 tournament?. Apart from the easy no scopes and generous nade hitboxes, reach is a far better game than halo 3. So what if the maps are grey? So are half the maps in ce. 

Not to mention; isn't there a possibility of modded maps for reach pc?. 

I did. I think a lot of people forget that you get blanks in Reach all the time online too. They probably don't remember the slippery movement because the base movement speed was increased to make up for sprints removal and that it doesn't feel very nice. There's also the part where the game doesn't actually have good maps at all. There is a reason we played on so many forge maps despite their shortcomings due to being forge maps. We played on Penance lol. The map pool is so weak you could copy paste the Halo 3 maps into that game and it would actually be better despite the maps not being designed for that game. Its like Halo 4 where you look for a classic map or something to look back on fondly and you come back with nothing. That's probably my biggest issue with Reach. Every map that's "good" in that game is a remake in forge or DLC from an older game. Nobody trying to get that Zealot or Countdown remake

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hully said:

I don't even know about that. I was watching Naded play last night and the amount of blanks he was getting was comical. 

That's just 343s servers. OG Reach had flawless hit detection even on bad P2P hosts.

• Like (+1) 1

Hopefully these upgraded launch servers they have planned fix some of this shit.  It's a problem all across MCC (which I'm sure is also partially engine side but still).

4 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

Hopefully these upgraded launch servers they have planned fix some of this shit.  It's a problem all across MCC (which I'm sure is also partially engine side but still).

At what point do fans think/know they stopped giving a shit?  Why is there a problem with literally everything they do?  Is it so much to ask for a working fucking game?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I did. I think a lot of people forget that you get blanks in Reach all the time online too. They probably don't remember the slippery movement because the base movement speed was increased to make up for sprints removal and that it doesn't feel very nice. There's also the part where the game doesn't actually have good maps at all. There is a reason we played on so many forge maps despite their shortcomings due to being forge maps. We played on Penance lol. The map pool is so weak you could copy paste the Halo 3 maps into that game and it would actually be better despite the maps not being designed for that game. Its like Halo 4 where you look for a classic map or something to look back on fondly and you come back with nothing. That's probably my biggest issue with Reach. Every map that's "good" in that game is a remake in forge other DLC from an older game. Nobody trying to get that Zealot or Countdown remake

Construct is only good on hill and even then it's just vertical choke point checking. The pit while a very aesthetically pleasing map has the same problem on a horizontal plane. I think pit plays better in reach too. Heretic is a remake and just doesn't play as well with it's unreliable br (although I say this as someone who'd much rather play h3 than 2). Narrows is dogshit. I like looking at halo 3 maps but I think there's a good argument there for that's what they actually have over reach maps- they just look better and as you say no ones thrilled to look at grey map after grey map.

I hope I'm right in that we'll see just how fun and competitive reach can be now that it's getting a fair shot with the v7 settings. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

1 minute ago, Sody91 said:

as someone who'd much rather play h3 than 2

Why?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

At what point do fans think/know they stopped giving a shit?  Why is there a problem with literally everything they do?  Is it so much to ask for a working fucking game?

Then leave and stop playing.  If you aren't happy, it's that simple.  Just admit that the game isn't for you anymore and find something that fits your taste better.  

I like to have hope for things, and think it's probable that we'll get upgraded servers.  If you're referring to the blanks, I agree that H5 shouldn't have had them, but Infinite should fix it either way (new engine if it's engine side, and upgraded servers if it's a latency problem). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

6 hours ago, Zavehi said:

We really have hit a bad run when people are yearning for the good ole days of Halo Reach. 

Well... Yeah...

You do realize Frankie has claimed that every game 343 has ever developed is on a “new engine”, correct?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Looooooool

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

You do realize Frankie has claimed that every game 343 has ever developed is on a “new engine”, correct?

Yes, but it's not exactly a secret that they were a modified version of the original engine.  Slipspace, by all accounts that I can fine, is an entire rebuild.  Ergo, new engine. 

Just now, Trespa5s said:

Yes, but it's not exactly a secret that they were a modified version of the original engine.  Slipspace, by all accounts that I can fine, is an entire rebuild.  Ergo, new engine. 

What accounts are those?

• Upvote (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Sody91 said:

Construct is only good on hill and even then it's just vertical choke point checking. The pit while a very aesthetically pleasing map has the same problem on a horizontal plane. I think pit plays better in reach too. Heretic is a remake and just doesn't play as well with it's unreliable br (although I say this as someone who'd much rather play h3 than 2). Narrows is dogshit. I like looking at halo 3 maps but I think there's a good argument there for that's what they actually have over reach maps- they just look better and as you say no ones thrilled to look at grey map after grey map.

I hope I'm right in that we'll see just how fun and competitive reach can be now that it's getting a fair shot with the v7 settings. 

Construct is still way better than Countdown. Zealot is pretty much complete shit, even ONS and AMP are better maps than that. You also forgot Guardian. Bad Slayer map, but hella good for Ball, I also wonder if King would work over TS, but we have to respect that weird obsession with Team Slayer in competitive rotations apparently. Why the FUCK are we playing TS on Penance instead of Hill? I will never understand.

Agree on Narrows, but despite the lazy linear design it still offers better engagements than the majority of Reach maps. Honestly the only good Reach maps in rotation is Nexus. The rest are remakes: The Pit is tolerable in Reach but  I've never been the biggest fan of the map. Sucks for Slayer (anyone seeing a pattern?) BC has great potential but that map is so broken for Slayer and CTF because of the weird archway asymmetry on an otherwise almost symmetrical map. Total Bungie blunder. The other possibly good map is Sanc, but the forge remake is just total ass and should be replaced honestly. Waaay too barebones (which makes sniping from flag a viable strategy which largely ruins the map) and looks about as as gross as a forge map can look. Zealot can suck it, Countdown is mediocre af and Penance shows beautifully how much Halo's gameplay has degraded over the years because in CE that map was a masterpiece.

• Fire (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What accounts are those?

https://www.dualshockers.com/halo-infinites-slipspace-engine-bonnie-ross/

“That engine [the previous one] is, gosh, eighteen, nineteen years old? So when you think about where we are today, we needed to pretty much redo it and I’m really proud of what we have now but it took a lot of work to get there.”  - Bonnie Ross

https://gamerant.com/halo-infinite-new-engine/

"This has lead to the forthcoming game being so "ambitious" that the developer was required to build a new engine so as to support its vision."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Salt (-1) 1

51 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I did. I think a lot of people forget that you get blanks in Reach all the time online too. They probably don't remember the slippery movement because the base movement speed was increased to make up for sprints removal and that it doesn't feel very nice. There's also the part where the game doesn't actually have good maps at all. There is a reason we played on so many forge maps despite their shortcomings due to being forge maps. We played on Penance lol. The map pool is so weak you could copy paste the Halo 3 maps into that game and it would actually be better despite the maps not being designed for that game. Its like Halo 4 where you look for a classic map or something to look back on fondly and you come back with nothing. That's probably my biggest issue with Reach. Every map that's "good" in that game is a remake in forge or DLC from an older game. Nobody trying to get that Zealot or Countdown remake

While I get what you mean I would say H3 maps are not that much better than Countdown or Zealot. I still think Powerhouse is a good KoTH map despite mlg not making use of it at all. And generally saying all good maps in forge are remakes is a joke, as if there was not a single non-remake forge map that played well (idk if you actually meant to state this specifically but it does emerge from your statement).
Damnation remake can be fixed and the beaver creek remake would also play better if they didn't try to force a symmetrical item layout on it in v7. So despite 2 maps being HCE remakes that would make 5 dev maps and doesn't look too weak compared to H3's map pool.
That said no Halo has a great map pool for competitive 4v4, and most of the good 4v4 maps are just symmetrical small arenas, on the asymmetrical side of things there is close to nothing nice for 4v4s. Personally I would like to see more room based maps that really focus on map and item controll and that would again only work with faster item timers, the maps that are currently viewed as "the best" in the series are okay for combat but the controll aspect for items is pretty weak and some of them come with pretty powerful positions that overview a large area of the entire map...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I have 0 faith in the new engine doing much in terms of hit reg. 343 hasn't proven they can make hit reg not cheeks

• Like (+1) 2