CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

Breaking news: 343 doesn't know what the hell they're doing and doesn't understand why anyone would be upset that they're playing frisbee with the old, reliable Halo china. At least this time it's just the guy in charge of porting the old games mouthing off instead of Josh Holmes or somebody.

This is why I'm rooting hard for mod support and customs browsers in MCC and any subsequent games. This studio will never create anything worthwhile under the Halo banner. We just have to hope we get the tools to put something together ourselves.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

There's also a balancing act between letting the devs make the game that they want to make, and respecting an already established franchise.  A game being objectively good as a game, vs relatively good/bad as part of a series.  

If H5 was a fresh IP, it absolutely wouldn't have gotten NEARLY the amount of hate that it did.  Think about it:  one of the major complaints of the campaign (not playing as Chief for most of it) wouldn't be an issue because we wouldn't have been expecting to play as Chief.  Sprint wouldn't have been a debate, and spartan abilities would have been argued against based on competitiveness instead of just screaming that it's change and "NO! I want classic, REAL Halo!"  Of course there are still gripes we'd have with the game (no game is perfect after all) but it wouldn't be blown out of proportion and declared the death of the franchise and calling for the developer's heads. 

There's a counterpoint to this though. If H5 was a fresh IP, it wouldn't have sold nearly as well as it did, as it brought in no new innovative or interesting gameplay. The only reason it sold well is because of the fans of the franchise. It may not have gotten a lot of hate, but it would have gotten very little love either. People just wouldn't have cared.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Commander Eagle said:

There's a counterpoint to this though. If H5 was a fresh IP, it wouldn't have sold nearly as well as it did, as it brought in no new innovative or interesting gameplay. The only reason it sold well is because of the fans of the franchise. It may not have gotten a lot of hate, but it would have gotten very little love either. People just wouldn't have cared.

You're not wrong, and considering the era of grinding a single game for multiple years has come to an end (with more games being released and gamers being more willing to jump around to new titles) it would hurt even more than it would have in the past.  I was simply talking about people's perception of games being drastically different for fresh IPs vs Series.  

On 10/28/2019 at 7:48 AM, Doodlepop said:

And just like that... Two simple tweets have essentially killed any glimmer of hope that I had that Infinite would feature classic Halo movement. 

*sigh*

I could be wrong but I think Postums has no input on the MP stuff. Not that there won't be sprint, though

2 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

I could be wrong but I think Postums has no input on the MP stuff. Not that there won't be sprint, though

I mean we had a pro team last time that would have understood that most people don't want sprint in Halo, yet here we are.  

I could wake up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet and I wouldn't be more surprised than if Infinite is NS.  Base game that is, there's an argument to be made to allow it to be removed for competitive. 

3 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

I could wake up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet and I wouldn't be more surprised than if Infinite is NS.  Base game that is, there's an argument to be made to allow it to be removed for competitive. 

That should never be an argument or discussion. It took 2 years to get the funnest settings for H5, lets not make the same mistake.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

That should never be an argument or discussion. It took 2 years to get the funnest settings for H5, lets not make the same mistake.

The community had the best settings figured out in like a month, but 343 was too fucking bullheaded to listen.  Literally forcing changes when the pros said certain maps were fine as is.  If they actually listen to the pro team and competitors then we may have a shot this time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

pro team and pros aren't exactly the beacon of knowledge. ghost said he had the ability to remove sprint in halo4 but chose not to because it would "divide the community."  Pros have $$ at risk when voicing their opinion. A smart pro won't suggest anything that makes the game less in their favor. 

Always remember than the pro team "had to fight tooth and nail" to bring back simple shit like flag drop and descope and had no power to stop the inclusion of all the dumbshit mobility gimmicks and sprint. They obviously aren't just PR hires, but they also not much more than a glorified test group with no actual design input.

• Like (+1) 5

just to stay on topic a bit:

first a tweet from tashi about upcoming HCS announcement Nov 5

0yfdhg4mrev31.png?width=903&format=png&auto=webp&s=1bd35592ac98e128084221222add14c6a955d4fc

second here are your top 8 teams going into saturday's 4th and final DH qualifier:

eacSypI.png

i've put the rostes below in spoilers

TOX

Spoiler

1HtxSf8.png

Cleveland (Lux):

Spoiler

Fr7l0Ir.png

Team Mantra:

Spoiler

rr84Ozf.png

BTH:

Spoiler

bodUKYe.png

MantrAA:

Spoiler

AMnq9rE.png

Team Reign:

Spoiler

VfCDV2V.png

two fulltimers:

Spoiler

VQAOR6p.png

RBG Esports DH:

Spoiler

jycqiEW.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 2

Those teams are wack honestly. Dunno about this event

EDIT: I thought they were ATL teams not just qualifiers. My bad.

In related news, I spent 20 minutes waiting to find an H3 Hardcore match before giving up.  I really wanna make videos but my god are they not making it easy.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, OG Nick said:

DH is in a couple weeks and I've never been less excited for an event

im excited that there is gonna be info about upcoming changes around the time of the event. its a big change from waiting until 2 months after to start teasing news

1 hour ago, Knighty Knight said:

Imagine if they were in charge of the year round pro league!?

a cwl format for halo wouldve been awesome

On 10/30/2019 at 11:17 AM, Apoll0 said:

LFG

Thank fucking god I was worried we were going to be stuck with a mediocre TO like UGC or ESL as the main TO when we got done with this grassroots stuff.

6 hours ago, thdyingbreed said:

Thank fucking god I was worried we were going to be stuck with a mediocre TO like UGC or ESL as the main TO when we got done with this grassroots stuff.

tbf ugc has run some really good events. dreamhach has been pretty good for us too. but yeah we need @Clap for the meat of whatever halo wants to do. if nothing else, having him running premier events again will be awesome

1 hour ago, Craneteam said:

tbf ugc has run some really good events. dreamhach has been pretty good for us too. but yeah we need @Clap for the meat of whatever halo wants to do. if nothing else, having him running premier events again will be awesome

To be fair out of the three, ESL ran the most polished show. Worlds 2017 was a massive step up in terms of production quality, people just got so obsessed with balloon gate that they were blind to how good that broadcast actually was. Their only downfall was juggling that aspect alongside running an open event (which if you have no experience in as they did at the time, is pretty bloody difficult)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

To be fair out of the three, ESL ran the most polished show. Worlds 2017 was a massive step up in terms of production quality, people just got so obsessed with balloon gate that they were blind to how good that broadcast actually was. Their only downfall was juggling that aspect alongside running an open event (which if you have no experience in as they did at the time, is pretty bloody difficult)

i thought we got the 10 man listen in from an esl show? and championship monday where ninja said he's glad he didnt win his last series cuz he wouldve missed his flight otherwise?

as to that worlds, the production was...ok. it was nothing that said million dollar world championship. the first H5 worlds was leaps and bounds better even if the format was sub par. that was loud, we had a huge crowd, and the staging was hype. it felt like a massive deal. 2017 worlds had side station in a closet and the main stage in an area where like 20-30 people could watch live. the majority of people who traveled all that way was shoved in a tent with a TV. there was no energy. i will say that esl had huge stream numbers thoogh. we've never gotten close to that since.

between esl, ugc, dramhack, and @Clap, i choose @Clap. they pulled off aridiculous X-games and their post ESL events were very well run too. ugc is second. they have handled their recent events really well

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Yeah I mean I wouldn't want to take away from any improvements or successes any of the TOs make and have. I think its pretty understandable though how any Halo player/viewer that's been around for awhile would really prefer clap to be running the ship as far as our tournaments go. Even if it started off rough hes proven that given the right team he'll put on great events for decades more or less at this point