CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

11 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

Very much so. I've had mini-tournaments in hotel rooms in Smash Ultimate. It's just too damn easy to put together and keep it rolling all night long without any pauses. Unbeatable. 

But thats just local grassroots in Halo... as for online grassroots it's way easier to manage than it's ever been. As a long time fan of LAN - I prefer we focus on our quantity of online leagues/tournaments. That is truly where the growth will take place on the esports side of things. I've spoken with over a dozen people who are very very determined to have successful broadcasts with smoothly ran brackets in the next few months. 

I can definitely agree with what you said about online being easier than ever, and I think you're probably right in saying it'll be the key to further growth.

I know I don't have to tell you this since you probably still attend more Halo LANs than me, and you've definitely attended more total. But I think LAN is so special in Halo, or at least the LAN culture, so it being not as important is a big blow to me. Even though I'm probably just biased because I grew up playing split screen. Maybe newer players don't see it as very important at all.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Silos said:

I can definitely agree with what you said about online being easier than ever, and I think you're probably right in saying it'll be the key to further growth.

I know I don't have to tell you this since you probably still attend more Halo LANs than me, and you've definitely attended more total. But I think LAN is so special in Halo, or at least the LAN culture, so it being not as important is a big blow to me. Even though I'm probably just biased because I grew up playing split screen. Maybe newer players don't see it as very important at all.

I totally agree. LAN should never be phased out. It makes the World Championship Tournament at the end of a season even more special! It's the absolute biggest stage and where the brightest lights are. 

We 100% need splitscreen back.
We 100% need offline LAN back. 
We 100% need offline accounts.

• Like (+1) 7

22 minutes ago, Silos said:

I feel LAN still has a special place as well. It was easier in the mid to late 2000s due to splitscreen and the 360 being popular but this past decade has been rough both with MCCs launch failure and the Xbones launch. I really thought the idea of running Microsoft store tournaments was great, my store had a good turnout in the middle of H5 when they 1st started and then ran the FFA World Qualifiers along with team tournaments where the winners of each would play other store winners regionally, but its died down 1-3 people showing up after the UGC event. I think once 343 get the ball rolling with Infinite's news we'll start seeing that growth again.

Edit: ^ All 3 points of Kighty exactly 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

remember the event where the observer account name was leaked and we saw message notifications on stream? the legend of stick beast 73 lives on

ZZ8vBDD.png

18 hours ago, Squatting Bear said:

I find it funny how $102,000 was pumped straight into those Reach online exclusive tournaments with almost none of those streamers competing at Anaheim, and virtually none of them playing Halo anymore.  The decision making by HCS is just baffling to me.

Also there appears to be no reason to grind ranked CE at this time....

I found those weekly tournaments actually refreshing, albeit I think they put too much money into them.

1 hour ago, Exidrion said:

I found those weekly tournaments actually refreshing, albeit I think they put too much money into them.

I agree. That money could've gone to online monthly open tournaments as well as the show matches. Going forward I'd like to see another league ran with more focus on narrative and player stories.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

Yup.  Less so split-screen (thought it would still be nice), but hopefully we get true LAN, and that Xbox/MSFT recognizes the value in offline accounts.  

2 hours ago, Craneteam said:

im excited to see the new h3 documentary

1Fas6Ho.png

Wait, is this real? I don’t know if you’re making a joke.

3 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

Yup.  Less so split-screen (thought it would still be nice), but hopefully we get true LAN, and that Xbox/MSFT recognizes the value in offline accounts.  

Splitscreen is the most important. U cant grow a community on a paytoplay game without. A good chunk of people who played halo 2001-2010 played it at a friends house first. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The greatest memories of gaming are sitting next to someone on a couch and doing co-op in the Halo 1 campaign or 1v1'ing on all the maps. In fact, all my favorite memories in gaming are next to someone handing the controller after a death in side scrollers, in an arcade playing fighters/lightgunners, or LAN'ing 4v4 between two TVs (quad screen). It's an experience that should never disappear. 

7fdb82b037797caf-600x338.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Wait, is this real? I don’t know if you’re making a joke.

Bloodshot is a new movie coming out based off a comic book hero.

• Simms (+1) 1

When you know to switch to the Magnum and your friends don’t: 

grxGQMS.gif?noredirect

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 4

14 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

I totally agree. LAN should never be phased out. It makes the World Championship Tournament at the end of a season even more special! It's the absolute biggest stage and where the brightest lights are. 

Offline accounts yes! It's such a small thing but it makes hosting LANs so much easier.

14 hours ago, Skor said:

I feel LAN still has a special place as well. It was easier in the mid to late 2000s due to splitscreen and the 360 being popular but this past decade has been rough both with MCCs launch failure and the Xbones launch. I really thought the idea of running Microsoft store tournaments was great, my store had a good turnout in the middle of H5 when they 1st started and then ran the FFA World Qualifiers along with team tournaments where the winners of each would play other store winners regionally, but its died down 1-3 people showing up after the UGC event. I think once 343 get the ball rolling with Infinite's news we'll start seeing that growth again.

Edit: ^ All 3 points of Kighty exactly 

I agree with what you said about the Microsoft tournaments, and I've had a similar experience. I still attend almost all of mine, but we've had multiple where we couldn't form two teams which makes it tough to convince those people to come back next time. A hard push with Infinite would be fantastic. We have been able to have a couple LANs from somebody's house with about half the people coming from people met from my Microsoft store, so it definitely hasn't been a complete failure for me.

5 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

I know it's a niche use, but split screen has been really important to my local group. When it's somebody new who doesn't know callouts or general flow, you can put them with a better player and have the better player micromanage the newer player (assuming the newer player actually wants to learn, definitely don't do this if the new person just wants to mess around). It's definitely possible to do with multiple screens, but way easier to catch quick glances or point at the screen when you share the same screen.

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Silos said:

I know it's a niche use, but split screen has been really important to my local group. When it's somebody new who doesn't know callouts or general flow, you can put them with a better player and have the better player micromanage the newer player (assuming the newer player actually wants to learn, definitely don't do this if the new person just wants to mess around). It's definitely possible to do with multiple screens, but way easier to catch quick glances or point at the screen when you share the same screen.

Not sure why my comment has been taken as "fuck split-screen, throw it out."  

I was just saying in terms of HCS, actual LAN is the #1 priority and offline tags would be nice.  Obviously I'd love to see SS come back.

20 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

Not sure why my comment has been taken as "fuck split-screen, throw it out."  

I was just saying in terms of HCS, actual LAN is the #1 priority and offline tags would be nice.  Obviously I'd love to see SS come back.

I didn't interpret it as "remove split screen" I'm just offering more reasons for why it's important to me. My apologies if I came across differently.

You're right, for HCS sanctioned events it's virtually meaningless. Unless HCS wants to switch to split screen like the old days, that combined with observer mode so you can still watch individual screens as a spectator, imagine? :walshy:

Only half kidding, it wouldn't be considered acceptable but I would love it.

• Like (+1) 1

For you early birds, 1gre and Legend are both streaming CE and matching against each other.  

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Trespa5s said:

For you early birds, 1gre and Legend are both streaming CE and matching against each other.  

Man the CE spawn system can be a gift and a curse lol

4 hours ago, MrTummyTumms said:

Man the CE spawn system can be a gift and a curse lol

Same for any game lol. In h3 pit, whether you get the flag stop or not largely depends on which spawn you get. 

3 hours ago, Riddler said:

Same for any game lol. In h3 pit, whether you get the flag stop or not largely depends on which spawn you get. 

True, it's just crazy seeing Ogre get back to back snipes before the enemy even realises they've spawned back in.

1 hour ago, Commander Eagle said:

Come on folks, let's keep this thread alive while we're all stuck at home cause of the coronavirus :Toxic::Toxic::Toxic:

QwLQnkw.png

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Commander Eagle said:

Come on folks, let's keep this thread alive while we're all stuck at home cause of the coronavirus :Toxic::Toxic::Toxic:

Being stuck at home wasn't so bad until Xbox Live went down.