CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

But it has Forge and Theatre.

This has never been more relevant than it is right now. Halo 5 has observer mode which is the absolute best feature for growing grassroots online. It enables EVERYONE to produce their own shows, tournaments, leagues, etc. 

There is obviously a way around that with Twitch now. Just capture a competitor from the tournaments stream. But then you run into this issue - what if both finalist teams don't stream?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Knighty Knight said:

This has never been more relevant than it is right now. Halo 5 has observer mode which is the absolute best feature for growing grassroots online. It enables EVERYONE to produce their own shows, tournaments, leagues, etc. 

But what if Halo 2 Anniversary had observer? 
Halo 3?
Halo 2!!?

We'd have people left and right cultivating the esports scene. 

I'm still floored that they didn't try to add an observer mode for MCC with it's "relaunch."

Another pipe dream that would be super cool (and I guess is possible on PC) would be forge/custom maps for CE/2. 

• Like (+1) 2

Game-wide observer in MCC would be absolutely mint. I think observer mode in Black Ops 2 was a bigger feature than anything else. Observer mode makes streaming cheap, easy and valuable. MLG spent thousands if not tens of thousands on getting 4 screens + player cames to work for the stream.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

That's great news. E3 has always been a corporate jack off fest. It's so disconnected from reality it's a joke. I hope it dies.

I'm certainly not a big fan of E3, but it always gave Halo a ton of exposure and attention, which is something it sorely needs going into Infinite...

3 minutes ago, Commander Eagle said:

I'm certainly not a big fan of E3, but it always gave Halo a ton of exposure and attention, which is something it sorely needs going into Infinite...

Microsoft are stronger then they've ever been they're releasing a new console and there's hype around their AAA lineup for the first time since forever.

If they can't figure this out they're shockin'

Who knows, maybe they'll move up the reveal date sooner now, it's not like we're going to have any big expo's any time soon.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Exidrion said:

I really dislike the sentiment that we should be playing older Halo's, and that the community should step up and run LAN's for those games. Beach LAN gets a couple hundred viewers at best, and correct me if I'm wrong but the only people that attend it are really old, die hard CE fans that have every nade spot and power-up timing memorised with muscle memory. It's not really accessible for new players. Hell, I was watching BuBu play it the other day and he admitted he thought it was a borefest. Lethul said he hates reach, and that even though he loves Halo 3 he was already sick of it after the ugc events. Not to mention we got bottom barrel views during the H3 events. Now I see people pushing for H2C events. Like why? It just seems like Halo classics aren't like Smash or CS etc. Nobody actually at the end of the day would attend these events.

We just need a fresh Halo that refines (as Shekkles put it) on the classic Halo style, and we need  pros, content creators, AND 343 to step up to the plate and take advantage of the hype from the get go. With the new Esports Engine announcement I'm somewhat hopeful.

I don't think the sentiment is that we should be playing an older game its more like "you should play what you actually enjoy" around here that's almost universally an older game though. Its not a bad concept. Its just pushing people to participate in what they actually want rather than sitting around whining and complaining all day. Which is something most pro players have been doing for whatever game they're playing since, well, forever. If we're being real (compared to games with actual living LAN scenes) nobody has shown up to Halo events in like a decade new or old. Seriously one of the problems Halo has is overwhelming negativity. Go use any of the tools to search websites or old vods etc at any point. Even at the height of Halo popularity the MLG forums were absolutely nothing if not overwhelmingly negative towards H3. Halo2sucks.com etc. Reach was a disaster. Halo 4 lol. MCC launch LOL. Halo 5. Remember Breakout? Pro League? There hasn't been a time that included mass online interaction that was considered good for Halo by the people talking about it while it was current mostly because people are most likely to be outspoken while upset. The direction we've been heading in is pretty obvious though

• Like (+1) 1

The fact we still don't have basic shit like spectator mode and working theater is a joke. Decade-old PC games have this, but apparently microsoft's flagship game can't?

Also if they want to be taken seriously on PC they really need a server browser and a decent UI, actual mod support instead of simply tolerating it would be nice too.

• Like (+1) 2

Must have forge and server browser at launch, this increases Halo's replayability and opportunity for content exponentially. 

• Like (+1) 6

8 hours ago, Commander Eagle said:

e3 has been heading this way for awhile and the corona scare pushed it over the edge.  MS and 343 have the ability to produce their own shows like nintendo and sony do so i would imagine they'll do the same here. in fact, i'd prefer a massive halo reveal stream vs it being shoehorned into an hour long show

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Craneteam said:

e3 has been heading this way for awhile and the corona scare pushed it over the edge.  MS and 343 have the ability to produce their own shows like nintendo and sony do so i would imagine they'll do the same here. in fact, i'd prefer a massive halo reveal stream vs it being shoehorned into an hour long show

I'd very much like this too. 

3 hours ago, Craneteam said:

i'd prefer a massive halo reveal stream vs it being shoehorned into an hour long show

Considering how mum they've been on all of this, regardless of how they unveil gameplay it's gonna be hype. 

I think competitive Halo's problem in terms of local scenes is that for most people it's more trouble than it's worth. Finding people interested in tournament gametypes, convincing enough people to come, gathering equipment, trying to figure out how to setup LAN on Xbox One, figuring out balanced teams, figuring out how audio is going to work, trying to get everyone to agree on a game.

It's exhausting. League, CS, and Dota all have the some of the same problems as well. But in those games everybody at least agrees on the settings, and if 0.01% of their audience is interested in LAN, that's still more people than all of Halo's population right now.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Silos said:

I think competitive Halo's problem in terms of local scenes is that for most people it's more trouble than it's worth. Finding people interested in tournament gametypes, convincing enough people to come, gathering equipment, trying to figure out how to setup LAN on Xbox One, figuring out balanced teams, figuring out how audio is going to work, trying to get everyone to agree on a game.

It's exhausting. League, CS, and Dota all have the some of the same problems as well. But in those games everybody at least agrees on the settings, and if 0.01% of their audience is interested in LAN, that's still more people than all of Halo's population right now.

Very much so. I've had mini-tournaments in hotel rooms in Smash Ultimate. It's just too damn easy to put together and keep it rolling all night long without any pauses. Unbeatable. 

But thats just local grassroots in Halo... as for online grassroots it's way easier to manage than it's ever been. As a long time fan of LAN - I prefer we focus on our quantity of online leagues/tournaments. That is truly where the growth will take place on the esports side of things. I've spoken with over a dozen people who are very very determined to have successful broadcasts with smoothly ran brackets in the next few months. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I find it funny how $102,000 was pumped straight into those Reach online exclusive tournaments with almost none of those streamers competing at Anaheim, and virtually none of them playing Halo anymore.  The decision making by HCS is just baffling to me.

Also there appears to be no reason to grind ranked CE at this time....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Squatting Bear said:

Also there appears to be no reason to grind ranked CE at this time....

Any particular reason you say that?  I mean, I know the matches are a bit of a shit-show at the moment but is there something else at play? 

It's the most unforgiving playlist there is in all of Halo so I get it. But there is definitely reasons. I'm having a blast! Dersky was smack talking me and we were tea bagging each other. The competitive fire came out!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

It's the most unforgiving playlist there is in all of Halo so I get it. But there is definitely reasons. I'm having a blast! Dersky was smack talking me and we were tea bagging each other. The competitive fire came out!

I've been watching hours of Elamite and Legend streams lately, and CE is just so much fun to watch.  It can be absolutely infuriating to play sometimes (especially overseas on minimum 90 ping), but it's fun to watch. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

I've been watching hours of Elamite and Legend streams lately, and CE is just so much fun to watch.  It can be absolutely infuriating to play sometimes (especially overseas on minimum 90 ping), but it's fun to watch. 

I spawn trapped some EU guys for about 2 minutes straight and the score reached about 35 to single digits when they said "NA servers are the worst". 

The servers were EU :lxthul:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

I spawn trapped some EU guys for about 2 minutes straight and the score reached about 35 to single digits when they said "NA servers are the worst". 

The servers were EU :lxthul:

You managed to play on an EU server?  I thought they were a myth.  I haven't seen anything besides US East since 2015. 

13 hours ago, Basu said:

The fact we still don't have basic shit like spectator mode and working theater is a joke. Decade-old PC games have this, but apparently microsoft's flagship game can't?

I would like to find the source to be certain, but I'm pretty sure a dev said that they couldn't remove grenade hitmarkers because they were too ingrained into the engine.

24 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

You managed to play on an EU server?  I thought they were a myth.  I haven't seen anything besides US East since 2015. 

I play really really early in the morning. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Trespa5s said:

Yeah the amount of CE being streamed lately is great. High level CE is a treat to watch even on this botched port. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1