CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

You know you're a Halo1 superfan when..

You know the pain of hoping that backpack reloading will make an intentional return to the franchise, only to be disappointed time and time again.

• Like (+1) 1

That face when you remember CE's multiplayer was made from scratch four months before release. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

That face when you remember CE's multiplayer was made from scratch four months before release. 

Halo's best multiplayer experiences were the rushed and accidental ones.

• Like (+1) 2

A botched campaign port with Reach multiplayer.  Yaaay.  

• Fire (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1
  • Salt (-1) 2

But are the issues it was having during flights worked out? Are the old MCC issues are still there? Basically worthless if they haven't fixed most of the issues, including the host issues. 

4 hours ago, OG Nick said:

But are the issues it was having during flights worked out? Are the old MCC issues are still there? Basically worthless if they haven't fixed most of the issues, including the host issues. 

Judging from the Reach launch, 90% of the bugs will remain and be swept under the rug.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd say its better but there will continue to be issues. No spread really felt better to me

A letter to the writer,

Your article is pretty on point. Unfortunately, you fail to realize that Bungie dropped Halo at its peak of popularity in 2008/2009. They designed Halo: Reach with Destiny in mind. Reach plays, feels, looks and behaves very much the same. Valve didn't do that with Counter Strike. Activision didn't do that with Call of Duty. id didn't give up on Doom, Wolfenstein or Quake.  Blizzard won't give up Overwatch. Epic won't do it with Fortnite. The Coalition with Gears of War. Hirez with Paladins. Ubisoft stayed true to the fans of Rainbow! Respawn with Titanfall/Apex. 

343 had to start over fresh. They were forced into a crap situation and have been digging themselves out.  In order to have a successful community you must first have a successful installment of your game. We milked Halo 3 for as much as we could. Now it is time for something new and fresh. It will take time to resurrect, grow, and develop into where we need to be but NEVER say never, Mr. GB Vanix. 

Best wishes, 

Knighty

• Like (+1) 8
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

Knighty

Literally half the entire point of the article is that we're not using older, better Halo tournaments on our own terms. Instead we sit with our hands out waiting for the next game and someone else to host a tournament. 

There aren't any true, growing, grassroots tournaments for Halo. Where the H2C tournaments at if it's accepted as the best 4v4 Halo? Why aren't we doing what Smash players do?

Also Activision dropped CoD Ghosts as the game to follow the overwhelming competitive success of BO2. This was followed by AW. 

The article even mentions tournaments for CSGO weren't common until a year after launch because that part of the community didn't accept it as superior to 1.6.

Did you even read it?

• Like (+1) 1

Every word. 

The point he made about Painkiller is very much what happened with Halo 4 to HCS to HWC. Although I admit AGL would've been way better off ignoring NBNS Reach and going straight to Halo 3. AGL 10 was supposed to be Halo 3.. but lets not go there. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Literally half the entire point of the article is that we're not using older, better Halo tournaments on our own terms. Instead we sit with our hands out waiting for the next game and someone else to host a tournament. 

There aren't any true, growing, grassroots tournaments for Halo. Where the H2C tournaments at if it's accepted as the best 4v4 Halo? Why aren't we doing what Smash players do?

Also Activision dropped CoD Ghosts as the Gabe to follow the overwhelming competitive success of BO2. This was followed by AW.  

The article even mentions tournaments for CSGO weren't common until a year after launch because that part of the community didn't accept it as superior to 1.6. 

Did you even read it? 

Jwalk hosted Halo 3 events for a really long time.

Beach Lan continues to run.

We had UGC Halo 2 tournaments last year and I'm pretty sure H2PC ran a tournament not that long ago?

None of them really get that much attention. The community simply doesn't care.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nokt said:

We had UGC Halo 2 tournaments last year and I'm pretty sure H2PC ran a tournament not that long ago?

I don't know where this community wide apathy comes from. 

No pros made consistent content. No organisation managers pushed for content. Famous names did fuck all to push the brand. 

Halo community is lethargic at best and downright toxic at worst. I only see passion for CE competitive but the nature of the way it plays makes it niche.

I don't know what it is about the Halo community but they just don't show up when they need to. 

2012 Columbus people were basically begging others to watch and participate. I remember the forums full of people saying they'll turn on ten screens at school just to bump viewership and it still only got above average.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Also Activision dropped CoD Ghosts as the game to follow the overwhelming competitive success of BO2. This was followed by AW. 

Did you even read it?

i think one of the biggest missed points is that h2 and h3 servers are offline meaning that lan is the only way to play them. its so much easier to have a growing community for easily accessible games. before mcc started functioning, the only way to play h2 and h3 were either couch coop or lan. there is no way to grow a community around that. cs 1.6 still has servers online. even smash has an ai mode to let you get the feel of the game. there is a lot that the pros and community couldve done and still should be doing in terms of content creation, but blaming us for moving to the next game is silly

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Nokt said:

Fun fact. Beachlan didnt get sponsored by 343 because it’s not not-grassroots enough for the grassroots program.  Total bullshit. Jwalk is the type of person that should be getting money and support for tournaments, not random ass 2hour notice minigame  invitational stream events. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Craneteam said:

i think one of the biggest missed points is that h2 and h3 servers are offline meaning that lan is the only way to play them. its so much easier to have a growing community for easily accessible games. before mcc started functioning, the only way to play h2 and h3 were either couch coop or lan. there is no way to grow a community around that. cs 1.6 still has servers online. even smash has an ai mode to let you get the feel of the game. there is a lot that the pros and community couldve done and still should be doing in terms of content creation, but blaming us for moving to the next game is silly

The halo3 servers are still online mate. They never went off. Stat trafking stopped in 2013, literally after halo4. 

Well I've been struggling to find a topic for a video... and boy do I have some words for this article's author.

Always remember boys, the casual everyday Halo player thinks we're a bunch of nerds that take the game too seriously and drain the fun out of the gameplay.  Never forget the core root of the problem.  Bungie created that culture of looking down on competitive Halo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1