CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Exidrion said:

idk he looks badass to me. Stellur the Wise.

He does look kinda middle earth ish.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

Fun Fact: I had to set all the service tags with a keyboard at the event so I memorized all the IDs.  Stellur wanted B, BB, or BEE because his gamertag used to be Bumble Bee. 

He is an absolute freak of a player. He is the only individual Sentinals is intimated by IMO

1 hour ago, Knighty Knight said:

Fun Fact: I had to set all the service tags with a keyboard at the event so I memorized all the IDs.  He wanted B, BB, or BEE because his gamertag was Bumble Bee. 

He is an absolute freak of a player. He is the only individual Sentinals is intimated by IMO

Are you talking about Stellur, or some new kid named Bumble Bee?

4 minutes ago, Sandman said:

so what now

That is a fantastic question.  Surely they're planning to run more events before Infinite.  If for no other reason than to test/refine PC some more. 

I hope not honestly. im bored of nostaligia. truth be told im hoping for a beta

1 hour ago, Trespa5s said:

That is a fantastic question.  Surely they're planning to run more events before Infinite.  If for no other reason than to test/refine PC some more. 

Surely? IDK. 

All the PC production issues (low resolution, screen tearing, etc) can be ironed out in a studio. The floor issues were just needing mixamps and keyboards/mice at every station.

Before the finals, when Shyway asked if the crowd was ready: 

8rczQTP.gif

11 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

Surely? IDK. 

All the PC production issues (low resolution, screen tearing, etc) can be ironed out in a studio. The floor issues were just needing mixamps and keyboards/mice at every station.

True, but I don't think they really want to go 8+ months without any sort of event.  I think we'll probably see a couple more before the end of the year.  Maybe a UGC event, and then Dreamhack Dallas or something.  

If we're really lucky then they'll put on some sort of invitational pre-launch for Infinite to show it off, but that's a bit of a long shot. 

18 hours ago, Craneteam said:

good vid from @Wonderboy going over some things he liks/dislikes from a broadcast perspective

Thanks for the share my friend. I hope I wasn't too critical at parts, I tried to remember that these were just snippets of the show as apposed to the entire show in the big picture, while still trying to critique aspects of shows I've been apart of previously

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Thanks for the share my friend. I hope I wasn't too critical at parts, I tried to remember that these were just snippets of the show as apposed to the entire show in the big picture, while still trying to critique aspects of shows I've been apart of previously

I was thinking about this, and to be honest, I don't think you were overly critical at all. Some of the ramblings the casters went on felt really awkward. Don't get me wrong I'm all for light hearted banter but when we're in the game, you can't be going on for 5 minutes about something irrelevant. There are times when the casters completely miss flag caps and you just get the old "well while we were rambling this team capped a flag!" Like cmon. Part of me thinks it's because these are old games, and everyone watching just gets the idea at this point. However there's always a chance someone new is watching, and if I'm tired of the reminiscing, I bet someone who has no idea what they're talking about is confused too. And don't get me started on how every. single. event. we hear about "ola being a wizard" or "snipedown or royal 2 putting on a show with snipe as usual."

What I'm trying to say is that at the end of the day, most people aren't going to consider the bigger picture, all they're going to care about is what we as the viewers see. Much the same way casters comment brutally on scenarios in game, despite not actually being in game or seeing the whole picture.

2 hours ago, Exidrion said:

Some of the ramblings the casters went on felt really awkward. Don't get me wrong I'm all for light hearted banter but when we're in the game, you can't be going on for 5 minutes about something irrelevant. There are times when the casters completely miss flag caps and you just get the old "well while we were rambling this team capped a flag!" Like cmon. Part of me thinks it's because these are old games, and everyone watching just gets the idea at this point. However there's always a chance someone new is watching, and if I'm tired of the reminiscing, I bet someone who has no idea what they're talking about is confused too. And don't get me started on how every. single. event. we hear about "ola being a wizard" or "snipedown or royal 2 putting on a show with snipe as usual."

Fair comment, i only privet to this when i think a game is boring for a viewer to watch and they dont want to hear play by play until their ears bleed. There is mass amounts of history in halo and the ones left watching are the hardcore fans so we need to dip into the memes, legacy and old terminology.

Flipside - i dont ever want to forcefully count a team out or degrade them intentionally (which i personally dont think anyone ever does), i never want to look like i couldn't give a fuck about their performance or treat them as irrelevant.

We just need a new game at this point for something new to talk about :huh:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheSimms said:

Fair comment, i only privet to this when i think a game is boring for a viewer to watch and they dont want to hear play by play until their ears bleed. There is mass amounts of history in halo and the ones left watching are the hardcore fans so we need to dip into the memes, legacy and old terminology.

Flipside - i dont ever want to forcefully count a team out or degrade them intentionally (which i personally dont think anyone ever does), i never want to look like i couldn't give a fuck about their performance or treat them as irrelevant.

We just need a new game at this point for something new to talk about :huh:

This actually shows sometimes. I don't remember the game but it was you and Walsh casting and it was over but you didn't want to say that so you instead went with "they have a chance" and you could just hear the smile in walshy's voice when he replied because he was just ready for the next game lol

I think it was a nexus koth towards the end of the event sometime. The losing team was just getting killed to the point that they basically would've needed perfect control of the last two side hills to turn it around and while that could happen it almost never does. That one you probably could've been a little more doubtful of their chance to succeed and it wouldn't have been disrespectful or wrong

I've seen UGC and their owner Matt dangle the possibility of an H2 LAN so many times now...I wouldn't give any value or merit to their Tweets.  They arent allowed to organize an event for the game unless they get the approval from HCS & 343i.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/27/2020 at 10:29 AM, Craneteam said:

good vid from @Wonderboy going over some things he liks/dislikes from a broadcast perspective

I thought the logo was an animal with his hands up but it's actually a sword

• Simms (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GunRanger said:

I thought the logo was an animal with his hands up but it's actually a sword

That’s not a sleeping bat with blue wings?

36 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

You know you're a Halo1 superfan when..

you refuse to play the game on any modern technology whatsoever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

You know you're a Halo1 superfan when..

2 hours ago, Squatting Bear said:

you refuse to play the game on any modern technology whatsoever.

Or you know the differences in reticle placement for nade tricks between splitscreen OG and fullscreen MCC.

• Like (+1) 2