CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

15 hours ago, Zavehi said:

There should be no Halo events until Infinite comes out. These nostalgia events have run their course. Reach isn't a good game, changing games every other event is not a strategy and nobody wants to actually invest in these events.

I don't know if I agree with this. I mean it's obviously not the ideal scenario, but if we're able to get a TO, a prize pool, and top-tier teams to play, then why not have events? I still enjoyed watching this weekend, and the viewership, while definitely not high, has not really been decreasing either. Again it's far from an ideal scenario, but I guess I just don't see the downside in having some entertaining events while we wait for Infinite.

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, Squatting Bear said:

So how many teams competed?

i think they said 50 team passes were sold at the beginning of the weekend

36 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

i think they said 50 team passes were sold at the beginning of the weekend

Thanks....

So does anyone know the number of teams that competed in bracket?

Damn what a great finale to the event that was. As Simms said it is great to see a team showing real emotion to a win like they actually care. I think all the guys on Sentinels are awesome players but do they ever even smile?

Seeing that event really makes me wish we could have a thriving Halo e-sports scene, unfortunately this is unlikely to happen because we need a title that is able to sustain a large and passionate player base. Halo as a franchise honestly has no hype surrounding it atm and does anybody in the world honestly think Infinite is going to be the title that brings Halo back?

Regardless, as long as Halo events exist I will continue to watch because I love the personalities and the players that go along with it. Big shout out to the casters this past weekend doing an awesome job despite the downtime and what appeared to be exhaustively long hours at times. Also same goes to our host Shyway, he makes a few mistakes here and there but the guy absolutely loves Halo and you can't fault that.

Also to anybody who sticks with Halo through thick and thin: Thank you so much, I love you and you are awesome.

• Like (+1) 5

10 hours ago, Champloo said:

Out of curiosity, was anyone using m/kb that placed well?

Nope. Both teams in the finals were all on controller, and as far as I can tell, there wasn't a single team in the Top 8 that had a single M/kb player. Kind of fucking ridiculous for PC Halo's first competitive event to be no different to Xbox events, except this one had no webcams and screen tearing for most of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Nope. Both teams in the finals were all on controller, and as far as I can tell, there wasn't a single team in the Top 8 that had a single M/kb player. Kind of fucking ridiculous for PC Halo's first competitive event to be no different to Xbox events, except this one had no webcams and screen tearing for most of it. 

Kind of ridiculous for the xbox players to play an xbox port with xbox controllers. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Fire (+1) 5
  • Toxic (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Squatting Bear said:

Thanks....

So does anyone know the number of teams that competed in bracket?

36 via Moses' twitter

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Kind of ridiculous for the xbox players to play an xbox port with xbox controllers. Absolutely ridiculous.

What's the point of playing it on PC if the only difference from the Xbox port is M/kb control options, when all the Top teams are the exact same teams as on Xbox and they all use Xbox controllers. The only thing this tournament bought was screen tearing, something the Xbox tournies haven't had. 

The First PC Halo event and its no different in anyway compared to the Xbox circuit. If they seriously want to pursue a PC Halo league they need to differentiate it from the console leagues and the easiest way to do so is lock which inputs are available. I can sort of understand why it was done for this event as it was more of a show event rather than an actual event, but the next PC events need to be M/kb exclusively.

What an incredible display of competition at the top. It hasn't felt like that in a long long time. I legitimately thought 6 teams had a chance at winning..

• Like (+1) 5

20 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

What's the point of playing it on PC if the only difference from the Xbox port is M/kb control options, when all the Top teams are the exact same teams as on Xbox and they all use Xbox controllers. The only thing this tournament bought was screen tearing, something the Xbox tournies haven't had. 

That probably isn't the route you'd want to take that argument. Just playing the game, with any peripheral, on a PC is a whole lot nicer than using an actual xbox for pretty much anyone. It should be obviously better for the viewership experience too but someone managed to fumble something along the way with the screen tearing you mentioned. That's not really an indictment against PC though someone just blew it 

Should be an H5 tourney before infinite. We had the nostalgia now go forward again

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 3

1 hour ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

PC can run capture software to make broadcasting easier. 

Dreamhack can just grab any PCs to do the trick, no need to buy or hire Xbox's.

MS accounts are easier to make on PC.

PC is technically the latest release.

PC's are faster.

Higher FOV.

As for controllers: As I said. Xbox players. Xbox port. When there's a viable PC Halo title you can expect nice but until then you'll just have to deal with players playing it the way it was meant to be played.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Snipe Three said:

That probably isn't the route you'd want to take that argument. Just playing the game, with any peripheral, on a PC is a whole lot nicer than using an actual xbox for pretty much anyone. It should be obviously better for the viewership experience too but someone managed to fumble something along the way with the screen tearing you mentioned. That's not really an indictment against PC though someone just blew it 

PC feels nicer due to higher frame rates. Anything higher than 60 FPS on PC introduces some pretty noticeable input lag, so playing it above 60 FPS is off the table, meaning that there is no Framerate, and therefore no smoothness advantage, of PC vs Xbox. 

25 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

PC can run capture software to make broadcasting easier. 

Dreamhack can just grab any PCs to do the trick, no need to buy or hire Xbox's.

MS accounts are easier to make on PC.

PC is technically the latest release.

PC's are faster.

Higher FOV.

As for controllers: As I said. Xbox players. Xbox port. When there's a viable PC Halo title you can expect nice but until then you'll just have to deal with players playing it the way it was meant to be played.

Until there's a viable PC Halo then they just shouldn't use it. Don't market a PC Halo event with taglines such as "Put your mouse and keyboard skills to the test" if no one playing it is going to be using a mouse and keyboard. I wanted to watch some competitive Halo with mouse and keyboard, as you'd expect to see when you tune into a PC FPS eSports event. 

Instead I got the same Top 8 teams, the same players, all using controllers. It's incredibly disappointing for me, I was so excited for comp Halo on PC and to see what the best players could do with a mouse and keyboard, but it became apparent as soon as I played Flight 3 that this game was never going to be played with a mouse if the controller and its broken aim assist were able to be used. 

I'm not going to be bothering watching any more PC Halo events if its not going to be restricted to M/kb. 

with players playing it the way it was meant to be played.

I guess the next Reach even will be played with a forced lowered crosshair, 78 FoV, 30 FPS cap, and a hideous film grain effect? After all, that's the way it was meant to be played.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

2 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Until there's a viable PC Halo then they just shouldn't use it. Don't market a PC Halo event with taglines such as "Put your mouse and keyboard skills to the test" if no one playing it is going to be using a mouse and keyboard. I wanted to watch some competitive Halo with mouse and keyboard, as you'd expect to see when you tune into a PC FPS eSports event. 

Instead I got the same Top 8 teams, the same players, all using controllers. It's incredibly disappointing for me, I was so excited for comp Halo on PC and to see what the best players could do with a mouse and keyboard, but it became apparent as soon as I played Flight 3 that this game was never going to be played with a mouse if the controller and its broken aim assist were able to be used. 

I'm not going to be bothering watching any more PC Halo events if its not going to be restricted to M/kb. 

I guess the next Reach even will be played with a forced lowered crosshair, 78 FoV, 30 FPS cap, and a hideous film grain effect? After all, that's the way it was meant to be played.

I can't argue against that. Pretty fair points all round.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Until there's a viable PC Halo then they just shouldn't use it.

I might agree, except this is  good way to test things out and find any debilitating flaws prior to Infinite.  I'd rather them try things out with Reach, instead trying to jump head first in with a brand new game that we NEED to succeed to keep this all going.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

The First PC Halo event and its no different in anyway compared to the Xbox circuit. If they seriously want to pursue a PC Halo league they need to differentiate it from the console leagues and the easiest way to do so is lock which inputs are available. I can sort of understand why it was done for this event as it was more of a show event rather than an actual event, but the next PC events need to be M/kb exclusively.

Not the first Halo event/tournament on PC:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

I am sure there would be atleast some mkb players, if it worked as it should. King nick was asked at analyst desk, if he plays with mkb. His answer was something like "i would, if it was more viable". 

Who woulda thought having input lag on mouse would make people not want to play mouse?

also locking the event for pc would be dumb unless the goal is to see worse halo than in south america and have 8 teams compete. “Wanting to see what the pc scene can do” is insane to me. Its not like there was a comp pc scene being deprived their chance to shine. You think the 1000 Colombians still playing halo ce pc in 2020 were waiting for this moment / that 3month old pc reach players would produce good gameplay? It was always going to be the same 32 players in top 8 even if it was keyboard only. Summit grinded for 3 weeks while being guided by pros and he was still ass at the end halo skill wise. 3months still wouldnt beat handicapped pros. 

A halo pc event includes more people than xbox just by definition. Thats all the reason you need to use PC. Theres no point in trying to compete in halo with a mouse if all events are xbox. 

• Like (+1) 2

You know what was really dumb this event? Shyway: "The players are ready, the map is loaded......let's take a 2 minute break every time I say that". Like at least it was consistent but WHAT?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

12 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

PC feels nicer due to higher frame rates. Anything higher than 60 FPS on PC introduces some pretty noticeable input lag, so playing it above 60 FPS is off the table, meaning that there is no Framerate, and therefore no smoothness advantage, of PC vs Xbox. 

I don't even mean just the game itself. You have to think for the people sitting at home, browsing whatever between games, checking discord or spotify etc using a PC is just more convenient all the way around. Even for those of us with a bit more of a setup it'll allow us to reclaim the desk space from the xbox. The xbox is pretty much done if you have a desktop capable of running the game unless there is something holding you back like a friend that only has a console. The reason playing the game on PC under any circumstance is better is fairly beyond which input devices we choose to use

15 hours ago, GunRanger said:

ERgr5gzUEAABPRU?format=jpg&name=large

That neckbeard makes him look like he’s 10 years older then he actually is he should shave it.

• Salt (-1) 1