CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

I swear sentinels was getting clipped constantly both these series. Triple kills galore and that over. Insane

Only one player who competed in Reach back in the day left in the finals, and it's Ace. Who would have thought? And only 2 competed in H2A in Spartan, & Eco. Rest are H5 kids.

• Thonking (+0) 1

3 minutes ago, theslatcher said:

And Ace wins another Reach event! With Spartan, Bubu, & Falcated winning their first events.

Bubu won an H5 event with Splyce (I believe the team was bubu, shottzy, renegade, and shooter)

Is there a definitive Halo esports calendar for the near future? Are there any other announced events like another Dreamhack or UGC? 

6 minutes ago, Commander Eagle said:

Bubu won an H5 event with Splyce (I believe the team was bubu, shottzy, renegade, and shooter)

Yeah, originally wrote without him, but just to be sure he got that 1 I checked the wiki and didn't see it, so added him back but was sure he had won one, so looked at wiki again and the fault was in the order of the events.

Overall I thought it was a pretty solid event.  Obviously the stream quality needs to be looked into, but other than that I thought NBNS was alright to watch.  

• Like (+1) 5

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to see an H2C event. I know that game isn't perfect on MCC but its the single game from the trio we haven't seen in all this time. Just one before Infinite pls

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

Overall I thought it was a pretty solid event.  Obviously the stream quality needs to be looked into, but other than that I thought NBNS was alright to watch.  

Definitely agree. Was a fun and competitive event with a lot of good games. The screen tearing was an issue all event but apparently that was the game not the stream. The one big issue was the delay on Friday because of the lack of true LAN. I really hope 343 learns from this and we get true LAN for infinite (no online sign-in required). Fortunately that happened on Friday, we would be singing a very different tune if the grand finals had been delayed for 4 hours.

There should be no Halo events until Infinite comes out. These nostalgia events have run their course. Reach isn't a good game, changing games every other event is not a strategy and nobody wants to actually invest in these events.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, ImperiumVII said:

Is there a definitive Halo esports calendar for the near future? Are there any other announced events like another Dreamhack or UGC? 

Not yet, but they've announced that they will have a full 12 month roadmap out when they do announce it.

Source.

Quote:  For Halo Infinite’s launch we are working towards locking and then announcing a full 12-month esports roadmap. This means that our goal is that before competition starts, all cities, dates, venues, rules, handbooks, formats, and more for those first 12 months will be publicly available and promoted. This is a massive undertaking and will be one of the most difficult things to accomplish but we’re currently on track to do just that.

Second source (more recent)

• Like (+1) 1

Just saw a tweet from Elamite, Ace coached Elamite to his H3 national championship win, now Elamite coached Ace to an event win. That’s pretty awesome.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Loved to see a different team win a tournament; parity is good for the scene.  My only serious issues/complaints are related to the stream.  Felt like 90% of this weekend's stream was downtime and counting down to the next match.  Quite a shame when you consider all the of excellent quality Reach content that the community has uploaded to Youtube since December.   I would've loved to have seen some of the better montages from 2011 as well but I understand that music copyright would be an issue.  My second biggest gripe is that the stream layout never ever shows which round of the bracket the match being played is currently in.  When I tune into the channel I have no idea if it's Loser's Round 7, Winner's Finals, Open Bracket, Grand Finals, etc.  The FGC & Smash communities have been  doing this correctly since 2010, why is it so difficult for whoever is in charge of the broadcasts for these events?  UGC, Dreamhack, 343i, are all guilty of this.

• Like (+1) 1

Couldn't let it sit for too long.  Here's a highlight reel of some of the stuff from this weekend. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Not yet, but they've announced that they will have a full 12 month roadmap out when they do announce it.

Source.

Quote:  For Halo Infinite’s launch we are working towards locking and then announcing a full 12-month esports roadmap. This means that our goal is that before competition starts, all cities, dates, venues, rules, handbooks, formats, and more for those first 12 months will be publicly available and promoted. This is a massive undertaking and will be one of the most difficult things to accomplish but we’re currently on track to do just that.

Second source (more recent)

Great, this means out of the box settings that probably won't be changed for a while. Hopefully theyre not shit

36 minutes ago, znot said:

Great, this means out of the box settings that probably won't be changed for a while. Hopefully theyre not shit

The settings can change without the format and venue changing?

8 hours ago, znot said:

@Clap has already put out a call for map testers to work for esports engine. they will probably make their own settings like they did with mlg back in the day

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Shekkles said:

The settings can change without the format and venue changing?

I know but I doubt it will happen. You know the excuses will come in, JUST PICK ONE GAMETYPE, we need SOMETHING to practice on. I'm sure they don't want to practice on settings that are constantly being changed like h5

1 hour ago, znot said:

settings that are constantly being changed like h5

The issue wasn't that the settings were changing in H5, it's that the *wrong* things were being changed.  Instead of leaving the power ups/weapons where the pros were happy with them, they'd change it, yet we were stuck using AR starts for two HWCs and it took 2.5 years to get SC/GP removed and the map pool refined. 

• Like (+1) 4

15 hours ago, Zavehi said:

There should be no Halo events until Infinite comes out. These nostalgia events have run their course. Reach isn't a good game, changing games every other event is not a strategy and nobody wants to actually invest in these events.

I would agree with this if I didn't want to see a H2C event so badly. I just can't stomach the idea that throughout all of the events that have taken place on MCC there hasn't been an actual H2 event yet. 

• Like (+1) 3