CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Impossible at this point. Was already basically impossible with Halo 5's beta, and that was 10 months out. It'll be a demo, guaranteed. Like 3's, Reach's, 5's. You're only getting meaningful changes within the first year or two of development. Not long after things are decided and a release date's locked.

Yeah, these flights are just glorified demos for the public to iron out bugs. If there's issues with baked in gameplay/map design decisions, it's already too late.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

demos for the public to iron out bugs. 

That is literally what a beta is

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

That is literally what a beta is

I know that. I'm mostly referring to that fact that massive gameplay overhauls will never happen after a beta.

If the game played like shit in the beta, it's gonna play like less buggy shit in the final product.

49 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

Massive gameplay overhauls

It'll be sprintfinite. FOR SURE.

• Downvote (-1) 1

4 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Impossible at this point. Was already basically impossible with Halo 5's beta, and that was 10 months out. It'll be a demo, guaranteed. Like 3's, Reach's, 5's. You're only getting meaningful changes within the first year or two of development. Not long after things are decided and a release date's locked.

I think we have different ideas as to what "meaningful changes" means.  Of course I'm not expecting them to completely remove an ability or add in a brand new weapon in under 4 months.  I'm talking about making tweaks to any potential abilities to balance them better, or maybe change parts of maps like they did for H5.  

20 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

Also, unless they're planning on having flight/beta that everyone can get into the surprise drop goes against their plan to use flighting as their testing because it'd be like "surprise! a quarter of people who signed up can play Infinite today!"

Not disputing that it sounds counter intuitive, but I don't see Infinite's public flighting starting before a demonstration of the game for all to see.  And 343 has to release hardware specs prior to flighting to ensure people can play it.  It would be odd for that kind of info drop occurring prior to E3, but I could be wrong.  

To follow the idea that 343 is going to start flighting before E3 and even before they officially show off the game: it would be an interesting experiment for 343 to let the game essentially market itself by just starting to invite people and letting them stream/capture and share the game, but realistically as Microsoft has a fairly sizable stake in the success of Halo it would be a potential risk to try something like that whereas E3 has been proven able to sell products.  The other possibility would be that Microsoft is going to host some kind of Xbox event before E3 to show Infinite and other stuff off, but there's been no indication of that thus far.  

21 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

I am very pleased. 

Full team matching doesnt mean what u think it means. Unless ur excited to pubstomp solo qs as a team of 3. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I have no idea why 343 can't just accept that solo queuing into actual teams of either 3 or 4 is toxic for the solo player and curtail the behavior rather than trying every idea under the sun to protect the queue times despite this problem causing queuing to begin with to be a waste of your life as a solo player when it happens to you. If they find enough people aren't playing for us to have appropriate games then they probably need to step back and figure out why they made a bad game that people aren't playing because the MM parameters aren't the issue at that point

Band-aids on bullet holes man

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Obnokshus said:

just means soloq gets rolled by 3's and not 4's now. 

Solos didnt match to4s before this update. 

before this update: to3-4 match. To1-2 match. 

now: to1,2,3 match. To4 match 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Riddler said:

Solos didnt match to4s before this update. 

before this update: to3-4 match. To1-2 match. 

now: to1,2,3 match. To4 match 

... Not sure if you're saying they wouldn't be against a TO3, but there has to be a solo on the same team as the party of 3. 

1 hour ago, Trespa5s said:

... Not sure if you're saying they wouldn't be against a TO3, but there has to be a solo on the same team as the party of 3. 

yeah. i just meant you weren't getting stomped by a to4 as a solo my bad. a solo+to3 vs a to4 is not the same as potentially 4 to1 vs a to3+solo. plus because it was like this, there were very few to3 because they just spent time getting a to4 to not be handicapped. 

to3 only matching to3 instead of a possible to4 would be an update that could be considered good. this update is really terrible

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Riddler said:

ur excited to pubstomp solo qs as a team of 3. 

I solo q and I'm pleased to not get to4s

• Like (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

I solo q and getting matched against to3s is basically a moot match.

39 minutes ago, Squatting Bear said:

I solo q and getting matched against to3s is basically a moot match.

Speak for yourself :lxthul:

• Thonking (+0) 1

21 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

I think we have different ideas as to what "meaningful changes" means.  Of course I'm not expecting them to completely remove an ability or add in a brand new weapon in under 4 months.  I'm talking about making tweaks to any potential abilities to balance them better, or maybe change parts of maps like they did for H5.  

"Maybe" in heavy airquotes. Currently? I doubt it. 

6 hours ago, Riddler said:

yeah. i just meant you weren't getting stomped by a to4 as a solo my bad. a solo+to3 vs a to4 is not the same as potentially 4 to1 vs a to3+solo. plus because it was like this, there were very few to3 because they just spent time getting a to4 to not be handicapped. 

to3 only matching to3 instead of a possible to4 would be an update that could be considered good. this update is really terrible

I dunno why we're hooked on the TO3 side of things being exclusive. A TO3 to a TO2 isn't as big a gap as a solo to any other segment, or a TO4 going down the scale.

TO1s should only match TO1s. TO4s should only match TO4s. And you could realistically meld TO2/3s.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

Agreed with this, and while a solo player matched against a To3 still can suck you also have a chance to be matched with a To3.

In a perfect and ideal world it wouldn't happen but we just do not have the player base right now for exact skill matching/full blown elo ranking (imo).

I still would love M&KB matching over this but again i don't think the player base is there to support it.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

TO1s should only match TO1s. TO4s should only match TO4s. And you could realistically meld TO2/3s.

How does that even work? If a To1 can not match any To3s how do you fill up 4 players on a team for a 4v4 playlist?
What you are saying just doesn't work out at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

How does that even work? If a To1 can not match any To3s how do you fill up 4 players on a team for a 4v4 playlist?
What you are saying just doesn't work out at all.

2 to3, 1 to2. U just split the to2 4head. 

i also disagree. Gap between to1 and to3 is bigger than to1+to3 vs to4. 

searching as a to3 is going to have a significant higher win rate than searching as a to1/2 now (and to1/2 pre update). 

if to3 could only match 2 to2, itd be better, but id still want to be the to3 

• Toxic (+1) 1

Idk why this has to be so complicated:

• to4 matches to4
  • to3 matches other 3s or two to2
  • I don't think a single to2 really need restrictions, but maybe 2s can only match other 2s (or as above 3+1 vs 2+2)

1 hour ago, Basu said:

Idk why this has to be so complicated:

• to4 matches to4
  • to3 matches other 3s or two to2
  • I don't think a single to2 really need restrictions, but maybe 2s can only match other 2s (or as above 3+1 vs 2+2)

1's need a rumble hopper dude. It's a complete waste of time to be searching and thrown into a to3 at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Obnokshus said:

1's need a rumble hopper dude. It's a complete waste of time to be searching and thrown into a to3 at all. 

You mean a soloq playlist? That's totally redundant if you can just have (working) party restrictions. Maybe they could add an option to tick "solos only", but given that 343 is really damn great at running populations into the ground I don't think this could work long-term.

• Upvote (+1) 1