CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

On 12/25/2019 at 10:17 PM, Humpflung said:

Not until M&K is the only thing people are playing on

I hope the last 3 pages of posts from you are trolling. The foolishness has made my head hurt.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheFloyd said:

I hope the last 3 pages of posts from you are trolling. The foolishness has made my head hurt.

He's always like this. Jumps into the thread every now and then to get a razzle before heading out. Some people's lives are just that empty.

• Like (+1) 1

Imagine a console oriented and designed shooter is going to transfer well into the PC market and thinking radical change will occur.

Your best bet is Halo Infinite accounting for MnK while designing weapons. and acknowledging bullshit aim assist quirks is no longer a viable balancing option in a cross play based world.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/23/2019 at 9:08 PM, Knighty Knight said:

MLG gave more than 2 months notice? I honestly don't remember ever getting much. 

from 2008 during the height of the pro circuit:

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/2008-pro-circuit-cities-and-dates-follow-up-2

the full year was lined up by feb which is short notice (2 months) for meadowlands but very nice for every event after. i searched from 2006-2010 and saw similar posts each year

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Craneteam said:

from 2008 during the height of the pro circuit:

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/2008-pro-circuit-cities-and-dates-follow-up-2

the full year was lined up by feb which is short notice (2 months) for meadowlands but very nice for every event after. i searched from 2006-2010 and saw similar posts each year

I'm probably thinking about 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and the off seasons 

2 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

I'm probably thinking about 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 and the off season then. 

i dont see anything for 2004, but iirc that was when they first started putting on events so i may be missing the announcements by filtering the mig site. 2005 (almost 2 month lead time for first event), 20062007 all had a season planned from the beginning. i wish we had something like that now bcause to get the time off, a flight, and a hotel with 2 moths or less for each event is getting absurd

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Proper planning as far as live events are concerned should always be addressed but I'd like to see a structured weekly online circuit again. Open to all non-pro teams and broadcast with commentators and a production team. There is so much we havent done yet in Halo with online tournaments. The Beyond FFAs and 1v1s were awesome to be a part of and it gives the community something to consistently look forward to.. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

Proper planning as far as live events are concerned should always be addressed but I'd like to see a structured weekly online circuit again. Open to all non-pro teams and broadcast with commentators and a production team. There is so much we havent done yet in Halo with online tournaments. The Beyond FFAs and 1v1s were awesome to be a part of and it gives the community something to consistently look forward to.. 

the double round robin esl pro league was really fun. i just wish that the top 8  from each event made it to the pro league or some other point system that didnt screw over AM teams. but the weekly halo twice a week was insanely enjoyable

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Knighty Knight said:

Really tough to do online tournaments for MCC with no way to neutral host custom games, no spectator/observer mode, and no Open API. 

23 hours ago, TheFloyd said:

why would I be trolling? Halo will never grow if people take it as a joke. 

• Downvote (-1) 4
  • Thonking (+0) 1

8 hours ago, Craneteam said:

the double round robin esl pro league was really fun. i just wish that the top 8  from each event made it to the pro league or some other point system that didnt screw over AM teams. but the weekly halo twice a week was insanely enjoyable

Yeah despite the fact that H5 was not my favorite Halo game, this format was incredibly fun for the viewers and I would love to see it brought back. It was amazing to get 2 guaranteed days every week of top-level halo.

But you're right that it is difficult to balance this and open events. If you make it so that you can only qualify for the finals through the pro league, it makes it so that non-pro teams don't have a chance. If you make it that there are still several spots available for qualification outside of the pro league, it dilutes the importance of pro league if the teams can just be guaranteed qualification through an open bracket anyways. If you try to put a large number of teams in pro league to try and avoid the issue, it dilutes the quality of play for the viewers when a top team faces a much poorer team (one of the best aspects of the 8-team pro league was that almost all matches were competitive).

I'm not sure what the best solution here is.

3 hours ago, Humpflung said:

why would I be trolling? Halo will never grow if people take it as a joke. 

Fighters, Madden, FIFA, Rocket League, Apex and Fortnite -  the biggest games in the competitive circuit all use controllers. It's not that big of a deal shhhh

PS. A Smite AM team using controllers beat a top Pro League team using KBM. A Paladins AM console team using controllers beat KBM players in our minor league and almost took a series from a world champion pro league team! 

CrossplAAy is here to stay.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Craneteam said:

happy new year's eve everyone

I forget I live in the future compared to the US. It's been 2020 for 10 hours here.

• Simms (+1) 1

so Puckett has left OWL. could we actually see a @Clapproduced hcs event with Puckett on the desk???

• Like (+1) 2

Something tells me not many teams will register to play in a 4v4 only event.  This Anaheim tournament might be the only major LAN for Reach we get.  

On 12/31/2019 at 12:49 AM, Knighty Knight said:

Fighters, Madden, FIFA, Rocket League, Apex and Fortnite -  the biggest games in the competitive circuit all use controllers. It's not that big of a deal shhhh

PS. A Smite AM team using controllers beat a top Pro League team using KBM. A Paladins AM console team using controllers beat KBM players in our minor league and almost took a series from a world champion pro league team! 

CrossplAAy is here to stay.

I wonder why you didn't bring up any of the much more mechanically demanding big boy tier one esports that no one in their right mind would play with a controller like CSGO, DotA 2, League of Legends, Rainbow Six, and even Overwatch. Instead you threw the tiny number of respectable "controller esports" (Rocket League and 2D Fighters) in with a bunch of joke casual games designed for 12-year-olds that only have "esports" scenes because boomer execs know it's a trendy growth industry and Hi-Rez Studios' watered down knock offs of better, more popular games. It's a real mystery to me why you would do that.

:walshy:

It will never stop being pathetic that grown adults have egos about playing games with objectively inferior input devices. It's fine to prefer playing games casually from your couch, but stop deluding yourself. No one is competing with an Xbox controller in a 3D shooter or a complex RTS/MOBA game unless the mechanical skill ceiling has been knee-capped to accommodate couch gamers. That's a fact.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1
  • Salt (-1) 7

6 minutes ago, Riddler said:

>Names biggest esport.

>not good enough

ok then

We can't act surprised at the response, though. It's expected from the galaxy brain goon squad.

• Fire (+1) 1

No one thinks controller>mouse for fps but you got to be doing a lot of mental gymnastics to think supporting controller is whats keeping a game (or halo) from being a major contender. Owl is the biggest money pit of all of esports. Quakes in the same place as halo now but for the past 10 years and i would say thats a mechanical game. 

• Like (+1) 5

46 minutes ago, arglactable said:

I wonder why you didn't bring up any of the much more mechanically demanding big boy tier one esports that no one in their right mind would play with a controller like CSGO, DotA 2, League of Legends, Rainbow Six, and even Overwatch. Instead you threw the tiny number of respectable "controller esports" (Rocket League and 2D Fighters) in with a bunch of joke casual games designed for 12-year-olds that only have "esports" scenes because boomer execs know it's a trendy growth industry and Hi-Rez Studios' watered down knock offs of better, more popular games. It's a real mystery to me why you would do that.

how they hell would you ever play dota or lol with a controller? not counting the amount of buttons needed, the entire way the game is made is around a mouse and keyboard. R6 and OW were made with both inputs in mind and csgo has full controller support. fair to bring those up. bringing up mobas is pretty stupid and doesnt help your point

57 minutes ago, arglactable said:

:walshy:

It will never stop being pathetic that grown adults have egos about playing games with objectively inferior input devices. It's fine to prefer playing games casually from your couch, but stop deluding yourself. No one is competing with an Xbox controller in a 3D shooter or a complex RTS/MOBA game unless the mechanical skill ceiling has been knee-capped to accommodate couch gamers. That's a fact.

The entire bolded part is actually hilarious. Grown adults don't have egos about their input devices nor do they care about anyone's ego in relation to video games at all. I'm not sure you can drop that line and come out looking like you have any self awareness at all. Not really trying to insult anyone that was just kind of crazy to read. Everyone has said some wild shit on this website at some point though I suppose lol

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, arglactable said:

you and me

dust 2 

ill use controller 

• Fire (+1) 1