CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

It's not the amount of options that are the problems.  They just botched H5's somehow.  Sure it can be  a bit confusing to learn the options, but if you take the 10 seconds to read the description or figure out what they do then the ability to fine-tune the aiming is welcome. 

• Like (+1) 1

All I ever asked for was an option for vertical. As for modern aiming, that was only needed for Halo 3 imo. 

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

All I ever asked for was an option for vertical. As for modern aiming, that was only needed for Halo 3 imo. 

Nah, its diagonal blew dick. Aiming needed a hardcore touch up that just a vertical wouldn't fix.

The H5 aiming settings felt like a last effort to let players sort out their aiming troubles by letting them tune a bunch of values they didn't understand very well. The fact that aiming was not consistent in H5 from game to game due to factors seemingly unrelated to moving a reticule around the screen was a red flag that settings were never going to improve things much in the best case, and in the worst case they'd confuse players into making things worse for themselves. It's one thing to read a description of a setting and understand basically what it does and it's another to understand how that translates to the feel of the game and how it fits your personal preferences. The changes are so subtle it's way too easy to headcase, have a couple good games, have a couple bad games, and misinterpret the result of the changes.

I don't mind those settings existing somewhere deep in the menus, but I doubt they had much of a positive impact in the end and were treated like a fix to a problem that couldn't be fixed with settings.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Nah, its diagonal blew dick. Aiming needed a hardcore touch up that just a vertical wouldn't fix.

I should have been a bit more specific. I wasn’t suggesting that all Halo 3 needed was a vertical option and it would be straight. Obviously its whole aiming system was fucked and needed a rework; hence modern aiming. 

I was just talking in general as far as aiming options are concerned.

Hey remember when a pro player said pressing start mid match periodically would fix the aiming and people thought he was just head headcasing, but it turned out to be true? 

Oh but I'm sure we're all TERRIBLE players who have never aimed in an FPS before. I never  thought of changing my multiple aim settings before someone typed it out. It's almost like you can still hit players consistently, but still recognize that something is very wrong, or even recognize sudden unexplainable whiplashes make anyone with half a brain scratch their head.

• Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, The Tyco said:

Hey remember when a pro player said pressing start mid match periodically would fix the aiming and people thought he was just head headcasing, but it turned out to be true? 

Oh but I'm sure we're all TERRIBLE players who have never aimed in an FPS before. I never  thought of changing my multiple aim settings before someone typed it out. It's almost like you can still hit players consistently, but still recognize that something is very wrong, or even recognize sudden unexplainable whiplashes make anyone with half a brain scratch their head.

Was there ever an explanation for that?

Tangentially related, I suspect that Reach's inverse flinch is causing me to constantly microadjust my aim with KB+M, something that controllers never have to concern themselves with. I'm getting higher into the mlg playlist and the discrepancy is growing. Don't think my shot is terrible but i'm getting 5'd with consistency i cannot match. 

8 hours ago, NavG123 said:

Was there ever an explanation for that?

Other than acknowledgement of its existence and a fix, I don't think 343 ever explained why.

I remember the day that it became apparent that the amount of REQs on an account could affect the aiming. I don't remember how I felt during that moment (must have been repressed) but now it does bring a chuckle.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Frostbite XV2 said:

I remember the day that it became apparent that the amount of REQs on an account could affect the aiming. I don't remember how I felt during that moment (must have been repressed) but now it does bring a chuckle.

I remember that was one of those moments where I knew I'd never love this game, no matter how hard I tried.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

I remember that was one of those moments where I knew I'd never love this game, no matter how hard I tried.

I caught that feeling as well, about halfway through the reveal trailer when I watched The Power Rangers Spartans basically skiing down a mountain in cartoonish fashion. 

• Like (+1) 1

So, the game awards are tomorrow night.  Xbox also said they had two more games to talk about before the end of the year back at XO19.  What do we think the odds are of seeing some Infinite news at the ceremony? 

12 hours ago, Frostbite XV2 said:

you know a game is bad when the microtransactions make it pay to lose

• Like (+1) 4

I heard rumblings that the amount of content you have on your online profile is slowing most games down.. it's the wave of the future boys! 

*goes back to 15FPS H1*

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

I heard rumblings that the amount of content you have on your online profile is slowing most games down.. it's the wave of the future boys! 

*goes back to 15FPS H1*

Does this mean the amount of games you have? Or things like recordings, screenshots, and achievements, etc?

So apparently i'm the only one that has thought "man i wish there were more options for look settings" in previous Halo games?  I have always wished for vertical settings and half sensitivities as far back as i could remember.  Halo 3 especially, but Halo 5 was the first one that REALLY needed them.  The number of options that MCC has now is perfect frankly.  I think Titanfall 2 is a little overboard with the mass of options they give for example, but MCC is perfect.  Horizontal and Vertical sense, classic/modern, acceleration and deadzones.

My problem with the Mythic playlist is mainly that i feel it would play better with the magnum instead of the H2 BR.  That gun is kind of a joke.

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

*goes back to 15FPS H1*

If this explains why some of my smurf accounts seemed to have better frame rates instead of me needing to restart my PC and play with stuff I'm going to be slightly tilted. I did notice a difference I just didn't think it had anything to do with which profile I was using. Hopefully I didn't waste a ton of time with MSI afterburner among other things

6 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

So apparently i'm the only one that has thought "man i wish there were more options for look settings" in previous Halo games?  I have always wished for vertical settings and half sensitivities as far back as i could remember.  Halo 3 especially, but Halo 5 was the first one that REALLY needed them.  The number of options that MCC has now is perfect frankly.  I think Titanfall 2 is a little overboard with the mass of options they give for example, but MCC is perfect.  Horizontal and Vertical sense, classic/modern, acceleration and deadzones.

My problem with the Mythic playlist is mainly that i feel it would play better with the magnum instead of the H2 BR.  That gun is kind of a joke.

On one hand, yeah I agree that H2 BR is a joke weapon with little to no competitive merit behind its functionality and TtK, but on the other hand the strong as fuck strafing amplifies H5's aiming issues and makes the H2 BR a necessary evil.

Personally, I'd love these settings with a 4 Shot Magnum or Gunfighter, where the extra lethality would make up for the lack of ease of use. But H5's aiming holds this game mode back the most, I'm afraid.

• Like (+1) 3

Just dropping by to say if you fucker don't stop using controllers the franchise and the legitimacy it could have been on PC is deader than fucking dead and a laughing stock. Could give a fuck what the pros think. It's time to move the fuck on. 

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1
  • Salt (-1) 9

1 hour ago, Humpflung said:

Just dropping by to say if you fucker don't stop using controllers the franchise and the legitimacy it could have been on PC is deader than fucking dead and a laughing stock. Could give a fuck what the pros think. It's time to move the fuck on. 

That's up to 343, not the playerbase.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Appealing to honor rules has never worked. Hey, if no one used their cancerous armor abilities and paced their shots vanilla Reach might actually be a fun experience right? It's delusional to not expect players to use any possible game mechanic to their advantage. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Humpflung said:

i would agree but gears and cod seem to be doing well in their space. blame the game not the platform

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Humpflung said:

Says the guy who searches 1v1 and then quits out after going down 4 frags and finding out he was losing to mouse and keyboard.

If you spent more time practicing instead of raging you might actually get better.

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 6
  • Toxic (+1) 1