CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

Just now, Basu said:

Same! Even though we got the way worse CoD/Reach XP system instead of the H3 one (where you actually had to win to get XP) this will add some much needed longevity to MCC. Ranked is a ghost town and social matches feel utterly meaningless. The first three games might be timeless classics, but they're competing with 50 other FPS that have insanely addictive skinner box XP systems so it's a good move to add this to MCC as well.

Exactly.  Agree to disagree on the format of the XP system (I prefer what they're going to be using over H3's), but as a whole it's an extremely welcome addition and is going to actually make me want to play a shit ton again. 

31 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

They're just hyping the game to sell copies. Nobody that actually played the entire series is really about to put Reach on the classic list unless they consider every game in it one. Its just marketing nonsense 

But i've never yelled so loud

17 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Plot twist: Flawless launch.

Hopefully 343 can subvert my expectations in a good way.

46 minutes ago, Hully said:

Hopefully 343 can subvert my expectations in a good way.

If not they can just get a few more o' these boys

depositphotos_149754626-stock-photo-gene

15 hours ago, znot said:

Also who caught the bit in the trailer where it says "A HALO CLASSIC"?

I screamed at my monitor!! REACH IS NOT A HALO CLASSIC

Reach is a classic *campaign*

• Simms (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

Why do the gamertags all have numbers at the end like they're discord handles or something? 

i believe they are going blizzard style so that you can get whatever tag you want without conflict

39 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

Why do the gamertags all have numbers at the end like they're discord handles or something? 

I think Xbox added a system like that a while ago, where if someone had the GT you wanted you could still use that GT, but it would put a series of numbers after it similar to discord. I remember hearing about it, but I haven't actually seen anyone with a tag like that yet. 

2 minutes ago, Chroma XV said:

T2 is crushing the cardigan look. Good for him. 

he looks like he was in the hospital ward...

24 minutes ago, Hully said:

I think Xbox added a system like that a while ago, where if someone had the GT you wanted you could still use that GT, but it would put a series of numbers after it similar to discord. I remember hearing about it, but I haven't actually seen anyone with a tag like that yet. 

They announced that at... E3 or gamescom I want to say? Completely forgot about it.

30 minutes ago, theslatcher said:

They announced that at... E3 or gamescom I want to say? Completely forgot about it.

So did I. I assumed I'd be seeing tags like that all over the place within a few weeks, but I don't think I've ever seen one. I still play a lot on Xbox too. 

5 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

It update is pushing out today, yes, but it seems like the numbers are supposed to mimic a discord-like system and don't show up in the actual game so not sure what's going on  https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/11/15/november-2019-xbox-update-rolling-out-today/

“Next up is the new display option. Gamers can now choose a gamertag of their liking, even if that name is already taken by someone else. If the gamertag you want has already been taken by another user, Xbox will now auto-assign an ID suffix of numbers after a #-symbol to keep everybody unique, so there’s never any question about who’s who. We’ll even change the suffix font size to keep the focus on the name you chose. For example, if you want to be “Doctor Hoot,” and it’s already taken, you could now be assigned “Doctor Hoot#1056.”

Games are currently required to show the suffix while you play. You will also see the suffix in out-of-game experiences like the console UI or Xbox Game Bar so each player has a unique, visible identity while still representing themselves the way they want.”

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

“Next up is the new display option. Gamers can now choose a gamertag of their liking, even if that name is already taken by someone else. If the gamertag you want has already been taken by another user, Xbox will now auto-assign an ID suffix of numbers after a #-symbol to keep everybody unique, so there’s never any question about who’s who. We’ll even change the suffix font size to keep the focus on the name you chose. For example, if you want to be “Doctor Hoot,” and it’s already taken, you could now be assigned “Doctor Hoot#1056.”

Games are currently required to show the suffix while you play. You will also see the suffix in out-of-game experiences like the console UI or Xbox Game Bar so each player has a unique, visible identity while still representing themselves the way they want.”

OK I didn't see that since I didn't click through that second linked post.  Still doesn't explain why it doesn't show the "#" and the numbers are the same size as the rest of the tag. 

Just now, Trespa5s said:

OK I didn't see that since it was in the linked post.  Still doesn't explain why it doesn't show the "#" and the numbers are the same size as the rest of the tag. 

Yeah, instead of Gamertag1234 it’s Gamertag#1234.  Revolutionary stuff.  

• Simms (+1) 1

Just now, Boyo said:

The second half of my sentence also mentions different sized font so you can actually read it on top of the "#" breaking up the tag, both of which make it easier to read.

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

This seems so redundant to me. Why would anyone want to be Gamertag#1234 when they could instead choose what they want after the word Gamertag. Like I'd so much rather be xGamertag or Gamertag 14 than a hashtag with a bunch of random numbers. 

@Trespa5s

Making a unique ID less unique does make it easier to read but harder for it to perform its actual function, which to to uniquely identify each player.  

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

@Trespa5s

Making a unique ID less unique does make it easier to read but harder for it to perform its actual function, which to to uniquely identify each player.  

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  If you're saying you prefer the current system then I agree, but also understand that there's a lot of dead tags and this is a good way of freeing things up.

It's also gonna be a non-issue when games aren't forced to show the numbers at the end but for now having a bunch of random numbers with no marking to separate the tag from the numbers just looks ugly imo.  

1 minute ago, Trespa5s said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  If you're saying you prefer the current system then I agree, but also understand that there's a lot of dead tags and this is a good way of freeing things up.

It's also gonna be a non-issue when games aren't forced to show the numbers at the end but for now having a bunch of random numbers with no marking to separate the tag from the numbers just looks ugly imo.  

are they phasing out the charge for it? Because part of the whole draw was being unique... You are literally paying to have a single GT no one else can have. Though I guess this fact still stands, you are unique. Everyone else will have the [TINY NUMBERS NEXT TO THEIR NAME] either ingame or in the xbox guide.

But still, it's insane paying for a change when I can get it free on Steam and BattleNet and now xbox has almost the same mechanic and you still pay.

1 minute ago, Trespa5s said:

It's also gonna be a non-issue when games aren't forced to show the numbers at the end

Yeah, it will just devalue cool tags and make clever ones less memorable, just so people don’t actually have to think of something unique to call themselves.  I look forward to playing against hordes of Snipedowns and Walshys.