CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

14 hours ago, Infinity said:

I couldn't agree more – 4,000+ word blog posts promising "unity" and a strong "vision" mean nothing when Halo games continue to be unable to sustain a healthy population 3 months after launch.

The root of the issue continues to be the game(s) itself.

MCC release was a nightmare, Halo 5 suffered from stubborn developers and an identity crisis spanning 3 years, and the MCC reboot/PC release is fueled by nostalgia from players who will not play for more than 10 hours of MP after purchasing.

I will continue to believe that Halo needs to present an experience that can be enjoyed and sustained by multiple parties – spectators, streamers, competitors, campaign players, casual MP fans, etc. I'm not saying we all need to be playing the same game (universal settings, etc.), but treating Halo esports as one tiny sliver of a massive pie isn't going to cut it any longer.

Real unity will come from a game we all truly enjoy playing and watching. MCC will never deliver that as a 6-in-one package. Infinite is our last hope, and I'm worried about what they are cooking up.

Yeah really a fun game is all anyone wants here. Its crazy how we write essays back and forth to each other, 343 included, and yet the point is missed over and over and they just don't make games people want to play

• Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

Yeah really a fun game is all anyone wants here. Its crazy how we write essays back and forth to each other, 343 included, and yet the point is missed over and over and they just don't make games people want to play

The day 343 participates in that "essay writing", I will petition that to be a national holiday.

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

7TQsbBe.gif

The gif ends too soon. Later on 343 go through that bin and take all the actual garbage they can find and ship it in the next game.

• Like (+1) 1

Glad Halo is getting some shine on Twitch Rivals. Hopefully more to come soon.

15 hours ago, Boyo said:

I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it for the past decade, that there's something wrong with the game. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to this forum.  Do you know what I'm talking about?

:thinking::wutface::simms:

8 hours ago, Craneteam said:

First line up of pros fro twitch rivals

wondoer how sreaming is from jail for t2

oh sick so the man in jail gets access to the Reach flight but I don't? smh my head bungie

i got in the flight

Good to see everyone's brimming with just as much optimism as I am.

Build a solid game with solid competitive foundations that allows for different community groups to play how they want. That's how Halo became as large as it was, versatility without throwing everyone into a box.

Not a nostalgia-fueled cash grab.

• Like (+1) 2

In not entirely unrelated thoughts, Thescore esports just dropped a new video about CS, and the opening half is actually rather intriguing when you compare it to Halo.  A game that everyone loved, with a sequel that was great, followed by a wicked down slope.  Now it's 343's turn to see if they can bring Halo back with Infinite like Valve did with CSGO (specifically through actually making necessary changes). 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel like I've been hearing about a Halo TV show for like 10 years at this point.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Hully said:

I feel like I've been hearing about a Halo TV show for like 10 years at this point.

It's been so long since we've heard anything I legit forgot it was happening.  

3 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

So what do you think the odds are that we'll hear some Halo news at XO19 next weekend? 

“Soon”:1

• Like (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

So what do you think the odds are that we'll hear some Halo news at XO19 next weekend? 

To keep me mentally stable, I'm betting we don't hear anything until E3

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FeaR said:

To keep me mentally stable, I'm betting we don't hear anything until E3

Yea I'm willing to bet we get some more lip service about them "being excited to show it off when the time comes" and no actual footage but I can hope. 

49 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

Yea I'm willing to bet we get some more lip service about them "being excited to show it off when the time comes" and no actual footage but I can hope. 

Totally forgot about MCC... I would be surprised if we don't get a reach release date tbh

2 hours ago, FeaR said:

Totally forgot about MCC... I would be surprised if we don't get a reach release date tbh

Doubt it, the game is still in flighting and I imagine this current flight will be extended once the patch comes out

33 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

It's weird to think that at this point in H5's cycle we had seen full matches of gameplay already. 

I’m not even sure I care anymore.  I flushed $500 down the toilet on an Xbox one for MCC.  Not sure I’m ready to do that again even if the game looks good.  

• Like (+1) 1

Well the game will certainly look good because they actually listened to the complaints about the gross art style and sound direction. H4 also looked good during the initial reveal and I remember people going into slow-motion and zooming in on the Spartan's feet "omg guys the strafe looks crisp".

What counts if it will play decently, if the maps won't be shit for once, if there will be party restrictions and a working ranking system etc. Mostly things we can only judge days/weeks after the game actually launches.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/8/2019 at 12:33 PM, Cursed Lemon said:

The day 343 participates in that "essay writing", I will petition that to be a national holiday.

Dont u remember when they wrote that immersion is worth breaking game balance for? Oof. Impossible to write essays when your game design philosophy is terrible. 

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Riddler said:

Dont u remember when they wrote that immersion is worth breaking game balance for? Oof. Impossible to write essays when your game design philosophy is terrible. 

I do remember that being literally the only time a Halo dev has ever attempted discourse at length on this forum or with this specific community, so I guess a tiny amount of credit there to Josh, but it's pretty well neutralized for not having the contextual wherewithal to realize you shouldn't tell a community of competitive Halo players that you're stylizing the gameplay according to lore and trend-chasing instead of what's best for the game.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1