CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2020 Discussion Thread

On a similar note, I've been watching a good bit of Street Fighter streams lately and it's really cool to see how much Capcom promotes their competitive scene.  Right down to the loading screens before a match advertising their Pro League and upcoming events.  Basic, in-game stuff like that can really help a scene. 

1 hour ago, Trespa5s said:

On a similar note, I've been watching a good bit of Street Fighter streams lately and it's really cool to see how much Capcom promotes their competitive scene.  Right down to the loading screens before a match advertising their Pro League and upcoming events.  Basic, in-game stuff like that can really help a scene. 

It can also get really annoying fast. They don't need to rub it in your face every minute like SFV does.

1 minute ago, The Tyco said:

It can also get really annoying fast. They don't need to rub it in your face every minute like SFV does.

I mean I'd rather that so it can potentially reach new players rather than just a static image of a map.  

24 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

I mean I'd rather that so it can potentially reach new players rather than just a static image of a map.  

I'm pretty sure a promotion on the title screen would suffice. SFV goes way to far into obnoxious territory.

I'd rather the integrity of the game to be respected.

Putting ads everywhere for the esports doesn't hurt it's integerity lmao.

3 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Putting ads everywhere for the esports doesn't hurt it's integerity lmao.

They don't need to advertise it every 2 minutes in game, which is what it does. I don't need to be advertised to by Ad based skins while I play. Fuck that disruptive noise. Nobody needs to be reminded of that shit that often. Please explain how it doesn't hurt the integrity of the game when it constantly shoves it in your face.

As simple message promoting the league on the title screen is fine, but infecting the ENTIRE experience with that garbage crosses a line. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

They don't need to advertise it every 2 minutes in game, which is what it does. I don't need to be advertised to by Ad based skins while I play. Fuck that disruptive noise. Nobody needs to be reminded of that shit that often. Please explain how it doesn't hurt the integrity of the game when it constantly shoves it in your face.

As simple message promoting the league on the title screen is fine, but infecting the ENTIRE experience with that garbage crosses a line. 

Advertising an upcoming event to watch (like the Canada Cup this weekend), and pushing skins are two ENTIRELY different things.  I'm with you that I'm not a huge fan of being pestered into putting more money into the game, but to have a splash screen for the 10 seconds that the match loads saying "hey, Dreamhack Dallas is this weekend watch it at X" is perfectly fine imo.  

I will concede there's a middle ground.  If you start flashing the advertisement 2 month in advance then people tune it out and end up, ironically, forgetting the date.  To have something like that for the, say, two weeks right before it happens is perfectly reasonable and should be encouraged imo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

Advertising an upcoming event to watch (like the Canada Cup this weekend), and pushing skins are two ENTIRELY different things.

Not when that skin is literally advertising the league as I play. Not different at all.

The integrity of the league isn't hurt by advertising that much. If anything incentives to tune in for 5 minutes does more harm because it inflates numbers.

@Trespa5s

When I was in elementary school, twice a year we had these writing exams where we we given a subject we had to write about for a few hours.  I thought I wrote a banging essay but was given a 0 for it.  When I inquired as to why, I was told my essay was off topic and didn’t follow the prompt.  It didn’t matter how good my essay was, it wasn’t about the topic at hand.  

That’s where Halo is.  It doesn’t matter if they made the best third person, cover based shooter or side scroller or top down RPG.  That’s not what Halo is and will be criticized accordingly.  

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

@Trespa5s

When I was in elementary school, twice a year we had these writing exams where we we given a subject we had to write about for a few hours.  I thought I wrote a banging essay but was given a 0 for it.  When I inquired as to why, I was told my essay was off topic and didn’t follow the prompt.  It didn’t matter how good my essay was, it wasn’t about the topic at hand.  

That’s where Halo is.  It doesn’t matter if they made the best third person, cover based shooter or side scroller or top down RPG.  That’s not what Halo is and will be criticized accordingly.  

Which is fine.  As I pointed out, it's fine to say "this doesn't work, here's why."  Just keep in mind that if you're not going to play it because it's "not Halo," you may miss out on an otherwise fantastic game.  Now obviously there's some range with it too.  Obviously entirely switching from FP to TP would be as ridiculous as making it a Mario-esque platformer.  But to entirely give up on the game and claim it's a "terrible game" because you can sprint and clamber is equally as ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1

If you ordered a steak and they brought you fish, it might be delicious but it’s not what you ordered.  If I wanted fish I would be at a seafood restaurant and not a steak house.

Of course, how much change is too much is subjective but I think you are wrong to say people are ridiculous for not enjoying Halo when it tries to be something it’s not.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Of course, how much change is too much is subjective but I think you are wrong to say people are ridiculous for not enjoying Halo when it tries to be something it’s not.  

I'm not saying that at all.  People are free to dislike whatever they want.  I'm saying it's ridiculous to completely write off a game as being a *BAD* game because it's different or adds a mechanic that isn't popular.  I DESPISE GP/SC and was so god damn happy when it finally got removed, but I didn't boycott Halo and call it trash.  

I guess what I'm saying is that a game can be a "bad" game within a series but still be an objectively good game and people shouldn't write off good games because they don't match what they were expecting. 

If Halo games shouldn’t be compared to Halo then they should be compared to the games they are trying to imitate.  Was Halo 4 better than call of duty?  Was Halo 5 better than titanfall?  

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

I DESPISE GP/SC and was so god damn happy when it finally got removed, but I didn't boycott Halo and call it trash.  

Why did you keep playing a game you didn’t enjoy?

• Like (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

Why did you keep playing a game you didn’t enjoy?

Because I did enjoy it? It's possible to dislike certain mechanic and still enjoy the game as a whole...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Trespa5s said:

Which is fine.  As I pointed out, it's fine to say "this doesn't work, here's why."  Just keep in mind that if you're not going to play it because it's "not Halo," you may miss out on an otherwise fantastic game.  Now obviously there's some range with it too.  Obviously entirely switching from FP to TP would be as ridiculous as making it a Mario-esque platformer.  But to entirely give up on the game and claim it's a "terrible game" because you can sprint and clamber is equally as ridiculous. 

I'm not sure that's actually ridiculous at this point. I think it would have been before we had tried it but, honestly, you kind of deserve to be laughed out of the room if you mention making a sprint based Halo while simultaneously trying to pull on nostalgia until someone proves it can work well. I'm not saying games can't work with sprint just that when you slap Halo on the title you set an expectation. One that hasn't been met by 343 yet. We have many examples of it not working and destroying map flow/design and zero where it works well within the classic Halo formula. Maybe its possible to have both but within the context of Halo you choose one of either sprint/armor ability gameplay or good Halo gameplay with all current products. So far all attempts at merging them haven't really been met with the most enthusiastic of praise. If history has anything to say its that it won't work and the game won't be good. I'd love to be proven wrong because then I'd have a new fun game to play

• Like (+1) 3

I think a good starting point would be to increase the base speed as well as the movement acceleration to allow for better strafing.  If you tune it so that you can get around the map without feeling like you're trudging through molasses then sprinting becomes something to use in specific situations instead of the default way to move around.  Again, it's perfectly fine to not like sprint or to have issues with it.  I was just trying to get the idea across that just because a game may not be "good" relative to the other games in the series, that doesn't mean that it's a "trash" game in general.  

1 hour ago, Trespa5s said:

If you tune it so that you can get around the map without feeling like you're trudging through molasses then sprinting becomes something to use in specific situations instead of the default way to move around.

Sprint will never work in arena halo.  All players always moving at the same speed allows for a level of predictability that players can rely on.  One base movement speed allows for maps to be designed without no mans land that needs to be sprinted through.  In BTB, there are more players, which lowers the ability to predict enemy positions, as well as vehicles which naturally create no mans land for infantry so sprint is less detrimental to gameplay there.  Making Sprint an Armor Ability, and not a base trait, is necessary in order to allow it in BTB but not arena.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Ninety percent sure you're a 343 employee

You can call me squally.  

Day before an info drop, feels like we've been here too many times...

Here's hoping the announcement is good and gives us lots to look forward to.  

:prayers: