CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

23 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

So, you're telling me you don't like some freak randomly tossing a nade and knowing exactly where you were without seeing you? Preposterous. 

Tell that to 343i

7 hours ago, JORGE said:

I wish there were more maps for H2A, because I feel like that's a decent middle ground between H3 and H5.

Feels like a classic Halo in terms of movement/setups/weapons (screw nade hitmarkers and weapon timers) while not having BR spread like H3 does. IMO the CLG vs EG matchups in H2A were some of the most entertaining Halo series ever.

I have one major issue with H2A besides the ones you mentioned... the sniper. It is WAY too easy to use (arguably even more so than H5). This not only makes great sniper plays less exciting (because anyone can make them), but also allows for a team to completely lock down an entire map like Sanc with almost no effective counter if they manage to get both snipers. The difficulty of the sniper is one of the absolute best features about H3, which significantly adds to its competitiveness and its spectator experience.

1 hour ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Halo 2 Anniversary MP art style is fucking awful.  The Campaign however easily has the best art style in the entire franchise.

Agreed.

Picture the same campaign visual remaster on all (of the good) original H2 maps where the game plays exactly as you remember :simms: it like it does in the campaign. That is the H2A the world deserved.  

1 hour ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Halo 2 Anniversary MP art style is fucking awful.  The Campaign however easily has the best art style in the entire franchise.

HARD disagree on the MP art style, I thought it was awesome (to each their own though).

19 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

HARD disagree on the MP art style, I thought it was awesome (to each their own though).

I think its pretty however it suffers from some of the same sort of glare along with certain colors or silhouettes blending into the surroundings just like in H4/H5. I really want everything to try and nail what Halo 3 did where you just instantly saw everything relevant in nearly every situation at a glance. All of the colors just pop and nothing really gets lost in the visual noise unlike pretty much every other game in the series at times. I'm not even really sure how to describe it but whoever decided on the visual direction for H3 is a genius. It works so well for an FPS

10 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I think its pretty however it suffers from some of the same sort of glare along with certain colors or silhouettes blending into the surroundings just like in H4/H5. I really want everything to try and nail what Halo 3 did where you just instantly saw everything relevant in nearly every situation at a glance. All of the colors just pop and nothing really gets lost in the visual noise unlike pretty much every other game in the series at times. I'm not even really sure how to describe it but whoever decided on the visual direction for H3 is a genius. It works so well for an FPS

Very much this. 

No more shaky cam or blinding lens flare for the love of all that is holy.

Yeah, so I think H3 would be loads more interesting to spectate if I could more consistently tell how many shots hit a player. I'm guessing that could be achieved via hitmarkers or just by having a more consistent BR.

Halo 2 is my favorite to play, so I think that might be why I have that strong preference for consistent BR performance. Which probably ties into why I enjoy spectating H5 to some degree due to the consistent magnum, where you can easily tell how many shots out of five a player has taken.

2 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

Easy agree. MP and campaign were both great, but I have a thing for the sexiness of MP assets. Good way to have detail without losing it due to overdesign. And they even kept Halo 2's style of stony Forerunner assets for everything but one map. Of course, while I think the weird shift to stone was dumb, the actual assets themselves were cool. 

Just now, Cu Master said:

Yeah, so I think H3 would be loads more interesting to spectate if I could more consistently tell how many shots hit a player. I'm guessing that could be achieved via hitmarkers or just by having a more consistent BR.

Halo 2 is my favorite to play, so I think that might be why I have that strong preference for consistent BR performance. Which probably ties into why I enjoy spectating H5 to some degree due to the consistent magnum, where you can easily tell how many shots out of five a player has taken.

Probably. Given it isn't fun to watch two sponges smack each other with sometimes little to no feedback during fights. Of course, consistency would alter the course of gameplay past just basic feedback for the users in a beneficial way.

Lowkey makes me keep wishing H2/H2A made a circuit return, lol. I don't play H2 much, but I vastly prefer it to H3, and it'd have been cool to see it return for the first major time in 10 years.

I have a few asks for the next game but if there’s something I appreciate, after playing a bunch of H3, is how they handled shot confirmation. In a game like COD, hit markers made sense. You could have done something visually (like blood coming out of the player a la PUBG) but in order to hit that “arcade feel” hit markers made sense.

In a game like Halo it doesn’t. You have the shields which can act as a clear representation of a player being hit or being weakened. It was subtle yet very obvious. I understand why the change was made (because your average player is used to it from other games and not just COD) but it felt like something unique to Halo and even Fortnite handles it well with seeing the shield pop, as well as the damage number. 

I just hope we go back to something like we had in H2/H3 because it was unique but not overbearing and it added to the experience in a Sci-Fi FPS game.

24 minutes ago, GoldenboyFTW said:

I have a few asks for the next game but if there’s something I appreciate, after playing a bunch of H3, is how they handled shot confirmation. In a game like COD, hit markers made sense. You could have done something visually (like blood coming out of the player a la PUBG) but in order to hit that “arcade feel” hit markers made sense.

In a game like Halo it doesn’t. You have the shields which can act as a clear representation of a player being hit or being weakened. It was subtle yet very obvious. I understand why the change was made (because your average player is used to it from other games and not just COD) but it felt like something unique to Halo and even Fortnite handles it well with seeing the shield pop, as well as the damage number. 

I just hope we go back to something like we had in H2/H3 because it was unique but not overbearing and it added to the experience in a Sci-Fi FPS game.

I agree, EXCEPT you can't get fully accurate feedback when you're using a BR.  In CE it's a non-issue, and with H5 it wouldn't be a big deal because there are only two options (either you landed the shot or you didn't), whereas with H3 you could hit 1-3 shots per burst and it can screw with things. If infinite continues with a magnum start then by all means take them out, but if they go back to it being BR starts then I actually like them.

Nade hitmarkers are ass though.