FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

Oh god Riddler, i just had a heart attack while reading your post.

The number one thing that needs to get fixed in MCC is spawns. Amp and Guardian spawns have never been this bad. 

1 hour ago, Trespa5s said:

December update dropping later today.  Includes the modern aiming option as well.  Really excited to see if that helps or if I'm still going to resemble Stevie wonder in a gunfight. 

Update:  So it's definitely noticeable, and the diagonal aiming is much nice, but I still look like a blind guy swinging at a pinata in H3.  H1 wasn't AS big a difference (though still noticeable) but then again I could already shoot decently on CE so maybe that's why I didn't notice it as much. 

46 minutes ago, Hully said:
  • "IP Masking" - We know there are some vulnerabilities and issues that allow some nefarious jerks to ruin players good times by kicking them out of a session. This is a priority area the team is working on. Some additional details can be found on the Trello board.

💀

So I’m just curious for the people who prefer H5 over H3 would you’re opinion change if they removed the spread on the BR (which is entirely possible if the pros complain).

Though personally to me despite the BR spread it redeemed by the fact that it doesn’t have an insane amount of magnetism and requires leading because it uses projectiles. Not to mention the fact that the Sniper rifle is actually satisfying to get kills with because skill is actually required to use it and get kills unlike every other Halo barring H1.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Shout out the God @Moses_FPS for always being on top of any type of information Halo related. For those who haven’t had a chance to play with modern aiming yet, check this video out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, thdyingbreed said:

So I’m just curious for the people who prefer H5 over H3 would you’re opinion change if they removed the spread on the BR (which is entirely possible if the pros complain).

Though personally to me despite the BR spread it redeemed by the fact that it doesn’t have an insane amount of magnetism and requires leading because it uses projectiles. Not to mention the fact that the Sniper rifle is actually satisfying to get kills with because skill is actually required to use it and get kills unlike every other Halo barring H1.

If they removed spread, sped up the actual burst, cut out projectiles, and basically made it function like a NB DMR with a BR's aesthetic, maybe. The BR not having insane magnetism is "fine", but it still has a lot more aim assist than people seem to realize. However, leading is a dumb mechanic in general. Especially with latency still being a thing, and the fact we're on consoles. Leading in a game with aim assist is kinda its own oxymoron, lol. Your reticle's pushed to your opponent, but even in RRR, you may need to tug your reticle off them to fire properly, which is also stupid when you think about it. You'll be rewarded for aiming off target. I should have to account for my actual aim only, not be rewarded by not actually aiming where my opponent is, but instead, where they may be, while accounting for things potentially outside of my control, like the fact my burst is slow as dicks, among other things, like movement. One could argue that the factor of predicting your opponent's path is skillful, I argue it just makes gunfighting less intuitive and arguably unpredictable when you're being forced to aim off target at any longer range. And it only gets worse the farther out you go. 

And the sniper is also easier than (whew) people give it credit for. It's not a no scope machine like Halo 4's Beam Rifle, but it's still not really hard. Same for CE's sniper, which I find easier than Halo 3's. No recoil and a pretty quick fire rate amplify it. Then again, any weapon basically two shotting people to the body isn't satisfying in concept to me. Lowkey, no sniper in Halo is hard, or skillful, lol. Some suck hard, some suck less.

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

Customs happening tonight, Hardcore settings on H3 this time. Message "The S0UL FLAME", "0" is a zero

15 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

If they removed spread, sped up the actual burst, cut out projectiles, and basically made it function like a NB DMR with a BR's aesthetic, maybe. The BR not having insane magnetism is "fine", but it still has a lot more aim assist than people seem to realize. However, leading is a dumb mechanic in general. Especially with latency still being a thing, and the fact we're on consoles. Leading in a game with aim assist is kinda its own oxymoron, lol. Your reticle's pushed to your opponent, but even in RRR, you may need to tug your reticle off them to fire properly, which is also stupid when you think about it. You'll be rewarded for aiming off target. I should have to account for my actual aim only, not be rewarded by not actually aiming where my opponent is, but instead, where they may be, while accounting for things potentially outside of my control, like the fact my burst is slow as dicks, among other things, like movement. One could argue that the factor of predicting your opponent's path is skillful, I argue it just makes gunfighting less intuitive and arguably unpredictable when you're being forced to aim off target at any longer range. And it only gets worse the farther out you go. 

And the sniper is also easier than (whew) people give it credit for. It's not a no scope machine like Halo 4's Beam Rifle, but it's still not really hard. Same for CE's sniper, which I find easier than Halo 3's. No recoil and a pretty quick fire rate amplify it. Then again, any weapon basically two shotting people to the body isn't satisfying in concept to me. Lowkey, no sniper in Halo is hard, or skillful, lol. Some suck hard, some suck less.

Well, if the BR had no spread, then leading would at the very least become more effective. After all, if you're leading, that implies at least a moderate shooting distance, which no spread would make far deadlier. Also, I think you're overstating the difficulty involved with leading your shots, sticky reticle only really becomes noticeable when another enemy unexpectedly passes in front of the reticle.

Speeding up the burst would probably confuse normies, so that's not a good idea, and I'm pretty sure that changing the projectile nature of the weapon is something that is beyond 343's reasonable control.

As far as the H3 sniper's difficulty is concerned... speak for yourself.

Just now, TI Inspire said:

Well, if the BR had no spread, then leading would at the very least become more effective. After all, if you're leading, that implies at least a moderate shooting distance, which no spread would make far deadlier. Also, I think you're overstating the difficulty involved with leading your shots, sticky reticle only really becomes noticeable when another enemy unexpectedly passes in front of the reticle.

Speeding up the burst would probably confuse normies, so that's not a good idea, and I'm pretty sure that changing the projectile nature of the weapon is something that is beyond 343's reasonable control.

As far as the H3 sniper's difficulty is concerned... speak for yourself.

I'm not saying leading is hard, I'm saying it leads to more inconsistency over being a beneficial, skillful mechanic, and no, sticky reticle is prevalent whenever you walk in front of an enemy, lol. you can go into a custom now and breeze over a guest. Your reticle will literally move without you touching the stick. It's pretty noticeable.

And I doubt it'd confuse normies. Changing fire and burst rates for Halo 5's AR, BR, and DMR didn't confuse anyone and that was done two times over two years in. And I wouldn't doubt making the weapon hitscan would be a harder issue. 

And nah, the weapon's still easy in general, lol. Not to be that person, but confusing an inability to aim with the weapon's actual difficulty is probably playing a part with this.

1 hour ago, JORGE said:

I wish there were more maps for H2A, because I feel like that's a decent middle ground between H3 and H5.

Feels like a classic Halo in terms of movement/setups/weapons (screw nade hitmarkers and weapon timers) while not having BR spread like H3 does. IMO the CLG vs EG matchups in H2A were some of the most entertaining Halo series ever.

I think you could mostly "fix" H2A if you wanted it to be considered one of the best Halo games overall. Basically just remove the screen shake from explosions or at least add a toggle for it, create new maps, reduce aim assist on pretty much everything, include all features such as forge and theater, include all custom game options, and remove nade markers as well as hitmarkers. You would basically have the game that should have followed H2 and H3 at that point to continue the series. Appropriate lighting and shield flare handles what hit markers are supposed to help convey without all of the downsides. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JORGE said:

I wish there were more maps for H2A, because I feel like that's a decent middle ground between H3 and H5.

Feels like a classic Halo in terms of movement/setups/weapons (screw nade hitmarkers and weapon timers) while not having BR spread like H3 does. IMO the CLG vs EG matchups in H2A were some of the most entertaining Halo series ever.

For real though.  Apart from the fact that melee bleedthrough wasn't a thing in that game (though I'm sure it could be added), I thought it was damn near perfect.  BR felt good to shoot, awesome graphics, etc.  Screw not having bleedthrough though. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, FrankTheShow said:

Halo 3 was my least favorite competitive Halo game, however I could watch it far longer than any Halo title past it, it's a much more spectator friendly game than Halo 5. 

Halo 3 had what is to me the most "Halo" aesthetic. Bright, crisp enviornments with fruity colours and great sound design. Everything looked Halo and everything sounded Halo. Switch to Halo 4 and 5 and it doesn't look like Halo (curved white architecture for UNSC? Ugly, hulking Elites?) and it certainly doesn't sound like Halo (respawn sound had to be added in after feedback jesus christ. Even the plasma pistol doesn't sound the same). 

Gameplay specifics aside, Halo 3 feels the most unique of the series in visual and audio design and the way medals show up (and the nice fruity colours of them) as well as the spartans backflipping in multiplayer is always great to watch for me.

#bringbackthebackflip

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Halo 3 had what is to me the most "Halo" aesthetic. Bright, crisp enviornments with fruity colours and great sound design. Everything looked Halo and everything sounded Halo. Switch to Halo 4 and 5 and it doesn't look like Halo (curved white architecture for UNSC? Ugly, hulking Elites?) and it certainly doesn't sound like Halo (respawn sound had to be added in after feedback jesus christ. Even the plasma pistol doesn't sound the same). 

Gameplay specifics aside, Halo 3 feels the most unique of the series in visual and audio design and the way medals show up (and the nice fruity colours of them) as well as the spartans backflipping in multiplayer is always great to watch for me.

#bringbackthebackflip

Yeah, but the game doesn't hold your hand through the experience so on the balance of things H5 is better

5 minutes ago, Hxrshly said:

Yeah, but the game doesn't hold your hand through the experience so on the balance of things H5 is better

dontlikething.png

• Like (+1) 7

55 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

#bringbackthebackflip

I think H2A feels and sounds the most Halo, past Halo 3. Both are pretty close. The multiplayer aspect had an especially sexy element to the Covenant architecture and textures in general, where in general light, weapons would shine a sleek blue-purple, and if you held the edge of a weapon to the edge of the sun, they'd glow red. Super cool detail, and it looks beautiful for Halo. The vehicles also had the nice oily blue/purple feel. It just looked so good. As did Spartan and Elite models, barring the super low-res undersuits. It had a good color pop, too.

But I find it funny you speak on later Elites being large and hulking, when they share a body type with Halo 3's Elites, being large bodied and legged, with slimmer arms. I can get being indifferent to the faces, but the actual silhouette is basically identical to Halo 3's. Whiiiiiich is why I think Halo 4/5's Zealots are easily the sexiest Elites in any Halo. Covered in sleek armor, full black body suits, proper suit lighting, and a sick ass helmet. They look almost like knights in a sense. Regal, but also slightly feral.

Medals varied. I think the more special medals looked nice, like Exterms and Perfections, but basic double kills and triples had super pale colors I didn't like. It ran a weird gamut.

Also, the human architecture of Halo 4 featured a mix of both dirty, squared off textures and some curves. We saw curves with Infinity, obviously, but multiplayer maps like Pit and Perdition, and even Vertigo had sexy older styled aesthetics. Was a good mix.

• WutFace (+0) 1

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I think H2A feels and sounds the most Halo, past Halo 3. Both are pretty close.

Well I'll 100% agree that H2A is on par with Halo 3.

I understand why people hate nade markers. I hate them too. However ill never understand people disliking hit markers I have always liked them. I understand shield flares and burst are supposed to convey the same information, but there is something satisfying to me about hit markers.

• Upvote (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Well I'll 100% agree that H2A is on par with Halo 3.

There is no way in hell that H3 is on par with H2A with that worthless piece of shit BR.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

10 minutes ago, Mythik Nick said:

There is no way in hell that H3 is on par with H2A with that worthless piece of shit BR.

He's talking about visually. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MUSE_iC said:

I understand why people hate nade markers. I hate them too. However ill never understand people disliking hit markers I have always liked them. I understand shield flares and burst are supposed to convey the same information, but there is something satisfying to me about hit markers.

Hitmarkers are good for super accurate information conveyance. If I shoot someone with a BR, I can know exactly how many bullets in a burst hit. Good in H4/5/2A. I feel shield flare can be good, but is also pretty general to the point that you only know how much damage you do once the shield drops. Especially in games like Halo 3, which ironically has prevalent shield flare. If I fight someone and die and don't break the guy's shield, I'll have no idea as to how much damage I did. Could be 3 shots worth, or 3 and a bit as some of my bursts drop bullets. Get the like for flare, but hitmarkers are better for explicitly showing your dealt damage.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Hitmarkers are good for super accurate information conveyance. If I shoot someone with a BR, I can know exactly how many bullets in a burst hit. Good in H4/5/2A. I feel shield flare can be good, but is also pretty general to the point that you only know how much damage you do once the shield drops. Especially in games like Halo 3, which ironically has prevalent shield flare. If I fight someone and die and don't break the guy's shield, I'll have no idea as to how much damage I did. Could be 3 shots worth, or 3 and a bit as some of my bursts drop bullets. Get the like for flare, but hitmarkers are better for explicitly showing your dealt damage.

Weapon hitmarkers are fine. Explosive hitmarkers need to be removed, period. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Frostbite XV2 said:

Weapon hitmarkers are fine. Explosive hitmarkers need to be removed, period. 

So, you're telling me you don't like some freak randomly tossing a nade and knowing exactly where you were without seeing you? Preposterous.