CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, Frostbite XV2 said:

To be fair...

At leas H3 is actually fun.

imo

It's personally hard for me to have fun in a game where you as a player are neutered to all beat hell, power wise. Always hate that. I don't like playing either game much, and don't really, but if I were to choose either evil, I'd still go with Halo 5

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

4 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

It's personally hard for me to have fun in a game where you as a player are neutered to all beat hell, power wise. Always hate that. I don't like playing either game much, and don't really, but if I were to choose either evil, I'd still go with Halo 5

To each their own. When you're talking about specifically online play, I can see your reasoning. But H3 LAN was an absolute blast and still is.

To me, H5 just isn't Halo and is just a Frankenstein-mashup of gimmicky features from other franchises that were implemented without second thought in a feeble attempt to garner more attention from the FPS community at-large. 

I prefer more Halo, with my Halo.

Again, IMO

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 3 nerfs the player harder than any installment so I definitely respect that idea. However, the maps make a huge impact and I enjoy H3's more than any other title but H1 & 2.

• Upvote (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Frostbite XV2 said:

To each their own. When you're talking about specifically online play, I can see your reasoning. But H3 LAN was an absolute blast and still is.

To me, H5 just isn't Halo and is just a Frankenstein-mashup of gimmicky features from other franchises that were implemented without second thought in a feeble attempt to garner more attention from the FPS community at-large. 

I prefer more Halo, with my Halo.

Again, IMO

Oh, it's gimmicky as fuck, entirely. No argument. It's gimmicky, complex, and not user/casual friendly. I just happen to be one of the few who couldn't give a shit and could adapt fine to it. And I'd still take it when the act of firing my gun just works. It just works. Thanks, Todd Howard, lmao. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Snip

Not everyone shares your distaste for Narrows, Construct, and the Foundry maps. Construct KOTH is kind of controversial I guess, personally I love watching it. I wouldn't say there's a truly bad map in the H3 rotation, whereas H5 only had two decent maps in Coliseum and Truth IMO, one of which is a play on a Halo 2 map. The movement is basic, which is good. Needing to lock yourself into an animation and out of combat just to navigate the map properly is inherently restrictive. Ironically, the basic movement in the original trilogy is far more advanced than what's in Halo 5, which features the most restrictive movement in the franchise. I never said setups and positioning mean nothing in Halo 5, the implication is that they mean much more in Halo 3 than they do in Halo 5. (CE and H2 as well) I'm not going to defend the H3 BR, it shouldn't have been that way, and it's problems are drastically worsened online, but that doesn't mean the game itself isn't competitively viable or fun to play and spectate. Hitscan is superior to projectile IMO, but that doesn't automatically make Halo 5 superior to Halo 3.

I never said it fosters positivity through nostalgia, I said it fosters positivity. Is there nostalgia afoot? I'm sure there is, but that doesn't mean it's the driving force as to why so many people are thrilled to have Halo 3 back. Halo 3 was the most popular Halo title ever made, and a lot of people who competed in St. Louis are people who never left. That's not nostalgia, that's a love of the game. For me it has nothing to do with nostalgia, I'm just happy to see what I consider to be actual Halo being played again. Personally I would have preferred the scene to go back to Halo 2, but anything without sprint, abilities, and all the rest of the modernized changes is fine by me. I like seeing the community happy again. It doesn't inherently make the current game being played any better, it simply makes the scene and the community a better place to be around. 

Nether one of us is going to change the mind of the other. I've been a part of so many of these back and forth's on Reddit over the years, and I don't really want to do another one here. I get that you don't like Halo 3 and I respect that. Personally I don't like it nearly as much as CE and H2. That being said I am tickled pink that we get to play and watch it for the next year or so, and I'm going to enjoy every second of it. Hopefully Infinite will be a game that appeals to everyone. This will be my last response in this comment chain. Cheers. 

• Like (+1) 4

I'll probably get flak for this, but I honestly enjoyed watching the later H5 events more than the H3 classic.

Though I'm not sure if it's mainly due to the gameplay, or if stuff like production level and having more investment in competitive H5 storylines built up from multiple events plays a big role. But the H3 classic wasn't as exciting as I was hoping it would be. It's important to note that I didn't follow competitive Halo at its peak with H3, so perhaps the nostalgic factor is lost for me?:

That being said, Halo events are always good, and I 100% prefer playing classic Halo.

Just my $0.02

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 4
  • WutFace (+0) 2

My problem with h3 is that for mlg we have heretic, a worse midship. We have a worse heretic in ampiflied. And we have an even worse heretic with onslaught. Onslaught flag is the epitome of no depth map. The gametype litetally plays for you. You push forward and kill the enemy team then stare at a or b. There is no better way to play the map. There is no worse way to play the map. There is essentially no meta to it at all. Ampiflied’s only a hair better because at least there are 4 places to spawn and ur accountable for giving good spawns, but at least you can choose which bases to hold. And look i just described the way heretic plays. They were made when we didnt have midship or warlock but now we got heretic which is the same concept (br arena with spawn traps). They should have been scrapped in 2009. 

Even tho pit slayer is a drag, its at least a gametype that has loads of ways to play it with different setups, even if the core concept is just hold ur side. Holding the enemy side is where u can really pick ur flavor. And its ok if one map plays super slow (so get rid of construct ts or update it).

Imo: 

100% scrap onslaught and amp

50% scrap narrows flag, construct slayer  

100% keep pit flag, pit slayer, Heretic flag, heretic slayer, construct hill, guardian oddball, narrows slayer  

salvageable/redesign: construct slayer, citadel gametype, some sandbox map even if its just a reskin of a different halo map (except not sanc please, for the millionth time).  

maps i dont think are salvageable but maybe theres 1% hope: assembly flag or oddball

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Ahhhh, I've missed these arguments of 'classic' Halo vs ' current ' Halo. Always entertaining.

That being said, I like my Halo simple. :prayers:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

h5 vs h3 is a pointless argument to have. the newer game should always be better than the older game. but there is no point denying that the execution of h5 is what drove it into the ground. launching without expected features, heavy aim for 2+years (which they denied was a real thing until the community finally provided enough proof to force action), absurd amounts of bullet magnetisim, hitboxes big enough to give headshots when sniping knees, redundant guns and grenades littered across maps, things in game that the community asked to be removed for years (ARs, radar, splinter nades), running out of memory to add in worthwhile skins, and mechanics that forced you to buy a controller with extra buttons

the final h5 settings on launch wouldve made it a vastly better game over it's lifetime on par with nbns reach or even h3. but there comes a point where you fuck up so much that the only way to salvage is to rebuild the game completely. that was never going to happen when they're also expected to release new games in the series. maybe we can get h2 4v4 events but there is no denying that h3 brings the crowds and players

• Like (+1) 2

It's quite a leap to say people prefer competitive Halo 3 to 5 just because of nostalgia. I played a lot of Halo 3 when I was younger and it was the hot game, and I was aware of the big MLG scene, but I did not follow it at all. So I don't have any nostalgic attachment to "the glory days" whatsoever. That said, I had way more fun watching UGC than any Halo 5 tournament. I have almost zero investment in any players or storylines so if that makes Halo 5 more enjoyable to watch then I can't comment on it, but from a pure moment to moment gameplay standpoint, they're not even comparable

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 3 is slower paced, you can see the setups. You can see entire plays and pushes unfolding easily and really get a feel for what is happening.

Halo 5 was players surfing around the map and you could pickup those “setup/push” moments, but it wasn’t as satisfying (due to game speed) and IMO they were few and far between. Strictly from a viewer perspective. 

• Like (+1) 7

guys just stop responding, she'll go back to the Infinite thread.  they've been having this argument since 2015 in the H5/Infinite threads

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 6
  • Thonking (+0) 1

I didn't even play halo when H3 was the big thing and I can honestly say I enjoy playing H3 over H5 even with the issues it has online (I think people exaggerate their prevelance as a cope for being bad, but you can't deny they exist fundamentally).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hxrshly said:

I didn't even play halo when H3 was the big thing and I can honestly say I enjoy playing H3 over H5 even with the issues it has online (I think people exaggerate their prevelance as a cope for being bad, but you can't deny they exist fundamentally).

Halo 2 & Halo 3 at their peak on Xbox/Xbox 360 were somehow both the best and worst online experiences ever. 😂

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Simms (+1) 1

It isnt a popular opinion, especially in this forum, but h5 is probably my 3rd favorite halo, after halo 3 and halo 2. I had tons of fun playing it, just wish 343 took better care of it in the first couple years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Llamaas said:

It isnt a popular opinion, especially in this forum, but h5 is probably my 3rd favorite halo, after halo 3 and halo 2. I had tons of fun playing it, just wish 343 took better care of it in the first couple years.

Did you play halo 1?

December update dropping later today.  Includes the modern aiming option as well.  Really excited to see if that helps or if I'm still going to resemble Stevie wonder in a gunfight. 

• Fire (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheFloyd said:

Did you play halo 1?

Ya. I enjoy the campaign but i just like halo 5 multiplayer better. Couldnt tell you why, just had more fun with h5.

Did they ever fix the issue with people being hit offline? I haven’t played in a while, but the last time I did my modem got lazer’d. 

Halo 3 was my least favorite competitive Halo game, however I could watch it far longer than any Halo title past it, it's a much more spectator friendly game than Halo 5. 

The advanced movement mechanics make Halo 5 exhausting to watch. 

This argument is irrelevant.

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Did they ever fix the issue with people being hit offline? I haven’t played in a while, but the last time I did my modem got lazer’d. 

• "IP Masking" - We know there are some vulnerabilities and issues that allow some nefarious jerks to ruin players good times by kicking them out of a session. This is a priority area the team is working on. Some additional details can be found on the Trello board.