CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

Highlight of UGC was having a ūüĒĆ grab me a HCS Grassroots Nameplate for MCC. All jokes aside, dope event to watch online regardless of the issues they were having with it. Felt so nostalgic sitting at my TV with the stream on watching H3 all day instead of playing it all day. Congrats to Tox for pulling through and closing it out in Grand Finals. Also like to point out that @aPG¬†was wearing a Supreme Mike Tyson shirt that runs for $1k on eBay... FLEX.

@Falloutt¬†You were killing it out there, GoW fam for life ‚̧ԳŹ.

This is really mind boggling if true  It should be obvious to have everything offline, each station on its own switch. And monitors can be captured with no internet required for the streams. 

Logistically it might be harder and more time consuming but a professional event with professional players with tens of thousands of dollars on the line should NEVER have a worse setup than the one in my goddamn basement. I could not feel pride in inviting high calibre players to that sort of thing. 

27 minutes ago, Naded said:

thank you!

any plans on competing this year?

I ain't posted in a while, but I enjoyed the tournament. 

Also, CE tournament stole the show. I always knew sick that game is competitively, but the streams I've seen never really did it justice with the POVs and overlays. 

For some reason this just clicked. 

I just skimmed through the H3 tourney, but from what I saw there were some great matches on Saturday and Sunday. This was my first time watching H3 live. I still think the game sucks compared to CE and 2, but it was much more fun to watch than anything we got recently - the this coming from a guy who enjoyed watching H5 moreso than playing it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mhunterjr said:

But it was much more fun to watch than anything we got recently - the this coming from a guy who enjoyed watching H5 moreso than playing it. 

Nah, Halo 5 is still more inherently entertaining, even though it's "myeh" competitively. Can't take a game like Halo 3 seriously, lol. Bored me to tears, as well.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 7
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 3
  • Salt (-1) 6

11 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Nah, Halo 5 is still more inherently entertaining, even though it's "myeh" competitively. Can't take a game like Halo 3 seriously, lol. Bored me to tears, as well.

I still remember H3 plays from 10 years ago.. I can't even recall a single one in H5. I can't even recall my own clips from H5 with the exception of like 2 in Warzone of all things. 

It was awesome watching HCE/H3 this past weekend. Not even fussed about the technical difficulties or limitations they faced throughout the weekend. I'll gladly watch classic Halo gameplay for pennies over modern Halo for millions. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

yeah you know I was thinking you know these skillful sniper shots and jumps are cool and all but where's the bullet magnetism and clamber. screw strafing I want thrust\

you're trying too hard to troll

• Like (+1) 6

9 minutes ago, Kr0ni said:

I'll gladly watch classic Halo gameplay for pennies over modern Halo for millions. 

I'd take the best "modern" Halo over the shittiest "classic" Halo, lol. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2
  • Salt (-1) 9

I'd rather watch Halo 3 at 100 ping, with twice the BR spread, and half the movement speed than watch another map of Halo 5. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

2 minutes ago, Hully said:

I'd rather watch Halo 3 at 100 ping, with twice the BR spread, and half the movement speed than watch another map of Halo 5. 

That's a big yikes 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

yeah you know I was thinking you know these skillful sniper shots and jumps are cool and all but where's the bullet magnetism and clamber. screw strafing I want thrust\

you're trying too hard to troll

Yeah, going against the grain being passed off as trying to troll, lol. Perfect counter.

Halo 5's sniper is garbage, and it has problems, but it is still ten times better as a competitive game than Halo 3 ever would be. Better movement skillgap and a better utility. Ten times more entertaining than the game where you're literally at your weakest individually, have the weakest and most inconsistent utility, and no one can make plays with anything but braindead powerups/power weapons, and teamshot.

12 minutes ago, Hully said:

I'd rather watch Halo 3 at 100 ping,¬†with twice the BR spread, and half the movement speed than watch another map of Halo 5.¬†ÔĽŅ

Super yikes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3

No yikes. Halo 5 was a bad joke, the only thing worse is Halo 4. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hully said:

No yikes. Halo 5 was a bad joke, the only thing worse is Halo 4. 

You're literally saying you'd rather watch a game with less competitive viability than Halo 3 already has (and lacks, lol) and unironically saying you'd want that over Halo 5, out of a matter of preference. Be a little more self-aware, lol.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Just now, TheIcePrincess said:

You're literally saying you'd rather watch a game with less competitive viability than Halo 3 already has (and lacks, lol) and unironically saying you'd want that over Halo 5, out of a matter of preference. Be a little more self-aware, lol.

Halo 5 literally had radar and brain dead OP automatics for over a year in its 'competitive' settings. Be a little more self-aware, lol. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just now, ChieftaiNZ said:

Halo 5 literally had radar and brain dead OP automatics for over a year in its 'competitive' settings. Be a little more self-aware, lol. 

It's not a lack of self awareness, it's just realizing they changed their settings and the AR starts are irrelevant when they were changed for the last year of Halo 5, which I specifically refer to. Besides, if we're gonna go by that metric, Halo 3 had a shitty inconsistent utility for the entirety of its life. Ten times worse, lmao. Least the Magnum still worked in Halo 5. Halo 5 at its best is still better than Halo 3 at its best. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

24 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I'm saying that because I believe Halo 3 is a much more competitively viable game. Better maps, better movement, better gametypes, positioning and setups actually mean something, movement and combat aren't mutually exclusive, no sprint, no radar, no AR's, no heavy aim, drastically less bullet magnetism, and it fosters positivity from the community. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Hully said:

I'm saying that because I believe Halo 3 is a much more competitively viable game. Better maps, better movement, better gametypes, positioning and setups actually mean something, movement and combat aren't mutually exclusive, no sprint, no radar, no AR's, no heavy aim, drastically less bullet magnetism, and it fosters positivity from the community. 

Bigger yikes 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2
  • Thonking (+0) 1

1 hour ago, Hully said:

I'm a real Halo elitist and this made me want to dead.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

It's not a lack of self awareness, it's just realizing they changed their settings and the AR starts are irrelevant when they were changed for the last year of Halo 5, which I specifically refer to. Besides, if we're gonna go by that metric, Halo 3 had a shitty inconsistent utility for the entirety of its life. Ten times worse, lmao. Least the Magnum still worked in Halo 5. Halo 5 at its best is still better than Halo 3 at its best. 

I had more fun playing Halo 5 than I ever did playing Halo 3 to be honest, but you seem to implying that Halo 5 is a good competitive game because Halo 3 is not. If anything, both games aren't viable in a competitive environment, and one being shittier than the other really doesn't matter if they are still both shit. 

Halo 3 is the worse classic game, and Halo 5 is the best modern game, which doesn't really mean much because CE/2 are clearly better games than 3, and Reach/4 are so awful that 343 would've had to aim to make the shittiest Halo game imaginable for it to be any worse. If anything, both games are pretty evenly matched, so it doesn't matter because I'd rather be playing CE or Halo 2 instead of either options. 

Arguing about Halo 3 vs Halo 5 is dumb because both options suck. It's like being asked if I'd rather be stabbed or shot. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

On 1/14/2019 at 9:32 AM, Aphex Twin said:

Where can I find rebroadcasts for CE? 

VOD can be found on twitch.tv/skillshot 

Best 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Wierd flex but ok. 

MLG H3 is simply more action packed. Truth CTF was fun to watch, but the first match I tuned into was Heretic CTF. Truth is incredibly slow in comparison. 

That pretty much remains true across the entire specrum. I guess the time that would otherwise be spent stuck in boring sprint and clamber animations is instead spent shooting people. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just now, Hully said:

I'm saying that because I believe Halo 3 is a much more competitively viable game. Better maps, better movement, better gametypes, positioning and setups actually mean something, movement and combat aren't mutually exclusive, no sprint, drastically less bullet magnetism, and it fosters positivity from the community. 

It has Guardian, and Midship at best (Narrows and Construct absolutely suck and the Forge maps are beyond forgettable for me to remember if they're good or not), its movement is basic, which is fine, but also exacerbates explosives, the gametypes that can be good, like KoTH are wasted on things like Construct (did I ever mention how much that map sucks? Same for Narrows), Slayer is a majority gametype present too, and we know it's the weakest, which does no favors, lol.

Not to mention, saying (rather, implying) positioning and setups mean nothing in Halo 5 is completely false. You don't just walk around the map aimlessly, and you don't go unpunished for moving anywhere. Could break this down in a nutshell with Truth, again. Which has the most opportunities to show how positioning can and does matter. Or Fathom, or Coli. The golden triangle of map sets. Coli and Truth CTF games show just how much positioning can matter, like not going elbow on Coli so you can get a flag run going down snipe, the superior region. Or sitting bubble and basement on Truth to force spawns to the left of the base. Positioning matters a fuckload in that game.

And being more competitively viable goes out the window with your spawn weapon. Easily consistent magnum vs. inconsistently difficult BR. Pretty easy choice of the former. Halo 3 could have every single one of those aspects you listed as being better in spades. Even if that were a universal fact, it would still have that godawful BR in comparison to the magnum we've used for the past 3 years. And that alone kills it for me. The game's an FPS. First person shooter. Why would I competitively play, or vouch for a game where I can't rely on my weapon to function 100% of the time because of actual, intentionally coded inaccuracy. Less bullet mag? That's cool and all, but it means nothing when I can't reliably hit any shots outside of 15 feet, lol. Couple that with projectiles, spread, and a slow burst. Of course, this also blows over how I feel the H3 BR's difficulty really is overstated. It's not really a hard weapon to use. Your auto aim is literally to a point where you can move on a horizontal axis to your opponent within RRR, and your reticle will be hauled over their face without moving your stick, let alone how much easier it is when you DO attempt to aim properly. It's not a Herculean task. I'd say it's artificially difficult. 

And it mostly "fosters positivity" through the toxic emotion of nostalgia. I don't get why this is a good thing. I've seen so many posts that pertain to this, about "feeling like a kid again" with this game's circuit return, and the like, and man, it is depressing, lmao. Not even just here. I see it on Youtube, Twitter, the like. Literally, an earlier post defending Halo 3's entertainment in comparison to Halo 5's is credited in part with remembering plays from 10 years ago. Shout out to Valeaa for actually acknowledging it too a few days back, lmao. Nostalgia sucks, and to me, will never be a way for me to vouch for playing it, or thinking it's entertaining. In the end, I don't really care if it makes the community happy to be honest. Sounds dickish, but it doesn't make the game better to me, and I know a lot of it is about returning to the <ugh>"good ol' days"</ugh> when other alternatives exist that we know are inherently better, and could push us forward, without being alienating, and without superbly pandering. 3's still shit to me, regardless of how many people like it, and would be, even if I liked it. We could get community happiness through better sources over retreading the same tired garbage.

2 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

I had more fun playing Halo 5 than I ever did playing Halo 3 to be honest, but you seem to implying that Halo 5 is a good competitive game because Halo 3 is not. If anything, both games aren't viable in a competitive environment, and one being shittier than the other really doesn't matter if they are still both shit. 

Halo 3 is the worse classic game, and Halo 5 is the best modern game, which doesn't really mean much because CE/2 are clearly better games than 3, and Reach/4 are so awful that 343 would've had to aim to make the shittiest Halo game imaginable for it to be any worse. If anything, both games are pretty evenly matched, so it doesn't matter because I'd rather be playing CE or Halo 2 instead of either options. 

No, I was implying it was more entertaining to watch when there's more thought and mechanical skill going into it. As I said, Halo 5 is myeh competitively, I'm not saying it's the best. Be it the power weapons, or the stupid power ups, or the bad maps. But it'll still be better than the game that fucks any sense of individuality with an inconsistent spawn weapon. Even if barely. I'd rather have something else entirely, other than these two options, but given the two options we realistically would use (Newest, or pandering), I'd just watch and go for Halo 5 as the more personally entertaining one. It's not superbly good, to reiterate, but it holds much more weight to me than 3 would.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1