CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Riddler said:

While a hot switch might affect networking, the ghost melees and bloodshots happened at dh 2v2 which didn't use a super switch on the main stage I believe. It's also a known issue that these occur way more commonly than OG. also he probably meant that the event wouldn't be on real lan, aka having to connect to an online server to play local. 

Okay and yeah the online server pings to play locally are very annoying. I really hope there can be some kind of solution for Infinite 

11 hours ago, Gold said:

was not even a fan of the neon graphics as well, simplistic will always be the right option.

Image result for that's just like your opinion man

16 minutes ago, Frostbite XV2 said:

Image result for that's just like your opinion man

That gif is so small if you're on pc LOL. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Riddler said:

who's got the graphic that shows a streak of what team is currently on top (was a square with lots of boxes that went STK->final boss->str8->final boss, etc). 

The championship belt, yea.

Dw1V-LoUwAU7_1P.png:large

• Like (+1) 9

5 hours ago, Llamaas said:

FFA --> ELEVATE VS. REC (UGC)

• FFA: 15 min.
  • Break: 45 min.
  • ELV vs REC: 35 min
  • In game: 50 min. In Break: 45 min.

ELEVATE VS. REC --> REC VS STATUS QUO (UGC)

• ELV VS. REC: 35 min
  • Break: 55 min
  • REC vs. SQ: 45 min.
  • In game: 1 hour 20 min. In Break: 55 min.

ELEVATE VS TRIFECTA --> REC VS TRIFECTA (MLG NOLA)

• ELV VS TRI: 57 min
  • Break: 27 min
  • REC VS. TRI: 52 min
  • In game: 1 hour 49 min. In Break: 27 min.

TOX VS SPLYCE --> TOX VS RENEGADES (MLG NOLA)

• TOX VS SPY: 1 hour 3 min
  • Break: 25 min
  • TOX VS RNG: 54 min
  • In game: 1 hour 57 min. In break: 25 min.

Just for fun I thought I should also add the long ass break from saturday. I think ugc was fixing audio issues on mainstage which should've been and was priority, just wanted to add it. (Also they played a c stream match or something in this, but i am only counting time between mainstage matches)

DENIAL VS WRATH --> REC VS GMS (UGC)

• DENIAL VS WRATH: 34 min
  • Break: 1 Hour 36 min.
  • REC VS GMS: 1 Hour
  • In game: 1 hour 34 min. In Break 1 hour 36 min.

hopefully i did the math right on this lmao.

This might be why viewership sucks, when the odds of being on break is higher than there being game play when you tune in I feel like you're not going to retain viewership. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 6

18 hours ago, FeaR said:

Now what do we do until March?:mj:

The Aim Patch for MCC and the BTB refresh for Halo 5 are examples of the trickled content we'll be getting throughout the year until we get more info about Infinite. Both games are gonna be given treatment to keep Halo steady, while Grassroots builds up the foundation. This will be a very active year for Halo, regardless of our opinions of the Classic or Modern formula.

Still not clear on why we’re not using the og H3 for tournament play. OG H3 is backwards compatible and is still the best version of H3.

No need to bother 343 with patches to make the game more like the game that literally already exist and works with the xboxone online and on lan. 

Pros can continue to scrim in customs online, it’ll still be host based like the MCC version so there’s no difference. The only thing you can’t do is play the mlg playlist because of the population. But I honestly believe that if events used og H3, more players will just simply go back to that version and populate the playlist. 

The only negative I can think of is the 30fps which just takes some time to get used to. There’s so many things that are just objectively better in the og version that it’s shocking to me that we’re not using it. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

Still not clear on why we’re not using the og H3 for tournament play. OG H3 is backwards compatible and is still the best version of H3.

No need to bother 343 with patches to make the game more like the game that literally already exist and works with the xboxone online and on lan. 

Pros can continue to scrim in customs online, it’ll still be host based like the MCC version so there’s no difference. The only thing you can’t do is play the mlg playlist because of the population. But I honestly believe that if events used og H3, more players will just simply go back to that version and populate the playlist. 

The only negative I can think of is the 30fps which just takes some time to get used to. There’s so many things that are just objectively better in the og version that it’s shocking to me that we’re not using it. 

I thought there was problems regarding controller responsiveness/input delay with BC games?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

Still not clear on why we’re not using the og H3 for tournament play.

MCC will be getting an aim patch soon, and the other games will most likely be getting more improvements throughout this year. Grassroots organizers that signed up wanting to do OG H3 may show up, but more than likely will just use MCC as a base.

Hopefully we'll be getting Reach on there too, so you can basically play every flavor of Halo easily.

• Downvote (-1) 1

9 minutes ago, TheSimms said:

If i get invited and haven’t already committed to anything (i despise letting TO’s down after booking/contracting) i’ll happily be there, didn’t do UGC due to wife been pregnant (and then he came early and decided to arrive yesterday so it was a good call) but there was a convo progressing so thanks to Matt for that and for allowing re-streaming. I still want to be a big part of Halo esports and its future regardless of my thoughts and opinions on advanced movement and past history. I’m still here and going nowhere but I just need a heads or invite from TO’s early as 2019 will be PUBG’s year of esports and they have an insane roadmap for the whole year.

holy shit congrats man! dad life is an awesome life

36 minutes ago, TheSimms said:

If i get invited and haven’t already committed to anything (i despise letting TO’s down after booking/contracting) i’ll happily be there, didn’t do UGC due to wife been pregnant (and then he came early and decided to arrive yesterday so it was a good call) but there was a convo progressing so thanks to Matt for that and for allowing re-streaming. I still want to be a big part of Halo esports and its future regardless of my thoughts and opinions on advanced movement and past history. I’m still here and going nowhere but I just need a heads or invite from TO’s early as 2019 will be PUBG’s year of esports and they have an insane roadmap for the whole year.

Congrats on LittleSimms!

• Like (+1) 1

For real that CE 2v2 tournament was amazing. Huge thanks to the casters, community members who lent their equipment, and all others that made it happen. 

Hoping to see more CE at halo esports events, havent had that much fun spectating Halo since MLG 2007 (excluding beach lan). 

Honestly, CE has aged better than any other halo game and deserves the spotlight.

• Like (+1) 5

50 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

holy shit congrats man! dad life is an awesome life

Thankyou! :D His first introduction to gaming will be the winter wonder lan and who better than Christopher Puckett to induct him into competitive Halo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TheSimms said:

Thankyou! :D His first introduction to gaming will be the winter wonder lan and who better than Christopher Puckett to induct him into competitive Halo.

do you have this yet? all the cool kids have this. and it would impress puckett though dont let him teach your son about shooting rockets

Image result for master chief with balloon onesie

• Like (+1) 1

I'm really confused about this whole LAN thing, did they really not disconnect the internet and did they not just have one dedicated switch for each station? This is amateur stuff if so. A switch is dirt cheap. 

LAN works pretty well on MCC H3 AFAIK. Halo 1 still feels off obviously. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, VinnyMendoza said:

I'm really confused about this whole LAN thing, did they really not disconnect the internet and have one dedicated switch for each station? This is amateur stuff if so. A switch is dirt cheap. 

MCC LAN is awesome. I've played it on an ideal set up too many times to say otherwise. There are IT networking professionals in the community who were very confused at the decision to put the venue on a single connection. 

From a production standpoint - the only boxes that needed an internet signal to them would be the mainstage and featured station so we could recover accounts.

Offstage stations then wouldn't need to deal with scrolling through hundreds of lobbies that are constantly refreshing. Can anyone tell me if Dreamhack Atlanta had this issue in the 2v2?

15 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

MCC LAN is awesome. I've played it on an ideal set up too many times to say otherwise. There are IT networking professionals in the community who were very confused at the decision to put the venue on a single connection. 

From a production standpoint - the only boxes that needed an internet signal to them would be the mainstage and featured station so we could recover accounts.

Offstage stations then wouldn't need to deal with scrolling through hundreds of lobbies that are constantly refreshing. Can anyone tell me if Dreamhack Atlanta had this issue in the 2v2?

Couldn't you just do the old school style of having people bring a USB stick with their profile on it?  Would save a ton of time too I'd assume. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

Couldn't you just do the old school style of having people bring a USB stick with their profile on it?  Would save a ton of time too I'd assume. 

Not with how Xbox One handles accounts/save data.  While you can delete local save game data and accounts, you can't move that information between hard drives or other mediums.  It has to do with their choice to have everything backed up by the cloud and some other changes to the data storage architecture, which is really useful at times and a hindrance at others. 

• Like (+1) 1

Speaking of which - it's amazing how smooth LAN profiles make things when organizing a tournament... the H1 2v2 bracket flew.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Knighty Knight said:

For H5 we were all on the same network in the open bracket area, during warmup we even had issues with people accidentally joining our station mid-game but I believe they had that figured out by the time the tournament started. I may have gotten first rounded so I wasn't around long enough to see it happen to anybody else...

I can't speak for the H3 2v2 but I can't imagine it was different. I beliebe main stage and featured stations were on a separate network though.

Technically once things are setup, you wouldn't need to be backing out of lobbies so no need need to scroll through other lobbies.

• Like (+1) 1