CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

FYI, Forge maps built in Halo 3 or Halo 4 are not accessible in MCC unless they're rebuilt entirely from scratch. I haven't checked, but I doubt these maps have been remade in MCC.

343 can port them over from what I remember, but they're not able/willing to let us use the same feature.

Edit: oh my, finally hit that gold rep bar.

• Upvote (+1) 6

343 can port them over from whag I remember, but they're not able/willing to let us use the same feature.

Edit: oh my, finally hit that gold rep bar.

Grats man.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm so glad to sign on to Halo and see this many people playing and enjoying playing a classic Halo game.

I hope this shows just how much everyone loves playing the older style of Halo and we can move forward in a positive direction.

(Fingers crossed)

Halo ❤️

• Upvote (+1) 2

If MLG aren't going to allow Zach to make OG Halo jerseys I wish they would do it themselves then. Would be cool as hell to get my hands on a few of them.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm a little surprised I didn't see this posted here yet with all the aiming discussions we have.  I think a could pages ago, people were "praising" H4 and H2A's aiming vs. the rest of the titles.  If i'm reading this right - you might be able to have that option now.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm a little surprised I didn't see this posted here yet with all the aiming discussions we have.  I think a could pages ago, people were "praising" H4 and H2A's aiming vs. the rest of the titles.  If i'm reading this right - you might be able to have that option now.

That's talking about the december update, which isn't out yet.

E: It will include(from the Waypoint post): "additional fixes, improvements, and new features like additional skulls, new “modern aiming” control options, and more."

That's talking about the december update, which isn't out yet.

E: It will include(from the Waypoint post): "additional fixes, improvements, and new features like additional skulls, new “modern aiming” control options, and more."

They mentioned it in the november update as well.

No, i dont mean the acceleration and deadzone stuff.  In the last MCC update they said they are looking at integrating the H4/H2A aiming system into every title as a toggleable option in a future update.  I think those have some of best aiming feel of any console shooters.  If they do that, i might be able to play Halo 3 and actually look around comfortably for the first time ever!

H4/h2a aiming in h3 is a huge deal, it’s only second to reduced BR spread. If done right it’s going to make a lot of people happy.

• Upvote (+1) 9

If so, and if it's really that simple, why in the flying fuck shit couldn't they do this with H5 after all this time?

Echoing this. 

All that fucking frustration and they apparently can change this shit at the drop of a hat - completely debunking the theory that it took up so many in-house resources that it wasn't worth it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

They mentioned it in the november update as well.

Yeah, and they're now saying it will be included in the december update, hopefully it feels good.

Echoing this.

All that fucking frustration and they apparently can change this shit at the drop of a hat - completely debunking the theory that it took up so many in-house resources that it wasn't worth it.

Probably bc they legitimately couldn’t fix it since the problem ran deep lol
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I think H5 is a different beast of spaghetti code, bad optimization and an engine so bad they completely abandoned it to start from scratch with Infinite.

The bigger question is: why did Bungie keep H3 aiming as it was, without giving us aim acceleration options and X/Y sensitivity if 343 can easily add those to 5 games within a few weeks? I'm guessing it's the same mix of arrogance and ignorance that also gave us BR spread, or they simply didn't care. I vividly remember people bitching about the H3 aim acceleration back in the day so it's not like it wasn't a requested feature.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The last time the H3 MLG variants were updated was what in 2009?  I love hardcore H3 4v4 as much as the next guy but holy fuck am I tired of the overplayed Forge maps that solely act as knockoffs of Heretic.  I'm not saying I want Citadel, Assembly, or something like that (those maps can stay in casual Arena where they belong) but goddamn how has the rotation not been updated?

Lowkey they should just remove the window from library Blackout.

The bigger question is: why did Bungie keep H3 aiming as it was, without giving us aim acceleration options and X/Y sensitivity if 343 can easily add those to 5 games within a few weeks? I'm guessing it's the same mix of arrogance and ignorance that also gave us BR spread, or they simply didn't care. I vividly remember people bitching about the H3 aim acceleration back in the day so it's not like it wasn't a requested feature.

Well, the game came out 10 years ago when extended controller options(and extended options in general) was not common. It's really only lately that such things have become more standard.

Lowkey they should just remove the window from library Blackout.

No, Blackout is trash no matter what you do to it. All the doorways are stretched to all hell and all the skilljumps that made Lockout so fun are all gone. That map is a lost cause lmao
  • Upvote (+1) 5

The bigger question is: why did Bungie keep H3 aiming as it was, without giving us aim acceleration options and X/Y sensitivity if 343 can easily add those to 5 games within a few weeks? 

H5 proved that aiming code runs deeper than sensitivity and acceleration curves. H3's aiming is fucked at the code/formula level. 

A while back, I emailed one of Bungie's coders who worked on H3 to ask if he could share anything related to the aiming code. He replied that it's all "secret sauce" and he wasn't allowed to disclose. Given that 343 was similarly stubborn as fuck about H5's aiming system, I don't think we're ever going to concretely learn what the hell any of them did. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

H5 proved that aiming code runs deeper than sensitivity and acceleration curves. H3's aiming is fucked at the code/formula level. 

A while back, I emailed one of Bungie's coders who worked on H3 to ask if he could share anything related to the aiming code. He replied that it's all "secret sauce" and he wasn't allowed to disclose. Given that 343 was similarly stubborn as fuck about H5's aiming system, I don't think we're ever going to concretely learn what the hell any of them did. 

I don't think they even know what the F they did.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If MLG aren't going to allow Zach to make OG Halo jerseys I wish they would do it themselves then. Would be cool as hell to get my hands on a few of them.

They sell FB/Carbon/Instinct stuff at events. Dropped a lot of money in Seattle.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They sell FB/Carbon/Instinct stuff at events. Dropped a lot of money in Seattle.

This sort of shit really annoys me. There's a big market for that type of merchandise and it's just sitting there in the MLG vaults.

• Upvote (+1) 7

people were "praising" H4 and H2A's aiming vs. the rest of the titles.  If i'm reading this right - you might be able to have that option now.

why would you write "'praising'", lol ... H4 had the best aiming in the series, easily

• Upvote (+1) 1