CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Commander Eagle said:

Special shoutout to the Beyond bros at the event, especially @Humpflung @Silos @Zavehi, and a big shoutout to @Hard Way for teaching me some CE strats :D. That’s all I got!

See you in Dallas bud.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hully said:

I think it was most apparent that it wasn't LAN during an Onslaught game, APG's bullets weren't connecting crossmap. Still a great tourney, especially the H1 tourney. Really hope there's H1 at the next grassroots. 

Had a good weekend watching the stream! my only complaints are: so many fuck up's on the audio, was not even a fan of the neon graphics as well, simplistic will always be the right option. Loved watching some old halo 3 again, was surprised reciprocity didn't take the W. Pistola and snipedown both still had some sick highlights.  

1 hour ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Hard Way and Gandhi calling Halo 1 are like Marv Albert and Doug Collins calling the NBA back in the day.

What do you mean?

3 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

What do you mean?

High quality, very listenable, great rhythm to their commentary.

Relax, you rock too.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2
  • Toxic (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Zavehi said:

Venue:

There is really only one way to put it. The venue is bad.

The building itself isn't really the main issue, its just in the middle of nowhere. Really nothing around there for food options or anything to do, and the closest part of St. Louis is not a place you actually want to go.

You’re 100% right about this, and I should have mentioned it in my write-up. While the venue itself was great, the location was quite abysmal. WAY too far outside of any area anyone would want to actually spend time.

30 minutes ago, Gold said:

Had a good weekend watching the stream! my only complaints are: so many fuck up's on the audio, was not even a fan of the neon graphics as well, simplistic will always be the right option. Loved watching some old halo 3 again, was surprised reciprocity didn't take the W. Pistola and snipedown both still had some sick highlights.  

As I mentioned before, REC’s problem was objective efficiency. It was obvious their shots and individual skill were on point, but you shouldn’t be outslaying your opponents by 10 kills and losing the game. I have no doubt they’ll practice and be out with a vengeance in Austin. I’ll be rooting for them all the way!

33 minutes ago, Aski said:

PogChamp

That part @ 11:28 hurt to watch.

1 hour ago, Larry Sizemore said:

High quality, very listenable, great rhythm to their commentary.

Relax, you rock too.

No. Hard Ways MY duo! 😡

• Fire (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

No. Hard Ways MY duo! 😡

Love ya brotha <3

I do hate that you didn’t get to cast with Scott. I felt shitty about that.

3 hours ago, Hully said:

Considering all xbox's were connected to the internet through the same network that isn't shocking to hear.

What you'd want to do is manually assign IP addresses to the xbox's(since this is required for Xbones IIRC), and then connect the group of 8 to their own switch. No reason to have the xbox's connected to the internet, nor have all connected to the same network.

• Upvote (+1) 4

46 minutes ago, theslatcher said:

Considering all xbox's were connected to the internet through the same network that isn't shocking to hear.

What you'd want to do is manually assign IP addresses to the xbox's(since this is required for Xbones IIRC), and then connect the group of 8 to their own switch. No reason to have the xbox's connected to the internet, nor have all connected to the same network.

Thank you for bringing this up and making me remember. I was briefly considering this when Lethul had FMJ and blew someones head off through a wall on guardian with snipe. I don't really have a good way to test this but I do want to see the difference between a properly setup network and a network on the scale of the UGC event on MCC LAN. I do think its a pretty done deal as far as the mass network/internet connection bogging down performance wise but I want to see just how much at that scale. It could basically be the entire problem and if its not that would help to show there is something code related. Either way though it would provide useful information for 343 and future TOs

5 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

Skillshot announced Grand Finals & had ceremony/winnerview after. 

They were separate shows.

Oh I’m sure it was announced and communicated well on stream. I’m just saying it wasn’t well communicated in the venue itself.

1 hour ago, Commander Eagle said:

Oh I’m sure it was announced and communicated well on stream. I’m just saying it wasn’t well communicated in the venue itself.

It was made over the loud speaker that blasted your ears off everytime you walked past it. They gave everyone 15 minutes notice.

8 hours ago, FrankTheShow said:

Wanna stream about it?

*cough* bomb planted *cough*

shiiiiiiiiit. Im always down

6 hours ago, Zavehi said:

This is a weird event, because while I did actually enjoy myself at this event there were tons of things that basically made this event a far better experience on stream then it was in the venue.

Just getting the pros out of the way early. CE tournament/community/set up was awesome, the actual main stage was very nice, Beyond people were amazing (Shoutout to @Hard Way (Your casting was fucking on point man, been listening since I got home), @Silos, @Commander Eagle, @Humpflung, @Sandman, and anyone else I met this weekend. You all are cool as fuck.) and the games on Sunday were great.

Now then...

Venue:

There is really only one way to put it. The venue is bad.

The building itself isn't really the main issue, its just in the middle of nowhere. Really nothing around there for food options or anything to do, and the closest part of St. Louis is not a place you actually want to go. Only things within walking distance are basically meh fast food and a mexican restaurant. Hotels in the immediate area are basically motels so that wasn't even really an option food wise. Traveling by car was not a realistic possibility for friday and a lesser extent on saturday due to the weather (which is not in anyones control). The venue itself had pretty horrible food on top of that, with very few options and the ones they did had were basically burgers that were cooking all day, nachos that would require an iron stomach to keep in your system for longer than 1 hour and hot dogs that I got sick from on Friday. Just judging it on the very low scale of venue food, this was some of the worst i'd ever had.

Getting onto the venue set up. CE area was super cool, but was nearly entirely community driven as most of the consoles/CRTs were provided by community members. The mini main stage for CE was super well done The open bracket area was basically impossible to get through while matches were being played as it was so tight, which basically cut off that whole area to spectators. Basically there was not enough room to run a tournament as large as they sold, and if all the teams showed up for the passes that were sold it probably would have been a disaster. One of the feature stations did not have a screen set up for spectators so there was no way to even watch that in the venue on Friday unless you streamed on your phone, and even when everything was set up correctly it was hard to watch as it was directly against the seating for the main stage.

VIP area was a joke really which was disappointing as it was one of the best things about Worlds. Roped off area to the right of the mainstage seating so the view of the actual stage was pretty awful and it was generally just filled with all the players who weren't playing or Denial people so anyone who paid for that area didn't have a seat for most parts of the day and no one was checking badges so it would have been worthless to pay for it really.

Just as a note as well, there were certain talent members who had to be continually told by people who weren't even UGC staff to stop leaning or pushing their feet against shitty piping on the back of the casting desk (that may have had some issues earlier on in the weekend if I was told correct information). This was over the crowd and would have landed on 1-2 rows of people if anything had happened, so that was fun.

Production:

First off, props to Skillshot and @PROVERB (Don't actually know if he was directing that production, just know he was involved and I've given him some stick in the past so wanted to throw him in), CE and FFA stuff was really well done and they deserve credit for running well done stuff. There was a clear distinction between the events being run by different teams at this event.

A lot of the production stuff everyone knows from just watching from home, but jeez was it rough in the venue where you don't have something else to do. Downtime. Downtime. Downtime. For an event that had so many streams, there were a lot of times where there was nothing to watch. Player warm up times went on forever at times, screens weren't set up for all the streams for Friday, couldn't get into the open area and there were obviously tons of issues that caused delays that showed up on stream. There were a few times I just walked around for a while because there was nothing to do and thankfully there were a ton of people playing CE so that honestly took up most of my weekend. CE community is amazing honestly.

Tons of audio issues, especially with the sponsored headsets from Victrix headsets. Rec refused to play with the headsets in the state they were in which led to an hour of downtime on main stage at one point and the Victrix rep basically had to scramble around to get it fixed. Rest of the audio set ups for players were thrown together with a random combination of different mixamps and tons of players had issues with communication.

CE Trophy was not presented to the Legend and Patch on Saturday as it had not been 3D printed yet, and a community member had to track down the players just so they could get it on Sunday.

Mics for the analyst desk were as hard to hear in venue as they were on stream.

Multiple people in talent told me they had no idea what they were supposed to be wearing or what time they were showing up.

One of the teams in the Top 4 just didn't even show up to one of their matches on saturday and it was just rescheduled to later on for main stage which ended up causing delays.

Had multiple UGC employees/volunteers complain that the players basically treated the staff like trash over things they had no control over.

Feature stations and side stations had GT's while the main stage didn't. Some games were played with names randomly while others in the same round were not which creates really unneeded competitive advantages. Should have just been a hard rule one way or the other until they got to a certain point in the bracket where it was feasible.

Have no idea why the owner of Denial was allowed to contribute to the prize pool and tournament directly and advertise his other companies at an event where he had a team competing.

The list for this is unending.

Conclusion:

Conclusion is really this event wasn't awful, but it just wasn't good on a lot of levels. Anyone traveling to go as a pure spectator in most situations would not have gotten there money's worth for this event and I would not recommend anyone go to another event in this venue in that capacity. If it hadn't been for the CE tournament and freeplay I probably would have been pissed I went. I really like UGC and the people who work there, they are all genuinely nice people from my conversations with them, I just think they put themselves in over their own heads with the size of this tournament and with what they tried to accomplish. If they had just capped the team pass sales at some point and tried to run a cleaner event I think the whole thing would have come off better.

Thank God the CE stations were there haha That's where id go to whenever there was downtime. I agree with everything you've posted though. 

Also had a blast hanging with you and everyone! :D Nothing but good times!

((sorry for the double post ))

• Like (+1) 2

FFA --> ELEVATE VS. REC (UGC)

• FFA: 15 min.
  • Break: 45 min.
  • ELV vs REC: 35 min
  • In game: 50 min. In Break: 45 min.

ELEVATE VS. REC --> REC VS STATUS QUO (UGC)

• ELV VS. REC: 35 min
  • Break: 55 min
  • REC vs. SQ: 45 min.
  • In game: 1 hour 20 min. In Break: 55 min.

ELEVATE VS TRIFECTA --> REC VS TRIFECTA (MLG NOLA)

• ELV VS TRI: 57 min
  • Break: 27 min
  • REC VS. TRI: 52 min
  • In game: 1 hour 49 min. In Break: 27 min.

TOX VS SPLYCE --> TOX VS RENEGADES (MLG NOLA)

• TOX VS SPY: 1 hour 3 min
  • Break: 25 min
  • TOX VS RNG: 54 min
  • In game: 1 hour 57 min. In break: 25 min.

Just for fun I thought I should also add the long ass break from saturday. I think ugc was fixing audio issues on mainstage which should've been and was priority, just wanted to add it. (Also they played a c stream match or something in this, but i am only counting time between mainstage matches)

DENIAL VS WRATH --> REC VS GMS (UGC)

• DENIAL VS WRATH: 34 min
  • Break: 1 Hour 36 min.
  • REC VS GMS: 1 Hour
  • In game: 1 hour 34 min. In Break 1 hour 36 min.

hopefully i did the math right on this lmao.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I thought it was pretty well known this event wasnt gonna actually be LAN? Another disappointing finish and Saltdown is back!!!

42 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

I thought it was pretty well known this event wasnt gonna actually be LAN? Another disappointing finish and Saltdown is back!!!

I don't understand what you mean. As in you thought they were playing online or that it was understood the network would be being used heavily so that the LAN function in MCC wouldn't play as well as it could?

who's got the graphic that shows a streak of what team is currently on top (was a square with lots of boxes that went STK->final boss->str8->final boss, etc). 

7 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I don't understand what you mean. As in you thought they were playing online or that it was understood the network would be being used heavily so that the LAN function in MCC wouldn't play as well as it could?

While a hot switch might affect networking, the ghost melees and bloodshots happened at dh 2v2 which didn't use a super switch on the main stage I believe. It's also a known issue that these occur way more commonly than OG. also he probably meant that the event wouldn't be on real lan, aka having to connect to an online server to play local. 

• Like (+1) 1