FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

So... that was an amazing event. I'm really happy Tox won. Denial was a surprise for me. I was on the "Trash-Shele-Bandwagon"  before the event, I'll admit it (:mj:), but, I'm honestly glad Online-Warrior Universal Champion Shele was able to prove himself SO thoroughly on "LAN". It honestly makes me really happy for the guy.  He played really great. (I am glad that Lethul pounded him bottom base on Onslaught in that 1v1 BR battle, though. :kappa: ). I could say some stuff about REC, but I don't want to get fanboy'd. :walshy: I could say stuff about the audio issues and the down time, but we are already aware of those issues. :Toxic:  I'm just really happy with how the event turned out, even though I like H3 the least out of the original trilogy and I rank it pretty low in the entire series. It's way better to watch than it is to play and this event did not disappoint in the watching department. :prayers:

What really needs to be said/asked is: When is the aim update coming out? Additionally, IS Beyond still a sponsor for Tox? Because if not, I would 100% pay like $10 a month if I knew the money was going to support them directly and it got Beyond's name on their jerseys... :ace:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

Why are people saying "LAN"? Did UGC not enable LAN mode on MCC? You're still online on your Xbox in that mode FYI 

29 minutes ago, VinnyMendoza said:

Why are people saying "LAN"? Did UGC not enable LAN mode on MCC? You're still online on your Xbox in that mode FYI 

I think you mean me, considering I haven't seen anyone else use "LAN". I used it because I wasn't certain how the tournament was networked. 

4 hours ago, Proto said:

The first Halo 3 weekend of 2019 has officially come to an end, congratulations to TOX on winning the event! Thank you to UGC & 343 for the event, and I cannot wait to continue to watch streams and thus watching the HCS Invitational in March. 

This post will be very similar to the feedback threads we used to do a few years ago . With the Grassroots program in place and thus many events being run by indepedent TOs such as UGC, this feedback is going to be even more crucial, and I hope corrections are made for future events with the help of 343.

A point I would like to address before getting into the rest of the post:
This is NOT, I repeat, NOT, a post that is being done in the name of trashing UGC/343. This is for constructive criticism to help improve future events. We are all grateful that Halo competitions are continuing - and it's fantastic to be excited for Halo again. If you have feedback to give, do so in a respectful way. Much of what will be addressed are nit picky topics - because they are what will take these broadcasts to the next level and make the experience enjoyable for ALL.

With that said, let's get into it:

GOOD

- CE stream 
I can't stress enough how enjoyable the CE 2v2 stream was. @Hard Way is a casting animal - Gandhi sharing his wealth of CE knowledge was excellent - @Knighty Knight was also very solid. The graphics/overlay were excellent. All in all the CE 2v2 exceeded all my expectations and I am so glad it was part of the event.

@Tashi - With future events, I genuinely believe there should be side tournaments such as CE 2v2 or Halo 2 FFA - hell both would be amazing. 343 has said previously their desire for events to have a feeling of being a celebration of any and all things Halo. That can be accomplished by having these side tournaments alongside the main tournament. Watching the 2v2 stream on one monitor with the Halo 3 4v4 on my main monitor gave me that feeling that this is a true Halo weekend. 

- Talent/personalites - Falloutt, Shyway
Overall, the talent and personalities were great. The usual crew - Clutch, Onset, Bravo, Wonderboy, Elamite, Walshy, etc. were all great as always. Just like many, I am hoping to see @TheSimms at all future events he can possibly attend. Legion was a great mix of his very funny personality and Halo knowledge.

Lottie is an excellent desk host and her banter with those on the desk with her is enjoyed by many.

@Falloutt and Shyway are two guys I want to give a special shoutout to. Falloutt, for those that know him, is old school - he is a former professional GoW player during the glory days of MLG, and has made the transition into caster/presenter in the past few years. His knowledge of Halo history combined with his professionalism and natural ability made for an excellent experience of stage hosting. 

Shyway was a very solid addition to the analyst desk. I will admit, after watching him on a few of the UGC HCS podcast streams, I was skeptical as he would interrupt his guests in an attempt to relate too much and show his understanding of what the guest was saying. With that said, on the desk this weekend, he was a very solid addition. He was not afraid to challenge the likes of Clutch or Elamite or Heinz to bring up points that are not the repeated/cliche themes spoken about hundreds of times throughout the weekend. Kudos to you Shyway. 

- Number of streams & quad POV streams
This doesn't need much explanation - the number of available streams as well as the quad POV streamers was excellent. Having matches up on both monitors throughout the weekend was fantastic. Along with the number of streams, having the surplus of talent to cast all those matches by people such as @throoper adds to it. If UGC can have multiple streams throughout a weekend, future events can as well. 

- Skillshot production
This was touched on a bit in the discussion of the CE 2v2 stream, but the Skillshot production was great throughout the weekend. The Halo 3 FFA stream has great, even on mainstage - switching POVs was flawless with no issues of incorrect names/cameras on players and no lag/buffering when switching. 

NEEDED IMPROVEMENTS

- Audio.
Audio throughout the weekend was more problematic than it was stable. This occured on the desk, on the mainstage - the audio issues seemed to be present all over. Coming back from a commercial  to only being able to hear one, or none, of the members of the panel is an easy way to have people quickly close their browser. 

- Graphic Errors: Spelling, Gametype Pictures, Player Names & Cameras
The graphic errors throughout the weekend, to be blunt, were simply unacceptable. These errors ranged from incorrect spelling (EXAMPLE: Feature Station "Cahrlie" or "Assult" among many other examples) to pictures of Amplified being used for Onslaught on the series gametype graphics to multiple times where player names and cameras did not match. 

Attention to detail is everything. This cannot be stressed enough. Issues like spelling, using incorrect pictures for gametypes, etc. shows a lack of attention to detail. Do mistakes happen? Of course they do - but on Saturday alone I lost track of the amount of mistakes present on the broadcast. These are easily preventable if attention to detail is given. These are what separate a bad broadcast from a great broadcast. 

- Downtime. Downtime. Downtime.
This has been stressed with most events, but downtime continued to be an issue this weekend. What the cause of that downtime was I am not to say, but it simply needs to be improved upon. Viewer numbers rise and fall because of downtime, and it is hard to keep interest when such periods of downtime occur. If this means being more stern with rules about players needing to be on the stage at a certain time - do so. If they don't like it that's too bad. TOs need to put their foot down and let people know they need to be where they are supposed to be at the given time.

- Stream stuttering; mainstage especially
This was a pretty major problem throughout the weekend, both on the mainstream and sidestreams. It seemed to happen more after switching POVs. Oddly enough, this did NOT seem to happen with the Skillshot streams - even the Halo 3 stream done on the mainstage, which was produced by skillshot, had none of the same stutter/buffering issues - so I'm not sure what the issues were. 

- Transitions causing gameplay to start/show up 5-10 seconds into the game
The transitions going into the games seemed to be delayed, or even if they were not - with them in place, viewers would not be seeing the stream until around 5 seconds into the match. Transition graphics are fine but could easily be started just before the game is about to begin. If you are going to have transition graphics in place, have the transition end early (when the map is just about load up) versus removing time from the actual game view itself. 

- Day One Mainstage Gamertags
With this point - I would like to stress - it is understood this is an Xbox problem, not to do with UGC. I am not sure what can be done to fix this issue - someone with some better insight can hopefully post with some kind of information that can help.

- Disconnect in what was going with other matches
This did not occur as frequently as other things listed above, but it did occur. Storytelling throughout an event is vital, and that is done by those on the desk or the casters. They need to be relayed the proper information so they can continue to speak of the news/storylines. If you can't do it through a headset, have someone walk over and hand them a note. However it has to get done, get it done - again: attention to detail to bring a broadcast to the levels of being great.

- Talent dress code
With this, consistency is key. Casual or business casual - blazers with t-shirts - whatever the choice is made by the TO, have it be one throughout the weekend, again for the sake of professionalism. 

If anyone else has feedback - whether watching from home or those who attended the event, post up and hopefully help to make future events even better.

I suck at forming words but i think I may write up a post about my criticism for the Live spectator experience. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, valaea said:

also Shele had a tage in 2015??

Reminds me of when people discovered Ulrich 😂 

I made a quick recap of the weekend for anybody that may have either missed it/is living under a rock around here for some reason. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I found it pretty funny how Pistola got 3rd after talking shit about "Online kids" and saying how he is a God on LAN.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 6
  • Fire (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

12 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

I found it pretty funny how Pistola got 3rd after talking shit about "Online kids" and saying how he is a God on LAN.

Yea but he definitely played really well. I feel like RECs problems weren't down to one player. More their obj efficency. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Is there a replay of the CE tournament floating around?  It was the one thing I wanted to see this weekend and I missed it :(

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Is there a replay of the CE tournament floating around?  It was the one thing I wanted to see this weekend and I missed it :(

This is the entire VoD for the 2v2 event.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Fire (+1) 3

Hopefully scrims can hold us over for the next 2 months. The one positive of the pro league were the 2 days of streamed matches to look forward to each week

• Like (+1) 2

I will have a write up on the event as a live viewer later on tonight. There will be :Toxic:.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

I suck at forming words but i think I may write up a post about my criticism for the Live spectator experience. 

Wanna stream about it?

*cough* bomb planted *cough*

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 3
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

1 hour ago, FeaR said:

Now what do we do until March?:mj:

Punisher season 2 starts in a few days. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Commander Eagle said:

CE Announcements: There were no announcements in the venue for the CE tournament, not even for the finals. I wasn’t even aware it was going on until halfway into the first game. They should have at least made an announcement to let interested people know. They also didn’t even give out the trophy then? But waited until the next day.

Skillshot announced Grand Finals & had ceremony/winnerview after. 

They were separate shows.

43 minutes ago, Trespa5s said:

Thanks!  I really appreciate it!

9 minutes ago, Hully said:

Punisher season 2 starts in a few days. 

true detective season 3 started last night. i heard its really good

1 minute ago, Craneteam said:

true detective season 3 started last night. i heard its really good

it was almost as good as high level classic halo gameplay 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just now, Joseph said:

it was almost as good as high level classic halo gameplay 

yeah i missed that and the saints winning to watch ugc. definitely made the right choice

1 hour ago, Trespa5s said:

Hard Way and Gandhi calling Halo 1 are like Marv Albert and Doug Collins calling the NBA back in the day.

• Fire (+1) 2