FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Classic Halo Esports and HCS Grassroots 2019 Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, NAK said:

Anyone clip that Extermination on this heretic flag? I was watching the quad view's and one happened by a Denial player ( I think Str8 Sick, actually Aries). 

Damn casters calling listen ins making us miss these 😠

For real though that was the best cast of the entire weekend from GB & Walsh. Relaxed when it needed to be, hype when it needed to be and plenty of theory crafting from both. Absolutely loved it.

Another note: halo 3 is very tough to observe. Enjoyed the challenge. Here's hoping I get to do it again in March

• Like (+1) 2

wait so what happened to crowdfunding???  as I recall they had at least $5k donated

56 minutes ago, FrankieFourShot said:

Well @LethuL has now won an event in H3, H:R, H4, H2A, and H5... What a legend.

Edit:  I actually don't think he ever won in H4...

No one won with H4

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 6
  • Toxic (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Damn casters calling listen ins making us miss these 😠

For real though that was the best cast of the entire weekend from GB & Walsh. Relaxed when it needed to be, hype when it needed to be and plenty of theory crafting from both. Absolutely loved it.

Another note: halo 3 is very tough to observe. Enjoyed the challenge. Here's hoping I get to do it again in March

I watched the 8 POVs live for the first time ever probably. It isn't easy to follow at all. Really does make you appreciate the Casters. I wasn't even watching Aires' screen when it happened, I heard "Extermination" and looked over and saw the Medals.

Great work this weekend though. I think Halo is in a good place with its current Caster/Analyst pool (you included obviously). Appreciate the work. :simms:

- Hell of a weekend, most I've enjoyed watching Halo since X Games 2016. 

- This is how we build a foundation going forward, can't wait for the invitational and G4G coming up!

- Denial showed out. Shele, wow. Aries, wow. Str8 Sick and Commonly played great all weekend too.

- Definitely hoping to see more fight from Rec going forward.

- Grats to Tox and APG especially for responding in the second series. Still hoping to see the full Tox roster w/ Frosty and Royal 2 compete in H3 at some point.

- Some production issues that persisted through the weekend, but still, major props to UGC, all the talent and everyone else involved in making this happen.

On a somewhat unrelated note, found a dope video (and channel for those interested in this type of stuff) talking about Installation 01's development and progress. Been brought up on these forums before, so I figured you guys might find it to be worth the watch :) 

• Fire (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Frostbite XV2 said:

Totally hate being a negative nancy, but this entire game has been everything that's wrong with Halo, but fan-made, lol. This is the same company that dedicated two billion man hours to making some dumb cinematic trailer with assets that won't be used again in a CG environment, and is dedicating resources to allowing you to customize like, three parts of your shin guards. Oh, and their dev test map is fucking Relic, so. Speaks volumes. Priorities in allllllll the wrong places.

Eldewrito totally fucked the legal camel's ass, but it was and guarantee will be better than this one. They at least fixed the BR, lmao.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

10 hours ago, Proto said:

Not your fault at all. Yesterday Joe Fries had his hair tied up with a blue blazer and t shirt on - Clutch and Knighty were still wearing sport coats. It's been throughout the weekend so nothing to beat yourself up over.

I definitely didn't get the memo. 😐

2 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Totally hate being a negative nancy, but this entire game has been everything that's wrong with Halo, but fan-made, lol. This is the same company that dedicated two billion man hours to making some dumb cinematic trailer with assets that won't be used again in a CG environment, and is dedicating resources to allowing you to customize like, three parts of your shin guards. Oh, and their dev test map is fucking Relic, so. Speaks volumes. Priorities in allllllll the wrong places.

Eldewrito totally fucked the legal camel's ass, but it was and guarantee will be better than this one. They at least fixed the BR, lmao.

They didnt fix the br. It was just hitscan and had bigger hitboxes. Still had spread

1 minute ago, Riddler said:

They didnt fix the br. It was just hitscan and had bigger hitboxes. Still had spread

Hitscan's still a good bandaid.

• Like (+1) 1

I want to see people talk more about Tox (or whoever wins) at the desks next time. Like yes Shele was impressive. I've been waiting on Aries to do that since I played him the first time at I believe computer arena. Please keep going. So it really was so cool to see but its crazy the winning team just sort of got brushed off in regard to MVP etc and really a lot of the post event discussion just because they've been winning

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I think you pretty much touched on all the points I was thinking of.  

The two MASSIVE things that need to be worked on are the downtime and audio issues.  

It got to the point where I was just watching YouTube videos and flipping back to see if the game(s) had actually started yet.  The CE stream was able to fit in multiple series in the time mainstage got one in, despite CE being 2v2 slayer to 50 and playing rather slowly in comparison. 

I get that audio is a whole beast at these events that isn't handled easily, but in that case stream an audio-only test to a throwaway account the day before and just sit one person at a laptop/their phone and have them listen.  That way you can get any hiccups sorted and can adjust the audio levels at will instead of having to try to pinpoint stuff in between matches/series. 

The other stuff can all be improved upon but to me they aren't nearly as a "stream breaking" as having no games to  watch and not being able to hear once the game has started.  

Massive props to Skillshot though, the quality was awesome all weekend and it was nice to see Gandhi make his return to the mic and sticks.  Look forward to seeing more of these "mini events" at future weekends. 

• Like (+1) 1

Congrats TOX!

Man, I missed watching competitive Halo 3. I was glued to the stream all Sunday even with the NFL playoffs on. Can’t wait to watch more!

• Upvote (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, CyReN said:

Congrats TOX!

Man, I missed watching competitive Halo 3. I was glued to the stream all Sunday even with the NFL playoffs on. Can’t wait to watch more!

Watching TOX win, and the Eagles lose was a great Sunday!

• Like (+1) 4

So. This event was amazing. But here I am, once again leaving an event, watching finals vod......and once again, crowd noise is dead from lack of crowd mics.....I just. I'm so done with tournament orgs dude. It's such a simple detail and this weekend was the most hype since 2010. Stream quality really does lose 20 points without the crowd

Feedback: ce stream was dope. The video and audio quality was great. Casting was great. The player cams were well positioned. The skillshot replays were done pretty good (99/100 quality). Though there was still too much downtime at the end for no apparent reason (example is losers semis finished but took 30mins to start losers finals. Grand finals took over an hour. Yall have one hour to find the next opponents and get them ready). I wish the ce grand finals would have been hosted by ugc. A h3 game was going on, but ce could have started after that series ended. The Downtime would have been acceptable if this was the case  

H3: gameplay was exciting. The video quality was excellent. Audio needs works. We need crowd mics. Im not sure in the streaming equipment available on the final day since every pov was streamed, but... the main stream station needs to host the side streams during down time. Games should be organized so they start at dif times. So play game one on stream alpha, then Start series 1 on bravo then start series 1 on Charlie after game 1. Then have ugc host which ever side stream has a game. This is how you keep viewers and keep people engaged. Smash is a game thats as grassroots as they come and they grew and grew in viewership over the past 6 years. Part of this is maximum downtime is 5mins and averages probably 3 minutes. 

The overlay on finals day just wasnt good game design. It was not clearly comprehensible. 

For h3 mcc, if the xbones only holds 36 names, you can add ugc blue a, ugc blue b, ugc blue c etc etc. so then we at least know who is who most likely unless theres two tags that start the same. Pros can tweet out what tag theyre gunna play under (outside of the top 8). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Where can I find rebroadcasts for CE? 

Skillshot twitch.tv i believe.